Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any good VPN client I can use on a Treo 300 so I can get my corporate e-mail via POP?
    There's topgun ssh which is about the closest I've found but I don't think it can do portforwards. Is that what you want - SSH port forwards?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by slippytoad
    There's topgun ssh which is about the closest I've found but I don't think it can do portforwards. Is that what you want - SSH port forwards?
    I don't know anything about SSH. All I want to do is access company e-mail via POP, but VPN is required. Can you help?
    When you say VPN, I think you mean Virtual Private Network which is not a standard protocol but a way of setting up a secure "tunnel" over the Internet. There are many ways to do this - typically what you run on your side must match what your company provides at the protocol level. SSH is a protocol that creates a sort of VPN (you can establish a secure tunnel with it) and it requires you connect to an SSH server at the corporate end.

Ask your network guys what kind of VPN they are talking about. However, I doubt if there's a suitable program available for the Treo/Palm.
    First one to write an SSH2 client wins.
    Originally posted by slffl
    First one to write an SSH2 client wins.
    Yea, no kidding.
    Would I need the non-existent SSH2 client if I am trying to dial into the corporate LAN through one of our dial up numbers so I can get my corporate pop email direct to the Treo?
  8.    #8  
    How about this program I found at PalmGear.com:

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...5&prodID=42856

Thanks.
    There are a couple of VPN software apps for the Palm. My personal favorite was made by Mergic. I say "was" because I used to use it back in the days before I had my Treo, back when I had a Samsung I300.

There is no VPN client software for the Treo 300 (sadly, I believe it works on the 180 and 270). It has something to do with the Vision communications driver that Handspring had to write.

Both companies say that they are trying to solve the problem, but Handspring hasn't been forthcomming with details about the driver.

Disregard the noise about SSH. It ain't related.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    There are a couple of VPN software apps for the Palm. My personal favorite was made by Mergic. I say "was" because I used to use it back in the days before I had my Treo, back when I had a Samsung I300.

There is no VPN client software for the Treo 300 (sadly, I believe it works on the 180 and 270). It has something to do with the Vision communications driver that Handspring had to write.

Both companies say that they are trying to solve the problem, but Handspring hasn't been forthcomming with details about the driver.

Disregard the noise about SSH. It ain't related.

Druce,

I believe I need IPSec which Mergic VPN does not support (I think).

But... Mergic now supports the Treo 300:

Update Description
    Version 1.03 (11/27/02)
    - Added support for the Handspring Treo GPRS Update and the Handsping Treo 300.
    - Improved compatibility with some VPN servers including Netopia routers.
  11.    #11  
    How about this VPN client (movianVPN) for Palm OS?

http://www.movianvpn.com/products/products_vpn.html
    I guess I hadn't checked it for a while.

Once again, though, I would like to throw my weight behind Mergic. It was simple and stable. Movian seemed (at the time I evaluated it about a year ago) to have many more bells and whistles. In fact, there were options galore. And I tried them all. And never got it to work.

I had a really simple installation, using a Netopia router and a VPN. Nothing worked when I tried Movian. Mergic worked right away.
    Well, I tried Mergic cuz I thought we had PPTP. Apparently though IPsec is only setup.

So I tried Moviean and I got to where it was exchanging keys, but it then gives un error about failed to receive reply and times out. Anyone thinks this has to do with the Sprint proxy?

Sooooo close.
    The people at Mergic got their excellent vpn client working on the Treo 300 last november. I've been using ever since I bought my Treo with great success.

-Phil
    Hmmm, well I tried Mergic again, we got PPTP setup. It just times out. When I sign on should I see the data connection light up? Because it doesn't. What connection type are you using? MVPN to Modem or MVPN to PC?
    I have mine set up to do wireless hotsync's (I use the standard palm conduit to sync to my outlook client, including mail). To set it up, I pretty much followed the instructions on the Mergic we page at http://www.mergic.com/vpnHotSync.php.

I should point out that we've got two different vpn 'servers': one cisco and one microsoft. I tried the cisco without success and then tried the ms, which worked first try, so we never went back to investigate the problem w/cisco. When I first initiate a connection (from within the Mergic app), the data light does come on, but then goes off (grey) if I don't do anything.

I am using the MVPN to PC method.
    Hi- don't know whether this is the right thread, but thought I'd try.

Our IS department has just put the Treo 300 on its list of "disapproved" devices. Here's their explanation:

"We need to to stem the tide of [the use of Treo 300s]... since they require full and total user access to [the Windows registry on desktop computers]. If there were enough [Treo 300s], we could potentially lose control of our desktops, or the users of them could unknowingly infect their PC, or drop a worm behind our defensive outer wall.

Handspring has no date as to when they will not need Windows Registry Read/Write/Edit access to run their software."

It would seem to me that this can't be the case, or if so, there's something that our IS folks are missing. Can anyone help? I am not an IS type, I'm just a frustrated user who is seeing a change in my work environment that will hamper my use of a very helpful technology- I can't imagine that Handspring/Sprint would have designed a system that would potentially compromise the security of a corporate network, or machines on a corporate network- or would they?

Thanks for anyone who can give me further info- or suggest to me a place where I can get further info. to pass on to our IS folks.
    Originally posted by sclarkjohn

Our IS department has just put the Treo 300 on its list of "disapproved" devices. Here's their explanation:

"We need to to stem the tide of [the use of Treo 300s]... since they require full and total user access to [the Windows registry on desktop computers]. If there were enough [Treo 300s], we could potentially lose control of our desktops, or the users of them could unknowingly infect their PC, or drop a worm behind our defensive outer wall.

Handspring has no date as to when they will not need Windows Registry Read/Write/Edit access to run their software."
    Um, the only windows software required for the Treo 300 is Palm Desktop, and it's required for any palm device, not just the Treo. If your IT people restrict use of Palm Desktop,m they are unclear on the the concept oif technology support. This should be reviewed at the corporate level.

If you are, instead, discussing SBC, an optional add-on for the Treo, as a VP of IT I have all sorts of problems with the security holes that software can create, and would agree that it should be restricted, and IT should be proactive in offering alternative ways to get corporate email on a PDA.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Assuming that the only thing you are using is Palm desktop; I don't think that application does anything to the registry during a synch operation. If you are trying to use Business Connect, that I can understand. It was a headache to us and we trashed it for a verity of reasons not the least of which was the security concerns.

You should be able to make the case that Palm Desktop is not going to "take control" of the desktop. If you were using Business Connect, perhaps you can access your e-mail via POP or IMAP. If you have an exchange server and can use OWP, there are options for that as well.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    If you have an exchange server and can use OWP, there are options for that as well.
    Curious, when you say OWP, you mean Outlook Web Access, as in webmail, correct? What are the options for that? Xiino does not work, unless you are referring to changing the browser tags on the server side. Or have you found another solution?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast