Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Has anyone come up with any "solutions" for the loose SIM door? I'm just about ready to give up and call for a replacement, but I'm wondering if anyone has found any "magic" tape that will do it.

I've used clear packing tape (which seems the best) but stretches within a day or two and needs to be replaced. Cellophane tape lasts a couple of hours, and masking tape lasts a couple of minutes <g>.

So, unless someone has discovered a way to keep this darned cover closed tightly enough I'll get my second replacement. Since I'm not convinced that the third one will be that much better, it seems that if I could use a "low-tech" method to make it work fairly consistently I just wouldn't bother <sigh>.

Thanks.

Danita
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    Has anyone come up with any "solutions" for the loose SIM door? I'm just about ready to give up and call for a replacement, but I'm wondering if anyone has found any "magic" tape that will do it.
    I had the same problem and eventually ended up by replacing my Treo.
    Nothing works, including tapes, trying to manually adjust the platic tab that holds the door shut (Handspring advice!), etc.
    I was about to buy a Treo 270 when the sales guy demoed a Treo 270 with a loose SIM door. We had a hard time using the Treo because the SIM connection simply disengages. That threw cold water over my excitement.

That could have been a unit returned by a customer. I had almost done it. I wonder how frequent that is.

I have once bought an Ericsson R320s. Every two weeks the power just breaks down. I have to go and have it replaced 3X. The only hassle is reinstalling and re-synching things with the PC. I was told it's a phone board problem.

I just imagined would I go through the same thing all over again with a Treo? That would be a hassle.
    I had the exact same problem for so long and was using the tricks everyone used all this time to limited avail.

I have found the solution! So simple you'll kick yourself for not thinking about it!

Just bend the small plastic locking clip out a little as you would a metal clip. It works and the lock is much tighter now. Since the bending of the clip, the SIM door hasn't dropped off for me.

The simplest solutions are often the best.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Caseworks makes a very nice case that form fits the Treo 270 and I almost never have to remove it. The SIM card door is covered and protectedand I haven't had any trouble with it.
    If you look at the closed and locked sim door from the outside back of the phone, you will notice that there is a little open space behind the clip that keeps the door shut. For the door to be opened the clip has to be moved backwards into that little space. I figured if that space was blocked, it would be locked shut.

So I cut a little rectangle of rubber that would just squeeze into this space, and after the door is closed and locked, I simply inserted this little piece of rubber into the space. There is slight friction pushing it in, which has kept it from ever falling out, and it keeps the door clip from moving back at all, meaning the door is locked into place. It has never opened since unless I open it.

When I need to open the door (rarely), I just take a pin or a pair of tweezers and pull out the plug. When I am done, I just put it back in.

FYI The rubber I used was a piece that was designed originally to cover an empty USB port on a PC. Luckily, it had the exact needed thickness and rubbery consistency that allows it to stay in place (since it was designed for a nearly identical purpose of wedging into a gap and staying put). However, I am sure that a piece of any thick rubber gasket material, like a glass jar gasket, will work just as well.
    Originally posted by Abid

Just bend the small plastic locking clip out a little as you would a metal clip. It works and the lock is much tighter now. Since the bending of the clip, the SIM door hasn't dropped off for me.
    I discovered the same exact thing. Definitely works. Just be careful not to bend too far as the clip is very thin and could easily break. Bend just a small amount and then check. Bend a little more if necessary. Then again, if you break it, you're no worse off!
    Originally posted by Abid
    As I said before, of course I tried that solution (it was even the answer given by the Handspring hotline!), but it went loose again after some time.
    I eventually grew tired to bend that plastic tab and was afraid to break it.
    It was much easier to replace the device.
    The problem didn't reproduced in the two Treos I had since (I had to replace the two following replacements for other problems...).