1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of a MIDI editor (for Windows/Linux) that I can use to trim a few seconds from a MIDI file? I don't like any of the ringtones and would like to create my own.

thanks!
  2.    #2  
    Odd.. can't seem to get this one to do much with the MS JVM. I'll try the Sun JVM next, I suppose.
    Originally posted by ragweed
    Does anyone know of a MIDI editor (for Windows/Linux) that I can use to trim a few seconds from a MIDI file? I don't like any of the ringtones and would like to create my own.

thanks!
    well, in spite of the fact that you sort of insulted all the ringtones i made (just kidding, music is a matter of taste) i'll tell you anyway. you can edit midi files with anvil studio, available as a shareware download and the free features are sufficient for this purpose. then you save the file as a type 0 midi.

to make it into a pdb file for syncing onto your treo, either use palm midi desktop or, much easier, treocentral's free script on the web here

http://www.treocentral.com/ringtones...0fun/index.php
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks a bunch! No offense intended! The tune I wanted is just a bit obscure is all..
    Thanks a bunch! No offense intended! The tune I wanted is just a bit obscure is all..
    no offense taken, as i said, i was just kidding. music is subject to the widest taste variations you could imagine. i have gotten requests for stuff, but with the amount of money in it (not much, believe me) i can't justify downloading mp3's or something to learn songs, then finding midi files, just in case someone wants something.

would MUCH rather help folks learn to make their own. that's really all i did, made a bunch that i liked. but since i like so much stuff, and most of the ringtones out there at the time were causing the treo to crash and just sounded like junk, i made enough to sell a few.

i haven't decided whether i'll even make any more or just stick with what i've got and let others pick up on all the different types of music.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the help!.. I was actually looking for the Super Mario Bros 2 "Land" level song. Well, maybe ~5 seconds worth. Or perhaps the "Mario Death" sequence from Super Mario Bros. 1.
    as i was searching around for midi files i definitely saw sites with video game themes. i did not bookmark them because i am too old to know what they should sound like as ringtones... but if you do a google search on the name of the game and 'midi' you should have no problem finding them.
    Will this work on a Treo 270.
    If this will work on the treo then, once you convert the midi to a pdb and then sync it to the treo - where does it go on the treo so that it appears in your list of ringtones.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
  9.    #9  
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm trying out Ringo right now, but there's got to be some free alternative.. anyone?
  10.    #10  
    Is the mid->pdb converter php source freely available? I'd love to host something like this for personal use.
  11.    #11  
    Stupid, I know.

Feel free to redistribute.
    http://arcade.ragweed.net/super_mario2_1.zip

Thanks for everyone's help! This is sure to be no more annoying than every other lame ringtone out there!
    Is the mid->pdb converter php source freely available? I'd love to host something like this for personal use.
    The MIDI>PDB conversion web page hosted here at Treocentral was written by the people who sell ringtones here. It would be somewhat abusive to use it to set up a competing site. I was considering setting up a site of my own (for free use), but decided, instead, to support the folks who provide this excellent resource.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
  13.    #13  
    Definitely not to set up a competing site. Just wanted to set it up for my own internal use.