Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 672
  1.    #121  
    Originally posted by wolfbeast
    Hey simon,

    Is there anyway you can add the functionality of dialing letters to Takephone...

    for example, when you are in the phone dialer... if you type 1800abcdefg the phone would dial 18002223334?

    thanx
    neil
    After thinking about it - here's the problem - some of the letters are interpreted by the dialer for some functions: 'p', 't', ...

    so - if a user enters 1-800-THE-BEST - how would I know if those are letters or pauses ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  2. #122  
    It's time for me to upgrade! I have 5.04xe. Thanks (again) for your help.
  3. #123  
    what other letters besides 'p' and 't' are special? Are they interpreted by TakePhone or by a lower level dialer?

    What you could do (which is what other cell phones do) is to have a special menu to insert pauses and other things. That way.. u always assume a letter corresponds to the number and convert it before actually dialing the number.

    If someone wanted to dial a pause or something else... then either u can have a menu for it... or have a key combination for it (ie option + p).

    Neil
  4.    #124  
    Originally posted by wolfbeast
    what other letters besides 'p' and 't' are special? Are they interpreted by TakePhone or by a lower level dialer?

    What you could do (which is what other cell phones do) is to have a special menu to insert pauses and other things. That way.. u always assume a letter corresponds to the number and convert it before actually dialing the number.

    If someone wanted to dial a pause or something else... then either u can have a menu for it... or have a key combination for it (ie option + p).

    Neil
    Those letters are interpreted by the device built-in dialer s/w.

    Problem here is I have to deal with numbers entered not only from within MY s/w, but numbers entered on the Desktop, or in other Palm apps.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  5. #125  
    the only advantage of the converting letters to number is when u're actually typing the number in. If the phone number is coming from another app or from the phone book or desktop... then u can most likely assume it's as the user wants it dialed.

    If you think this way.. then u would only need to translate when someone is dialing from within Takephone...

    i dont know if this will mess up other users who use pause and other things a lot... but from my experience its a nice feature.

    Neil
  6.    #126  
    Originally posted by wolfbeast
    the only advantage of the converting letters to number is when u're actually typing the number in. If the phone number is coming from another app or from the phone book or desktop... then u can most likely assume it's as the user wants it dialed.

    If you think this way.. then u would only need to translate when someone is dialing from within Takephone...

    i dont know if this will mess up other users who use pause and other things a lot... but from my experience its a nice feature.

    Neil
    So what you mean is:
    - I start in OPTION LOCK. user presses the number buttons and they are entered as is, if he/she presses the 'p' or 't' it is entered as is.
    - If a user toggles to NON-OPTION-LOCK and presses the buttons, the letters are translated to numbers.

    Would that be clear enough ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  7. #127  
    yea.. thats exactly what I was thinking.

    Neil
  8. #128  
    Originally posted by TAKEphONE


    So what you mean is:
    - I start in OPTION LOCK. user presses the number buttons and they are entered as is, if he/she presses the 'p' or 't' it is entered as is.
    - If a user toggles to NON-OPTION-LOCK and presses the buttons, the letters are translated to numbers.

    Would that be clear enough ?
    The problem is that if you do it that way, you would have to take off option lock to you the * and # keys. I find myself using them much more often than I would want to letter dial. Could you put an option in the preferences to enable or disable this function if you implement it?

    Plus it could get confusing because for every other app, option lock off uses letters and option lock on uses numbers or other characters. You're proposing the opposite. Also, if you do this, now you have to account for letters, numbers/characters, and letter dialing. Adding this function could cripple the functionality in another capacity.
  9.    #129  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81


    The problem is that if you do it that way, you would have to take off option lock to you the * and # keys. I find myself using them much more often than I would want to letter dial. Could you put an option in the preferences to enable or disable this function if you implement it?

    Plus it could get confusing because for every other app, option lock off uses letters and option lock on uses numbers or other characters. You're proposing the opposite. Also, if you do this, now you have to account for letters, numbers/characters, and letter dialing. Adding this function could cripple the functionality in another capacity.
    Well - I have to agree...

    Any better ideas than mine ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  10. #130  
    Originally posted by TAKEphONE


    Well - I have to agree...

    Any better ideas than mine ?
    OK, here's my suggestion. In the dialer screen, have an on-screen button that you can click on to select/deselect letter dialing. Or if not an on-screen button, have the option in the menu so you could just hit :menu: L then type your letters. When it's selected, the letters A, B, C will be converted to 2, D, E, F converted to 3, etc. Make it completely independent of the option key. That way, you could type 1800, hit the letter dialer button or :menu: L, then type "thebest" and it would be entered as 8432378.
  11.    #131  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81


    OK, here's my suggestion. In the dialer screen, have an on-screen button that you can click on to select/deselect letter dialing. Or if not an on-screen button, have the option in the menu so you could just hit :menu: L then type your letters. When it's selected, the letters A, B, C will be converted to 2, D, E, F converted to 3, etc. Make it completely independent of the option key. That way, you could type 1800, hit the letter dialer button or :menu: L, then type "thebest" and it would be entered as 8432378.
    Great idea !

    So - here is what we'll do - I wilh have a menu option :menu: L so when you enter it it will pop up a dialog (like :menu: K pops up the virtual keyboard) for entering a "translated" number.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  12. #132  
    I think there is a little confusion:

    letsgoflyers81:
    "Plus it could get confusing because for every other app, option lock off uses letters and option lock on uses numbers or other characters. You're proposing the opposite."

