1.    #1  
    I would like people who have had good luck keeping their Treo 180's (or 270's) in working order to post any hints for the rest of us. I am particularly concerned about the speaker problem. I'm on Treo 180 #2 and desperately want to make it last as I see no compelling new phone/PDA devices to justify any upgrade.
    Any advice on the art of using treos while prolonging the speaker life would be appreciated. Is it just luck? Is the 180 a hopelessly fragile dud?
    my first one worked well for what compared to other stories i've heard, is a long time. i think they're just like little timebombs that don't really cause any damage. if by "no damage" you mean loss of time on the phone with confused, full of b.s. tech/customer service reps. if you mean not having a fully functional device for 1 full month while you wait for a frickin' rma number AND get to pay for a service you don't use. if you mean wounded pride because you showed your cool little machine off to "regular" phone people, and now have to eat crow as their stuff works, and yours doesn't...yeah, that's the "no damage" that this thing has caused me.

i didn't drop my phone or mishandle it in any way. i'd had better luck with it (not dropping it at all) than any other phone or pda that i've owned. i think for all it's beauty and utility the treo is just a poor, flawed piece of machinery that was released even though the design was not (nearly) perfect(ed).

if you can live with using the headphone (more useful, less comfortable) then the speaker problem is really nothing. i just believe that a company should supply me with a fully-functional product, and that they should keep replacing it until they get it right. my main problem is what to do in the meantime.

i want to like it so much, but all of the above things really make it hard.
    Originally posted by expostdelirium
    if you mean wounded pride because you showed your cool little machine off to "regular" phone people, and now have to eat crow as their stuff works, and yours doesn't...yeah, that's the "no damage" that this thing has caused me.
    LOL

Thanks for the laugh.
    ...you're more than welcome for the laugh, and probably need one if you have a treo.

this is funny:

got a message today at work to call airborne express. i called them and they told me that they'd tried to deliver thurs, fri, and mon, and they wanted to know where to deliver so that they could get a signature. i told my secretary to sign for it. cool.

the funny thing is that i've called handspring everyday for the last week and they don't know that it's gone out! how poor is that?
    if it shipped last tuesday/wed, they should've been able to tell me during one of the 5 times i talked to them. i'm thinking seriously that i'm gonna shell out the bucks...but for what? HELP!

p.s. - airborne still didn't bring it to my job today.
    Easiest way to prolong the life of your Treo is to never open the lid. (Yes, that means you won't actually be able to USE the device you paid for). But at least the speaker won't die.
    I have had my Treo 180 for 10 months. No problems so far.

Use it everyday. I use the headphone majority of the time. I try to make phone calls without opening the lid which I prefer while driving. Also I bought a generic leather case at Target which looks great and seems to protect the Treo very well. I can't remember the maker of the case with belt clip.

I really want to upgrade to the 270 but I continue to use my 180 until it dies.

Ken
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    The best advice I can give (8 months +) is this - the TREO is not a StarTrek communicator In otherwords, never snap the lid open or closed, keep it in a case to prevent scratches and knocks and use a screen protector on the outside clear window (a cut down Palm III protector works fine). Over all, treat it as the piece of delicate and expensive electronic equipment it is.

Cheers,

Paul
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I've found that the best way to make the treo last, is not to use it.

Honestly, this is the most fragile phone I've ever had. Just received my 5th replacement (replacement #4 was also defective) and who know's how many more I'll go through before just chucking the whole thing.

2 things are for sure:
    Palm integration, when it works, is wonderful

If I hadn't spent $500 on the thing, it would be replaced already.