Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Appleman

Curious, when you say OWP, you mean Outlook Web Access, as in webmail, correct? What are the options for that? Xiino does not work, unless you are referring to changing the browser tags on the server side. Or have you found another solution?
    Yes, I mean Outlook Web Access. You are indeed correct in that Xiino will not work. This will though and it is cheap. We have used it and it is slick, provides great security and is PDA device independent.
    PC what security issues are you talking about with buisness connect.. did you take a look at the white paper? What holes do you see as far as poor security with the buisness connect?
    "If you are, instead, discussing SBC, an optional add-on for the Treo, as a VP of IT I have all sorts of problems with the security holes that software can create, and would agree that it should be restricted, and IT should be proactive in offering alternative ways to get corporate email on a PDA."

and

"Curious, when you say OWP, you mean Outlook Web Access, as in webmail, correct? What are the options for that? Xiino does not work, unless you are referring to changing the browser tags on the server side. Or have you found another solution?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I mean Outlook Web Access. You are indeed correct in that Xiino will not work. This will though and it is cheap. We have used it and it is slick, provides great security and is PDA device independent."

Can you back up for me, folks? I'm afraid I don't know the technical lingo, and I'm looking for something I can print out and give to my IS folks. Can you explain in tech language 101?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by sclarkjohn
    [B

<snip>

Can you back up for me, folks? I'm afraid I don't know the technical lingo, and I'm looking for something I can print out and give to my IS folks. Can you explain in tech language 101?

Thanks. [/B]
    I, for one, would need some additional information from you before I could provide any advice and/or direction.

1. What else are you trying to do on your desktop besides the normal hotsync? I can't believe this would be a concern and that is why I am asking.

2. What is your corporate e-mail system? Does your IT department give you POP3 and/or IMAP4 remote access?

3. OWA is Outlook Web Access and is a plug-in for Exchange. If you are using Exchange, does you company use this?

If you company does not allow remote e-mail access of any kind, your problem is more fundamental than an operational issue, IMO it is more of an organizational and short-sighted policy problem that is a bit more difficult to overcome.
    I don't think the issue is with Hotsync- we have a signficant number of users who have palm devices, and palm syncronization with network computers is supported. I believe the issue is the email access. We do, however, have, and make available, Outlook Web Access. From the info. posted on this page, it would appear that the problem has something to do with the email program that is being used to access emails from our system.
    Are you talking about Sprint Business Connect or, some other desktop connection? If it is not this, I have no idea what their issue is given the information you posted.

Since your company already uses OWA, it is simple to add the utility I posted a few posts up. Look at the web site and show it to your IT people. It takes less than 5 minutes to install and costs about $100. The nice thing is it will work with any PDA device with a browser. Then, your IT people are happy and frankly, it makes your life easier as well (i.e. full Exchange functionality).
    Why don't you do what I do to get my corporate email from a company that is "way anal" about security? I use my 300 to dial into the corporate network then get my email through Eudora. The only problem is that email is not "always on", so I have to dial in whenever I want to check it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12