Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
  1.    #281  
    Originally posted by MVT
    Didn't read through all the posts in the thread but is it a known bug if you have the Phone button activated that using the gray key (to get the numbers) plus the phone key crashes the program?
    Hi,

Dont understand -
    - What version of TAKEphONE are you using ?
    - What device ?
    - How do you create the crash ?
    - What is "you have the phone button activated" ?
    - What is the gray button - Options ? (left of 'Z')

- If you mean "Options + Phone" - what app do you have assigned to this ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Sorry I was so vague....

What version of TAKEphONE are you using ?

5.05m

What device ?

Treo 600

How do you create the crash ?

Trying to use "Options" plus Phone to activate Blazer

What is "you have the phone button activated" ?

I checked the box that said activate TakePhone when the "Phone" button was pressed

What is the gray button - Options ? (left of 'Z')

Yes, didn't know what it was really called.
  3.    #283  
    Originally posted by MVT
    Didn't read through all the posts in the thread but is it a known bug if you have the Phone button activated that using the gray key (to get the numbers) plus the phone key crashes the program?
    No reports of this so far...

Anyone else encountered this ?

Can you try something for me ? -
    Assign another app to the "Options+Phone" button, and see if it crashes...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Okay....

It didn't crash with another application and when I toggled it back to Options + Phone for Web, it didn't crash anymore.

So maybe that wasn't why it crashed...

Getting better all the time.
  6.    #286  
    Originally posted by MVT
    Okay....

It didn't crash with another application and when I toggled it back to Options + Phone for Web, it didn't crash anymore.

So maybe that wasn't why it crashed...

Was it reproducible when it happened ?
    Did it depend on what screen of TAKEphONE you were on ?

Also - let's monitor this for some time to see if it happens again.

AND - if ANYONE encountered this, too - please let us know
    Shimon Shnitzer
    I've got "Option" plus Phone to activate Blazer, too, and "Option" hold plus Phone to activate SnapCalc5, so those buttons are "loaded." Do not have the phone button mapped to TP. No resets from any TP dialog when activating Blazer.
  8.    #288  
    Originally posted by elysian9
    I've got "Option" plus Phone to activate Blazer, too, and "Option" hold plus Phone to activate SnapCalc5, so those buttons are "loaded." Do not have the phone button mapped to TP. No resets from any TP dialog when activating Blazer.
    Can you test it with the PHONE button mapped to TP ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Originally posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi,

2. What exactly do you mean by "And after a few seconds at the drop down, the program decides on it's own it's time to go to the name window" ?

Thanks !
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner--got sidetracked on some other things. Anyway, let's say I have the DEF key highlighted on the search screen (the one labeled "TAKEphONE"). I hit 'up' on the Dpad which moves the highlight to the dropdown for categories. After about 1 second, the highlight disappears from categories and the up/down buttons on the Dpad scroll through the list of names. The test entry field (with the blinking triangle) has also become the active entry point again.

As I play with it more, I realize that it doesn't matter where I position the highlight. It alwasy jumps back to the text-entry field in about 1 second.

On the Hstory screen, the cursor always jumps back to the name/number list. I.e, if I tab to the Find button but don't press it right away, that button loses the highlight and the list window becomes active again.

On Dial Create, if I move the highlight to one of the buttons on the left side of the screen, it will jump back to the # line at the top of the screen. And on the Redial screen, it jumps back to the call list. And on the Speed screen, the highlight always jumps back to the speed dial button part of the screen.

Thanks for following up,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Meyerweb:

Yes, this behavior is by design, I'm nearly certain.

Ideally, it would be best as a user setting option in Prefs that would allow the time-out length to be set on a per-user basis, and/or to shut it off if so desired. Personally I don’t mind the time out, because the main part of the dialogs are those name fields. Those icon buttons are like a menu list.

Is there any chance of allowing more flexibility in dialing from an outside application?

Yes, dialing from another app is possible but it requires the TakePhone hack extension, which requires a hack manager. But it does work.

Hmm, I've been trying to avoid hacks under OS/5, but if TP (bad abbreviation, sorry <g>) convinces me to use it, I guess I may have to rethink that. What I'd really like to do is to assign TP to the Opt-Phone button, and then have Opt-Phone support dialing from another app the way the phone button does now.

Also, do you have any plans to augment D-Pad support? Right now, it is awkward in many ways. As an example, to navigate to the quick list, I have to be in one of the two righthand number columns on the keypad, and then scroll up. Why can't I get to the top by scrolling up on any column?

