1.    #1  
    I have been using my SMS to send messages, which is great, but I notice when people send me messages, I rarely get messages, they get cut down so much. I mean I don't think I can get more than 20 characters. i was told that the limit is 1000. Has anyone a solution?
    Stanley Lumax
    sent messages should be 160 characters but I have also noticed that my received messages are getting clipped below that number. The Sprint shortmail system can handle up to 1000 characters but pdaapps limits you to 160
    perhaps they are they using a treo or another type of phone with its own software that truciates the message.
    Originally posted by Brooose
    sent messages should be 160 characters but I have also noticed that my received messages are getting clipped below that number. The Sprint shortmail system can handle up to 1000 characters
    Really? Can you provide a reference for that?

but pdaapps limits you to 160
    No, the 160-character limitation is not Treo300SMS' fault. Look at http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/ -- see how the "characters remaining" counter starts at 160? Same thing if you send yourself an email at your SMS email address -- it'll get cut off at 160 characters.

Or... at least it used to get cut off at 160 characters. I just did some testing, and I see that it's now cutting off the "body" of SMS messages at 91 characters.

This is apparently an artifact of the change Sprint made on January 23 where they changed SMSes coming from the email gateway to have From: and Subject: info. Those headers are limited to 32 characters each, and each is followed by a ": ". 32 + 2 + 32 + 2 + 91 = 159. Not sure where the 160th character went -- it may be a newline or NUL terminator at the end of the message.

What really sucks is that even if you don't use all 32 characters of the From: and Subject: headers (or don't have a Subject: at all), you still get those 68 characters deducted from your maximum body length -- it's limited to 91 characters regardless. Their software is apparently completely stupid and does no dynamic allocation. Man, what'd they write it in, COBOL...?
    From the messaging site for short mail:

A PCS Short Mail message: More...
    Exchange messages back & forth.
    Send to any Internet-ready PCS Phone.
    Compatible with other wireless carriers.
    1000-character limit.
    From the messaging site for short mail:

A PCS Short Mail message: More...
    Exchange messages back & forth.
    Send to any Internet-ready PCS Phone.
    Compatible with other wireless carriers.
    1000-character limit.
    Um, a web link would be nice, rather than just a quote. Otherwise we can't see what the context is. For instance, is it possible this is only valid for the old PCS, not PCS Vision? Or is it possible this is from a page that's just out-of-date?
    Just sign on to your account, click on the messaging website and check the short mail section.... you have to do it through your account. Posting a link which is specific to my account will just bounce you to the sign in page. My account has Vision so perhaps the 1000 character limit is specific to that, I don't know....so do this....(since you love links sooooo much)

Go here

https://manage1.sprintpcs.com/Manage...ls&action=home

Sign on.....

Go to messaging and you will see the short mail screen which is where I did the cut and paste...

Is that good enough?
    (since you love links sooooo much)
    There's no need to be childish. I asked if you had a reference for your figure -- by definition, that means including the exact source.

Anyway, thanks for providing the source this time. Looking at the page, I see that context was indeed vital in this case. The page reached by the "Send a text message" link on "My Sprint PCS" makes a distinction that I was not aware of before, and which had not been mentioned in this thread.

The page enables you to select between:

A PCS Short Mail message:
    • Exchange messages back & forth.
    • Send to any Internet-ready PCS Phone.
    • Compatible with other wireless carriers.
    • 1000-character limit.
    and:

A One-Way message:
    • Send only. The recipient cannot reply.
    • Send to any PCS Phone.
    • 160-character limit.
    A popup window available from that page goes into more detail:

Short Mail or One-Way Messaging?

Short Mail:
    Allows you to exchange messages back-and-forth with anyone using a PCS Internet-ready phone from Sprint or this web site. Messages can also be exchanged with AT&T Wireless, Cingular, Verizon and Voice Stream messaging customers. To send messages from your PCS Phone, launch the PCS Wireless Web(SM), go to the "Messaging" folder and select PCS Short Mail. Recipients will receive notification of new messages and can read them by going to the PCS Short Mail inbox on the PCS Wireless Web(SM).

One-Way Messaging:
    Allows you to send messages from this web site to any PCS Phone. It is not necessary for the PCS Phone to be Internet-ready: however, the recipient must have a data or messaging plan. Messages may not exceed 160 characters and cannot be sent to customers of other wireless carriers. Unlike with PCS Short Mail, the recipient cannot send a reply message. Your message will pop-up on the recipients phone; they will not have to launch the PCS Wireless Web(SM).
    People have been referring to "Short Mail" as if that's the true name of Sprint's equivalent of (GSM's) SMS, but that appears to be incorrect. It's what Sprint calls "One-Way Messaging" that's equivalent to SMS.

Short Mail is apparently viewed on PCS phones via the "PCS Wireless Web". The Treo 300 (and PCS Vision phones in general, unless I'm mistaken) does not have access to Sprint's Wireless Web. So the answer to my prior speculation:

For instance, is it possible this is only valid for the old PCS, not PCS Vision?
    is yes. The 1000-character limit is specific to old PCS phones.

I just sent myself a Short Mail via the interface on that page, and sure enough, nothing came to my Treo (despite successfully getting "One-Way Messages" just before and after). Indeed, how would it come? Short Mails can contain special smileys and other icons, and there's no software on the Treo to handle those.

Now, I would think that I would at least be able to see my Short Mail via the "PCS Short Mail Inbox" on Sprint's website (via a desktop browser, since apparently the browsers available for the Treo aren't capable of successfully browsing the site with all its JavaScript and so forth), but the message I sent isn't even there. I suspect that's just due to a temporary outage, however.
    Sorry....I did not mean to be childish. I was just gagga because the "Terror Alert" level was raised to orange and I have nothing to wear in that color. Thanks for clarifying the character limit situation.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I just sent myself a Short Mail via the interface on that page, and sure enough, nothing came to my Treo (despite successfully getting "One-Way Messages" just before and after). Indeed, how would it come? Short Mails can contain special smileys and other icons, and there's no software on the Treo to handle those.

