1.    #1  
    I've recently installed treo tools on my 270 and what a great little utility it is! Should have taken advantages of it 8 months ago when it was free!
    However there is some sort of conflict that I've noticed and wonder if anyone else has experienced this.....
    I cannot send data via a gprs connection when treo tools is enabled. A CSD connection works fine, if I disable treo tools and send data via gprs it works fine!

Anybody experience this behavior?
    No problem here. I've used both the free and registered versions of TreoTools since I've had GPRS, and I've got no problems sending SMS, sending or receiving e-mail via Snapper, or web browsing.

Not sure what your problem could be...

(T-Mobile is my GPRS carrier, and I use a 270 also.)
  3.    #3  
    Well I've never seen anybody have a problem with it, that's why I checked it out!
    I installed it wed and enabled the reset feature and set the on/off times to on at 8am off at 630pm.
    At 630 it turned off, cool.
    At 8am thursday it turned on, cool.
    After it turned on a got an sms alert that I had new email so I enabled my gprs connection and went to retrieve my email from TreoMail and was prompted that "the treomail servers were down", tried it a second time and got the same result. I went to Blazer and it would not connect either and the same with Xiino. So I disabled my gprs connection and tried to get my email via a CSD connection and no problem worked fine. Tried Blazer and Xiino and they connected fine. Switched back to a gprs connection and tried the above and got the same results, no connection w/Blazer, Xiino or TreoMail! I went into treo tools and disabled both features and than tried to get my email w/gprs and it worked fine after disabling treo tools!
    The same scenario happened again this morning so deductive reasoning tells me it must be treo tools which is interfering with my ability to transfer data via gprs.....
    Am I wrong?

I'm using a 270 on Cingular's Network.
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Well I've never seen anybody have a problem with it, that's why I checked it out!
    I installed it wed and enabled the reset feature and set the on/off times to on at 8am off at 630pm.
    At 630 it turned off, cool.
    At 8am thursday it turned on, cool.
    After it turned on a got an sms alert that I had new email so I enabled my gprs connection and went to retrieve my email from TreoMail and was prompted that "the treomail servers were down", tried it a second time and got the same result. I went to Blazer and it would not connect either and the same with Xiino. So I disabled my gprs connection and tried to get my email via a CSD connection and no problem worked fine. Tried Blazer and Xiino and they connected fine. Switched back to a gprs connection and tried the above and got the same results, no connection w/Blazer, Xiino or TreoMail! I went into treo tools and disabled both features and than tried to get my email w/gprs and it worked fine after disabling treo tools!
    The same scenario happened again this morning so deductive reasoning tells me it must be treo tools which is interfering with my ability to transfer data via gprs.....
    Am I wrong?

I'm using a 270 on Cingular's Network.
    While I don't have the GPRS upgrade, I find it quite unlikely that TreoTools is interfering with your GPRS connection because TreoTools only does something in the following situations:

1) Unit is reset
    2) Alarm goes off (an alarm is the time you set for on or off)
    3) The clock is changed
    4) After a HotSync (it simply resets the alarm triggers)

When it does do something, it simply turns the radio on or off. I'd suggest making sure you have the latest version of TreoTools installed and then performing a soft reset after installing.

BTW, when you "turned TreoTools" off, all it does is clear its alarm database and sets a preference off...it doesn't do anything else.

Other issues I could possibly attribute to TreoTools, but I just looked at the code and it seems highly unlikely. Maybe some more experimentation will help you find the real culprit, i.e. hacks, TreoAlertMgr, some chat programs, etc. Of all my programs, TreoTools is the most benign.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm using version 1.04 and didn't have this problem prior to the install.
    I couldn't imagine that treo tools would have any effect on my gprs connection but this problem has only occured post this installation.
    Interestingly enough if I re-enable treo tools feature set after establishing a gprs connection and performing a communication w/TreoMail or Blazer than it seems to work fine. It seems to only occur initially after Treo tools has turned on the radio and I establish a gprs network connection. Weird!

I am using TreoAlertMgr and Verichat as you mentioned.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm using version 1.04 and didn't have this problem prior to the install.
    I couldn't imagine that treo tools would have any effect on my gprs connection but this problem has only occured post this installation.
    Interestingly enough if I re-enable treo tools feature set after establishing a gprs connection and performing a communication w/TreoMail or Blazer than it seems to work fine. It seems to only occur initially after Treo tools has turned on the radio and I establish a gprs network connection. Weird!

