1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of any network utilities (ping, dig, nslookup, etc) or ports of GNU software for the Palm?

I've seen a few PQAs that rely on external URLs, but I'd rather some application that did the querying directly. I know PalmOS has socket support, but I haven't been able to find anything that does what I need (other than some basic ping app).

Thanks!
    The only one I have seen is NetToolBox, but it is a PQA.

There is also a few options built into the Treo:

Go into Prefs>Network. Fromt he pull-down menu select Options then View Log.

Tap anywhere inside the logs and a cursor will appear. From here you can do the following:

ping, nettrace and finger.
    Originally posted by Appleman
    The only one I have seen is NetToolBox, but it is a PQA.

There is also a few options built into the Treo:

Go into Prefs>Network. Fromt he pull-down menu select Options then View Log.

Tap anywhere inside the logs and a cursor will appear. From here you can do the following:

ping, nettrace and finger.
    Wow!! Who knew the Palm OS had a commandline?? That's completely trippy.

Note that finger can only handle 'finger host' syntax, not 'finger user@host' syntax.

At first I was hoping nettrace was a "traceroute" command, as that'd be very handy for diagnosing connectivity problems, but looking at the options, I can see it allows you to trace the Treo's network traffic, in very flexible levels of detail.

Any idea if documentation for nettrace is available anywhere (presumably it's available for registered Palm OS developers, if nothing else)? I've recently been looking at Palm OS terminal apps, and have found that none of them works completely when telnetting to port 80 and GETting documents. Seems like this nettrace could be very helpful in understanding what's causing these apps to fail, if I understood how to use all the options and interpret the output of 'nettrace -p'.

Typing '?' at the Network Log prompt reveals that there are also a bunch of other mysterious commands besides finger, nettrace, and ping. Would be nice to be able to find out what they're for.
    Yeah, after I posted that I tried playing with nettrace and discovered that it wasn't that straight forward.
    I had found one a long time ago called Palmping. It appears that the company may be toes up, but the software does work. (if you can find it... )
    Mergic Ping also works very well.