I see your point if the keyboard is not hidden. I keep the keyboard hidden, and so reaching the category drop-down is rather easy. In fact, there are two ways to view it. Since I rarely manually dial the phone, I do not need to see the keyboard. But that would be a good thing to add, i.e., better rocker support in this view with keyboard not hidden.

I didn't discover the hidden keyboard option until later. I, too, rarely use the keypad so this does work better now. Thanks for the suggestion.

And after a few seconds at the drop down, the program decides on it's own it's time to go to the name window. Why? Maybe I want a different category, but got sidetracked and didn't choose it immediately. I'd rather decide for myself when to move the cursor, thank you. This might not be so bad if I could simply hit the up key and get back to the category list, but I can't. It seems I have to move left, then right twice, and then up to return to where I wanted to be all along.

Go to Prefs<Find and check “Up” button=change categories.

Okay, I'm getting old. It took me a long time to find this option This is an interesting approach. It works if the list isn't too long, but scrolling up from the bottom of a long list of names takes too long. I figured out I can Left or Right Dpad and then Up to get to the categories list. I can live with this, but I think I'd still prefer a more direct way to get to the category dropdown. As of now, Right and Left do the same thing. Maybe Right, or Opt-Up, could jump directly to the category dropdown?

Ideally, yes, it would be best as a user setting option in Prefs that would allow the time-out length to be set on a per-user basis, and/or to shut it off if so desired. Personally I don’t mind the time out.

Yes. I'm not sure I like the software deciding for me where and when to move the cursor. I would like to see this as at least an on/off option.

I don't mean to be critical, as this app does many things well. But I hope the use of the D-pad can be improved.

You have no idea how far this app has come over the past week or so. Rocker support is so far advanced in the current beta (99m) as to make the ones from a week ago seem almost primitive. You owe it to yourself to read my posts in particular from this thread, since I’ve been pushing the 5-Way rocker thing very diligently and precisely. I’m very happy with Shimon’s work. He’s done a fantastic job at building these betas with incredible celerity and sensitivity. He deserves nothing but praise for his efforts and his commitment to his clients. Remember, we are beta testing here, and thus receive the benefits of a developer who really and truly is listening and responding. If your suggestion(s) work for him and make good software sense, they will magically appear in the next beta.

As I said, I intended no criticism. Just pointing out what I see as some problems or issues in hopes they can be corrected.

Try this and see how you respond to TAKEphONE afterwards: Try hiding the keyboard (in Display & Formats), Unchecking both “Phone” button runs TAKEphONE, and “Phone” loops through (in using the “Phone” button), checking If single match – Open “Details,” and “Down” button=Open “Zoom”, and “Up” button=change categories (in Find).

Yes, hiding the keypad makes a big difference. I did uncheck "Phone runs TAKEphONE", but once in takephone like being able to use the phone button to toggle through the options. But I guess using the Dpad for that is okay. The "Up button changes categories" makes a big difference--don't see much advantage in "Down opens zoom" and some disadvatages.

Now tap on the list icon (upper right corner of screen) for every dialog/view. (This will give you an alternative appearance to the native phone app and improves some of the 5-Way functioning).

Do you mean switching to the list view, as opposed to the button view, improves 5-way support, or am I misunderstanding?

In any case, thanks very much for the detailed response. A couple of the things you suggested do make a big difference. I'll download the latest beta and try it out, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  12.    #292  
    Hi,

Correct - what I call "5-way mode" has a timeout.

I consider this mode something like a SHIFT mode, where the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT buttons loose their "everyday" function (scrolling lists, etc.), and allow for for navigation.
    Shimon Shnitzer

Can you test it with the PHONE button mapped to TP ?
    I tested it with PHONE button mapped to TP. No resets.

Any chance this is possible in your development schedule: Ideally, the time-out would be best as a user setting option in Prefs that would allow the time-out length to be set on a per-user basis, and/or to shut it off if so desired.

Was it reproducible when it happened ?
    Did it depend on what screen of TAKEphONE you were on ?

Also - let's monitor this for some time to see if it happens again.