    The default is that option lock is ON. This means the number keys and * and # work. The solution that Simon posted would be that IF option lock is taken OFF, then it assumes the user wants to enter letters and have them converted. This is the same as in every other app. ON = numbers, OFF=letters

    Currently, this is what I see done when u toggle option lock in the dialer. When it is on... you enter numbers or * or #and it goes in the #: line. As soon as you toggle it off, even if you are in the # line, it skips to the N: line and enters letters. If you add this feature, you would have to disable that automatic line skipping.

    I assume this line skipping is so that you can enter a number and associate a name with it.

    I dont think it is necessary to use an additional / L command to implement this feature. It would be redundant. For example, if I was dialing 1800abcdefg, I would start with option lock ON and input 1800, then I would have to toggle option lock OFF and toggle the additional / L command and then type abcdefg which would be converted to 2223334. Why have to toggle 2 things when u can have the same functionality and not lose anything with 1. The only thing you lose is the line skipping thing i described earlier.

    Let me know if this makes sense,

    Neil
  13.    #133  
    Originally posted by wolfbeast
    I think there is a little confusion:

    letsgoflyers81:
    "Plus it could get confusing because for every other app, option lock off uses letters and option lock on uses numbers or other characters. You're proposing the opposite."

    The default is that option lock is ON. This means the number keys and * and # work. The solution that Simon posted would be that IF option lock is taken OFF, then it assumes the user wants to enter letters and have them converted. This is the same as in every other app. ON = numbers, OFF=letters

    Currently, this is what I see done when u toggle option lock in the dialer. When it is on... you enter numbers or * or #and it goes in the #: line. As soon as you toggle it off, even if you are in the # line, it skips to the N: line and enters letters. If you add this feature, you would have to disable that automatic line skipping.

    I assume this line skipping is so that you can enter a number and associate a name with it.

    I dont think it is necessary to use an additional / L command to implement this feature. It would be redundant. For example, if I was dialing 1800abcdefg, I would start with option lock ON and input 1800, then I would have to toggle option lock OFF and toggle the additional / L command and then type abcdefg which would be converted to 2223334. Why have to toggle 2 things when u can have the same functionality and not lose anything with 1. The only thing you lose is the line skipping thing i described earlier.

    Let me know if this makes sense,

    Neil
    I do not mean to require you to toggle the OPTION state at all - after you entered the 1800 there will be no need to change the OPTION state - just press :menu: L and you get to the new dialog. This dialog will IGNORE the OPTION state and translate the letters into the appropriate digits.

    So - you start entering a number - the OPTION is LOCKED automatically, you enter 1800, then :menu: L, then (no touching the OPTION button) abcdefg (which in the poped up dialog is translated to 1112223) and OK (Return)
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  14. #134  
    Originally posted by TAKEphONE


    I do not mean to require you to toggle the OPTION state at all - after you entered the 1800 there will be no need to change the OPTION state - just press :menu: L and you get to the new dialog. This dialog will IGNORE the OPTION state and translate the letters into the appropriate digits.

    So - you start entering a number - the OPTION is LOCKED automatically, you enter 1800, then :menu: L, then (no touching the OPTION button) abcdefg (which in the poped up dialog is translated to 1112223) and OK (Return)
    Well, do you want to do it that way, or make it so you don't need a keyboard dialogue? This is just my opinion, but I prefer using the physical keyboard to a virtual one so I don't need the stylus. I was thinking when you hit :menu: L, it will work like the option key in the respect that it will change the value of the keys on the physical keyboard so A, B, and C will be converted to 2, etc. just like when you hit option, Y becomes 1, U becomes 2, etc.
  15.    #135  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81


    Well, do you want to do it that way, or make it so you don't need a keyboard dialogue? This is just my opinion, but I prefer using the physical keyboard to a virtual one so I don't need the stylus. I was thinking when you hit :menu: L, it will work like the option key in the respect that it will change the value of the keys on the physical keyboard so A, B, and C will be converted to 2, etc. just like when you hit option, Y becomes 1, U becomes 2, etc.
    I did NOT mean a virtual keyboard in the sense of having to tap the screen - I meant for you to use the keypad, but enter the number into a poped up dialog (to prevent the need for excesive GUI changes in the Dial/Create screen)
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  16. #136  
    Originally posted by TAKEphONE


    I did NOT mean a virtual keyboard in the sense of having to tap the screen - I meant for you to use the keypad, but enter the number into a poped up dialog (to prevent the need for excesive GUI changes in the Dial/Create screen)
    OK, I misunderstood. Whatever would be easiest while still making simple for the end user.
  17.    #137  
    Hi,

    Just posted the new build at my beta page

    It has this :menu: L fix.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  18. #138  
    Originally posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi,

    Just posted the new build at my beta page

    It has this :menu: L fix.
    Works like a charm, thanks Shimon.
  19. #139  
    Shimon,

    I just thought of something that has bugged me for quite a while and I was wondering if you could come up with a solution. I don't know if this bugs anyone else, but when I'm on a call and I get a text message, often times to get back to the phone screen I have to click on the TakePhone hard key and then thumb through all the pages to get back to the PhoneBook app so I can select the current call screen. I know there's a preference to allow the PhoneBook app to be selected, but it must always be the last screen on the rotation. This means I have to hit the phone button 5 times to get the PhoneBook app, and then hit the small icon on screen to get to the current call. Otherwise I can't change volume, mute, end the call, activate the speakerphone, etc.

    Would it be possible to add a tab to SpeakerPhone for the current call screen? If not, could you just include a tab for the PhoneBook tab in TakePhone and not have the app force the PhoneBook to the last spot in the rotation?
  20. #140  
    Letter Dialer works great... awesome job Shimon.

    Neil
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions