1.    #1  
    Upgraded Comp to XP,can't get Treo to Sync over the USB.

Do not have original disk, it feels like USB port is not working????

"Connecting using Direct USB/Serial" then...."The connection between your handheld and the desktop computer could not be established.Please check your setup and try again...."
    you might try downloading the palm desktop and hotsync programs here

http://www.palm.com/support/downloads/

(there has been an upgrade since what came with the treo anyway) and then re-install. you might even have to uninstall what you have on there if just reinstalling does not help.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    The problem you are encountering is common. You are probably coming to XP from 95 or 98 and therefore jumping tracks from the old MSDOS architecture of those versions to the NT base of XP. The drivers are completely ddifferent on both platforms and frankly the upgrade built into the XP install is poor. Most people find they get a much more stable system by installing XP as a complete and fresh install. The analogy I use is upgrading PC hardware by adding new components but the underlying architecture remains the same. You will always have bus speed problems in this instance. It is the same for upgrading to XP - you will always have weird niggly problems unless you install it clean.

If you decide not to do this, try the USB Reg Clean utility from Handspring support. This un-enumerates the USB drivers from the registry of your PC and also clears out old .INF files left behind by Palm drivers.
    hkey_localmachine - enum - usb - 082d

I also recommend that you check out www.microsoft.com/hcl to make sure that your hardware (USB host controller and chipset) are actually compatible with XP - they may not be and in that case a PCI USB card that is newer than your existing USB port setup may be required.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Go to:

Start: Programs: Accessories: System Tools: System Information

Look and see if you have an IRQ conflict with the USB port and some other device. I had a similiar problem with my computer at work and finally found the conflict which I fixed by removing a modem I was not using.
    Palm IIIx -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Verizon Treo 700P -> Verizon Motorola Moto Q 9m
    Jabra JX10 -> Motorola HS-850 -> Aliph Jawbone

Arizona Criminal Attorney |
    Arizona DUI Attorney