Now, I would think that I would at least be able to see my Short Mail via the "PCS Short Mail Inbox" on Sprint's website (via a desktop browser, since apparently the browsers available for the Treo aren't capable of successfully browsing the site with all its JavaScript and so forth), but the message I sent isn't even there. I suspect that's just due to a temporary outage, however.
    Well, it looks like Sprint hasn't left out Treo (and other PCS Vision) users after all.

A few minutes ago, I finally got a notification of the Short Mail I sent myself a couple of hours ago. Like I say, it's a notification, sent by SMS, not the actual mail itself. It reads as follows:

Date: 2/7/03 1:33 pm

shortmail@oneboxmail.bulk.sprint:
    Short Mail: New Short Mail. Select
    "Go" to read it.
    http://smwl.uc.sprintpcs.com/sml/w
    wap.do?alert=true
    Unfortunately I've been repeatedly trying to browse to that link (with multiple browsers, including IE on my PC) to the read the mail, but smwl.uc.sprintpcs.com is not responding.

I'll follow up here once I've successfully gotten onto the site, but I suspect once their crappy machine actually responds, I'll be presented with a page that works in Blazer and allows me to read and respond to the Short Mail.

I don't expect I'll be using Short Mail again after this test, though. The 1000-character limit isn't a meaningful advantage over SMSes' 91-character limit, since the mail isn't actually delivered to your Treo. Short Mail doesn't really have anything going for it that email (either web mail accessed from a web browser on your Treo, or real mail accessed with a mail client on your Treo) doesn't give you, and as a downside, you have to deal with Sprint's crappy infrastructure, as demonstrated here.
    You can't get to that link via the Blazer browser. I don't fully understand it either but that link is for the WAP handsets that can access Sprint's WAP world. The Treo is outside of that world. Sorta like the Samsung I-300, it had 2 browsers, OpenWave's WAP and Blazer. Shortmail only worked with the OpenWave browser. Even if you load a WAP only browser on the Treo it still won't work, the WAP browser won't authenticate properly, same reason a Verizon phone can't use that link, it's not on Sprint's network. If you want to check that shortmail you'll need TreoSMS from pdaapps. Their app uses the shortmail system of Sprint but as mentioned, they are limited to 160 char too. Notice when you use their app you have to give them your account password, it seems they log in and send/receive the messages for you then shoot 160 char as a text message. I hope pdaapps is working on taking a shortmail longer than 160 char and breaking it up into multiple messages, that would be great.

Did I make sense or just muck things up?
    Originally posted by howensby
    You can't get to that link via the Blazer browser. I don't fully understand it either but that link is for the WAP handsets that can access Sprint's WAP world. The Treo is outside of that world. Sorta like the Samsung I-300, it had 2 browsers, OpenWave's WAP and Blazer. Shortmail only worked with the OpenWave browser. Even if you load a WAP only browser on the Treo it still won't work, the WAP browser won't authenticate properly, same reason a Verizon phone can't use that link, it's not on Sprint's network.
    Okay. Guess I shouldn't've been so quick to recant my statement that Short Mail is accessible on non-Vision PCS phones only (unless there's a web browser for the Treo that can successfully log on to the account management pages of the main Sprint PCS site and get it that way -- ZFrame may be able to do it).

If you want to check that shortmail you'll need TreoSMS from pdaapps. Their app uses the shortmail system of Sprint but as mentioned, they are limited to 160 char too. Notice when you use their app you have to give them your account password, it seems they log in and send/receive the messages for you then shoot 160 char as a text message. I hope pdaapps is working on taking a shortmail longer than 160 char and breaking it up into multiple messages, that would be great.
    Yeah, I had a demo of that installed for awhile and I didn't understand why they needed to operate via logging into My Sprint PCS, since they could just send SMSes by submitting directly to the form pointed to by http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/guestCompose.do. Now that I understand that Short Mail is something separate from SMSes, I comprehend.

Did I make sense or just muck things up?
    No, thanks a lot for providing the missing piece to the puzzle.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Okay. Guess I shouldn't've been so quick to recant my statement that Short Mail is accessible on non-Vision PCS phones only (unless there's a web browser for the Treo that can successfully log on to the account management pages of the main Sprint PCS site and get it that way -- ZFrame may be able to do it).
    Actually, it's not necessary to use the cumbersome ZFrame -- I just tried Xiino on https://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/s/inboxShortMail.do and I was successful at reading my Short Mail.

It's quite slow-going, as it bounces you over to the main My Sprint PCS page and you have to log in, all the while waiting as these big desktop-browser-sized pages load (from Sprint's relatively sluggish site), and you have to OK popups about it not liking messaging.sprintpcs.com's SSL certificate, but it does work. I thought I had read that Xiino couldn't access the My Sprint PCS site. Guess it was just Blazer (and perhaps also EudoraWeb).

It doesn't work completely, though. The "Refresh", "Delete Checked" and "Save to ShortList" buttons on the main inbox page and likewise the "Done", "Delete", "Reply", and "Forward" buttons on the individual message page don't appear. So you can read your Short Mail, but that appears to be it.

Also perhaps worthy of note is that those neat little smileys and other icons don't appear as icons on the messaging.sprintpcs.com interface to reading your Short Mail (whether on Xiino or a desktop browser) -- they appear as text-only approximations. So I guess those appear as intended only on the Sprint Wireless Web WAP interface.