Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I have been suffering through Fatal Exceptions on my TREO 300 if I forgot to close Avantgo before closing my clamshell, and I hoped that with the purchase of Avantgo by Sybase, we would get an updated client.

I had the latest client (4.2 English) and it still was having problems. On a whim, I downloaded the "AvantGo Palm OS Client (gzip'd tar file)" and extracted it onto my desktop.

I changed the name of the extracted file to .prc and installed that to my TREO-- after I sync'd, the problem seemed to go away!

I have opened and closed my phone ~30 times, surfed around news channels and opened/closed it some more--- NO FATAL EXCEPTIONS!

Go to https://my.avantgo.com/account/downloads.html to download the file-- let me know if this works for you!

[DISCLAIMER: I just tried this an hour ago, so time will tell if this solution will REALLY work. Maybe they'll enhance the Palm OS client eventually?

Let me know if this works for you!?

./Philip
    I would consider doing this, but the version listed as gzip'd is 3.3 and I would rather not be using an older version. I will be interested in hearing if it's still stable for you in the next few days.

Thanks for the information.

Geoffrey
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    when I do a Help>About, it still says "4.2 Build 1165" and nothing looks different- searched for any other files on the Palm and found none...

dunno if I really did anything, or if this is a wild goose chase, but it seems more stable, and I've been in Avantgo for quite a while now, all the while opening and closing the clamshell which caused the problem in the first place...

[DEVELOPING]
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Okay, into day 2 on this, and I've been syncing, going in and out of Avantgo, kept it loaded and closed the flip for an hour...

Opened the flip- Avantgo still up and NO PROBLEM!

When I compare the two .prc files, the UNIX version is 370 kb and the version that came with the English Wintel install reads 316 kb so these are obviously different files.

Try it! It's NOT an old version of the Avantgo client--- what's the worst that could happen? You have to REVERT one .prc file?

Doooooitttttt and let me know if you too are successful at killing off the Fatal Exceptions---

P.S. --->How embarassing is it when you have to pull your stylus out and do a reset while your on public transit? The Windows CE guys laugh @ you! -- I really love Avantgo, and now it seems that the Achilles heel has somehow been rectified.

./Philip
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Okay- got a Fatal Exception after TREO Tools turned the phone "radio" back ON in the morning...could duplicate the problem through testing, so just don't leave on Avantgo overnight (or other times you might use Treo Tools to turn your phone on and off)...
    Do you know of any other apps that will bring your phone back up after a reset that behave themselves with avantgo? I had the same problem with fatal exceptions..
    Someone suggested I try this:

http://electricpocket.com/products/stretch.html

I'll give it a shot tonight with Avantgo..
    Originally posted by ragweed
    Someone suggested I try this:

http://electricpocket.com/products/stretch.html

I'll give it a shot tonight with Avantgo..
    I don't believe that Stretch works with the Treo 300.
    Originally posted by phildro
    Okay- got a Fatal Exception after TREO Tools turned the phone "radio" back ON in the morning...could duplicate the problem through testing, so just don't leave on Avantgo overnight (or other times you might use Treo Tools to turn your phone on and off)...
    What version of TreoTools? This is the first report I've seen of this problem. All TreoTools does is turn on the radio; it doesn't use hacks or anything else like that.
    I'm using 1.0.4. I haven't tried AvantGo again since my last post. I somehow (stupid, stupid) managed to nuke my entire addressbook (long story) and had to rebuild it from scratch.

Might be something to look into.