I am using TreoAlertMgr and Verichat as you mentioned.
    Do you have your network preferences set to automatically establish a connection? If so, there might be a timing issue. All I can say is that I use documented calls to turn on the radio...could be another bug in the Treo that only happens with some people...you're the first to report it. You might want to display the enable radio after reset and turn off the on times, but leave the off times. If that makes everything work, then your Treo definitely has some type of conflict when turning on the module.

The reason I mention TreoAlertMgr and Verichat is that I believe that they both use hacks which could cause odd things to happen. If you feel so inclined, you might want to disable/remove a lot of extra stuff and see if the problem still happens. I'm not saying that there is anything I can do about it (the code to turn on the radio is about 4 lines...can't get much simpler), but it may solve the mystery.
  7.    #7  
    The prefs for GPRS does give the option to connect to the data network whenever wireless mode is powered on and I do have this check marked however, this feature seems to only acknowledge that gprs is available on the network but does not actually establish a network connection w/gprs. This feature seems to be the same for everyone else who has questioned it.
    I will try your suggestion to have treo tools enabled to turn the radio on after a reset and only set the off time to a configured setting and see if that changes anything. To set just the off time do I go to the advanced feature and just set up an off time and days? Will this not turn on the radio if I don't put a custom time in the advanced feature to do so?
    TreoAlertMgr and Verichat do not use hacks but I do have some hacks installed.

Thanks again,
    Last edited by millerhifi; 02/07/2003 at 02:57 PM.
    To set just the off time do I go to the advanced feature and just set up an off time and days? Will this not turn on the radio if I don't put a custom time in the advanced feature to do so?
    TreoAlertMgr and Verichat do not use hacks but I do have some hacks installed.

Thanks again,
    You might want to uncheck that GPRS preference to connect to the network. On the Treo 300, that preference actually does connect to the data network.

The radio will only be turned on if you setup an on time...just setting an off time will just turn it off.

As for TreoAlertMgr and Verichat not using hacks...while they may not use hacks managed via HackMaster or X-Master, I believe they may still patch (hack) the system and I consider those hacks. The only app I have available that patches the system is Random Alarms; everything else uses documented calls and shouldn't have conflicts.
  9.    #9  
    With the Treo 270 it does not physically connect to the GPRS network it only displays the small triangle showing that the network is there, but just to test it out I will uncheck it.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by sgruby

.... Verichat is that I believe that they both use hacks which could cause odd things to happen....
    For the record, VeriChat does not use any "hacks" as you call them. VeriChat uses only published APIs from the various Palm vendors, which is why it runs smoothly on just about every system with PalmOS 3.5 or higher, and on PalmOS 5 (which does not allow "hacks").

If anyone has good reason to believe that there is a conflict between some app. and VeriChat, we invite you send us a note at support@pdaapps.com and we will investigate the issue promptly.

PDAapps
    Originally posted by PDAapps

For the record, VeriChat does not use any "hacks" as you call them. VeriChat uses only published APIs from the various Palm vendors, which is why it runs smoothly on just about every system with PalmOS 3.5 or higher, and on PalmOS 5 (which does not allow "hacks").

If anyone has good reason to believe that there is a conflict between some app. and VeriChat, we invite you send us a note at support@pdaapps.com and we will investigate the issue promptly.

PDAapps
    Thanks for the correction; does TreoAlertMgr patch the OS (use hacks)? When people have issues, I always like them to disable any application that may patch the OS.
  12.    #12  
    sgruby,

Just thought I'd let you know that for the last 2 days it seems to be working fine. I didn't do anything except instead of using the standard on/off times I went into the advanced area and set the on/off times there.
    Very strange........

Thanks again for your support.
    sgruby,

Just thought I'd let you know that for the last 2 days it seems to be working fine. I didn't do anything except instead of using the standard on/off times I went into the advanced area and set the on/off times there.
    Very strange........

Thanks again for your support.
    Before, did you try to use a combination of the simple and advanced settings? i.e. use simple for on and use advanced for off? I'm glad to hear that it is working, but I don't have an explanation.
  14.    #14  
    No, I didn't try any combinations. I just figured I would go to the advanced setting, create a set of on and off times for week days and weekends and left it to see how it would perform. And so far so good.

Thanks