1.    #1  
    What is the status of Chatter? Heard it was going to be released by now...
    NCTreo300
    Hi, there...

Chatter is near the end of Alpha testing (I've got 12 testers now who use the app extensively). I think it has become very stable and reliable and will be ready for a wider Beta program within a week or so.

Thanks for hanging in there. I just want to make sure that things so as smoothly as possible when I release it on a broader scale.

- Marc
    Marc,

Are you planning an open or "invite only" beta. I would be interested in testing out the ICQ compatibiltiy on a Treo300.

--- bry
    Honestly, I haven't decided. But I will soon...

- Marc
    I can vouch--- I am one of the lucky alpha testers, and its 99% ready for prime time to me. ...and I am one of the "problem testers" where it crashed my treo all the time in its inital forms... Now in the past 4 days since the updater came out I have had most of my problems solved! You'll definately call this a "killer app"!
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Originally posted by starrwulfe
    I can vouch--- I am one of the lucky alpha testers, and its 99% ready for prime time to me. ...and I am one of the "problem testers" where it crashed my treo all the time in its inital forms... Now in the past 4 days since the updater came out I have had most of my problems solved! You'll definately call this a "killer app"!
    How's the battery life with all that data flying around even when you are not in Chatter? Missed Calls?
    Let me try to address the battery and data issue.

The fact is that data connection time is as battery consuming as "talk" time, and that the data connection will become active whenever there is new presence information available for your Chatter contacts (unless you're invisible).

So, assuming you ARE visible (i.e. keeping up-to-date on the status of your contacts), the data load will be somewhat proportional to how many contacts you have and how many services you've got them on. Of course, actual IM's flying back and forth will take connection time as well. Chatter does NOT poll (for either email or IM); rather it is pushed to the Treo, so there's very little "overhead" data flow.

I now have 18 contacts (max. 24 in the alpha version), with (between them) 42 "presence units" (I don't know what to call them!). That's an average of about 2 1/2 IM services per contact.

My experience is that the battery will last me a good 24 hours, which in my case is fine. Calls are occasionally missed, though not excessively so, and Chatter will (by beta) indicate voice mail as soon as it is received.

I'm planning on doing some experiments determining what percentage of the time my phone is actually using the data connection, but I'd estimate about 5-10% of the time (Chatter runs on my Treo 7x24, foreground and background).

BTW, I'm not the least bit defensive about this. The Treo is a real tradeoff machine! I tend to use my Treo more for data than for voice, so keeping "visible" is MY choice.

- Marc
    not only that but when you aren't in the chatter app itself, it really only uses the data connection then to push only incoming messages to you. I too have chatter on constantly in the background and don't notice any type of change in battery life in the latest verisons. I did see a shortened battery life at first, but in the last 2 weeks with the 0.35 versions, I've seen a huge improvement. the latest version wich I got about an hour ago has to be as good a product as any other IM client out there! definatly woth the wait!
  9.    #9  
    Ok, I figured a beta release would be available by now....???

Really wanting to get my hands on this and test it.

NCTreo300
    Hi.

I've been working quite hard making sure the app is as bulletproof as possible and adding some nice features. I'm also working on getting a dedicated (hosted) server for Chatter users so that I can be reasonably assured of high reliability and minimal downtime (i.e. a place with 7x24 service).

Sorry it's taken so long. I'm thinking maybe next week for a beta on the 300 and an alpha on the 270.

- m
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the reply MBlank! I was close to purchasing Verichat but thought I'd wait until I saw what you have going.

Willing to pay/make donation...

NCTreo300
    NCTreo300 ... At least until you have had the chance to try Chatter. I am an alpha-tester and it will be worth the wait.

(Bump)

Is it here yet? I would like to be a beta participant.
    Hi MBlank,

I would like to be on your announcement list for Chatter when it becomes available. You can contact me at jerw99@yahoo.com.

If you are looking for beta testers, I would like to participate. I've had some experience beta testing software before, such as CASL for PalmOS and several Windows apps.

Jerry
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I think Chatter should now be filed under Vaporware.
    Umm, no. It does exist. At least on my Treo.
    what is it?