AND - if ANYONE encountered this, too - please let us know
    My problems mostly seem to be caused by Text Plus...it causes crashes with a lot of applications so I disabled it with almost everything. A lot of times I find I'm quicker typing than trying to find their word anyway.
    Originally posted by MVT

My problems mostly seem to be caused by Text Plus...it causes crashes with a lot of applications so I disabled it with almost everything. A lot of times I find I'm quicker typing than trying to find their word anyway.
    This is a known bug. You only need to disable it in Blazer. Smart cell is aware of the bug, too.
    Sugestions:

Have an option to supress blank fields in the person detaills screen

eg Pager is blank for most people in my list .....but it shows up and I have to use extrea down arrows to go down to the address when it owuld have fitted on the first page of details

2. can we choose a font for the details screen and therefore fit more information in one screen

3. In the details screen the navigation is a little odd still
    When you first get there the whole line is highlighted "HOME + Number"
    if you right arrow you get the buttons then up arrow to get back to the list of numbers you only hightlight the field name and can only edit from there.
    Given that 99% of the time you want to dial rather than edit the entry, this is frustrating.
    On a Treo where you dont want to touch the screen if you dont have to.
    Preference would be that up arrorw from the buttons should return to hightlighting both fields and "Midddle button" should dial as when you first arive in the screen from a search.

4. "Tap to Edit Tap to dial " headings may be needed for new users but on the 1000th time in the screen its starting to feel like it jus takes up space....anyway to surpress this?
    (and show more usefull details such as name and company at the top of the screen?

Thanks

19 days to go on trial...
    This app has come so far in the last few weeks......
    Im tempted to ask how to trial again in a few months time when its really really closser to "finished"! or I may just register and trust this to keep evolving.
    .no sig.
    Originally posted by wasinaus
    Sugestions:

Have an option to supress blank fields in the person detaills screen

eg Pager is blank for most people in my list .....but it shows up and I have to use extrea down arrows to go down to the address when it owuld have fitted on the first page of details

2. can we choose a font for the details screen and therefore fit more information in one screen

3. In the details screen the navigation is a little odd still
    if you right arrow you get the buttons then up arrow to get back to the list of numbers you only hightlight the field name and can only edit from there.
    Given that 99% of the time you want to dial rather than edit the entry, this is frustrating.
    On a Treo where you dont want to touch the screen if you dont have to.
    Preference would be that up arrorw from the buttons should return to hightlighting both fields and "Midddle button" should dial as when you first arive in the screen from a search.

4. "Tap to Edit Tap to dial " headings may be needed for new users but on the 1000th time in the screen its starting to feel like it jus takes up space....anyway to surpress this?
    (and show more usefull details such as name and company at the top of the screen?

Thanks

19 days to go on trial...
    This app has come so far in the last few weeks......
    Im tempted to ask how to trial again in a few months time when its really really closser to "finished"! or I may just register and trust this to keep evolving.

My comments are for v. 99r:

1. Good idea. I suspect this would require a gigantic amount of code and that code would have to be different for every device.

2. I always like these sorts of user options.

3. I assume you mean History dialog, then Details button. But I am not clear on which dialog you have questions about. When I get to the edit dialog (the one with tap to edit and tap to zoom, there is NO default highlight. I start 5-Way mode with a right press and I'm off and running. No problem here. Only the tap to edit column is accessible with the 5-Way and that is by design, as far I know, because if you have come all the way to this dialog, it is NOT because you want to Dial a number, it is because you want to edit the contact information. If you wanted to dial you could have done that in previous dialogs, which explains the behavior of the 5-Way here. I'd hate to see that changed because it was I who requested that it work this way. So, I guess I'm a bit biased. But if you think about it the only good reason to be in this dialog in the first place is to edit. You really should not go here to dial.

4. I don't understand your issue here. All contact fields are available via 5-Way Rocker.
    3. Search Dialog then details

After visiting the buttons (using right arrow ) then go back up to the details using the up button only the left side of the table is selected.

1. Why would supressing blank fields needs huge amount of code? I guess pulling - I guess pulling additional fields up onto a page may cause this....

I would think that even surpressing blank fields and leaving black space on a screen would clean up the look quite a bit.

Treo 600 running 99r
    .no sig.
    Actaully after down arrorw to the buttons it does time out and select the whole line from the details again.

Its just if you up arrorw that it selects the label only. and even then it will time out in a few seconds and select the whole line again.

Not hugely intuitive......but Ill get used to it
    .no sig.

After visiting the buttons (using right arrow ) then go back up to the details using the up button only the left side of the table is selected.

Sorry, I had the wrong dialog. But you can dial right away on that highlighted "HOME + Number" or scroll to another number and dial that one, or the 5-Way works well for getting to the edit fields (tap to edit), too, so I'm still not clear on exactly what the problem is. It seems to work well for me.

1. Why would supressing blank fields needs huge amount of code? I guess pulling - I guess pulling additional fields up onto a page may cause this....

Yes, because I assume the DB that TP is accessing is the built-in one, and it would change from device to device. But it's just idle speculation, because I'm not a programmer. Let's see what Shimon says.

I would think that even surpressing blank fields and leaving black space on a screen would clean up the look quite a bit.

Yes, it would indeed.