Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
  1.    #261  
    Originally posted by TAKEphONE

I am sorry if that sounded like I am trying to "brush" you off.

I did not.

I will try to fix this - it is indeed a TAKEphONE issue.
    This was an issue with dialing from DateBook5.

This is now FIXED (download the latest build at www.shsh.com/beta)
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com

This was an issue with dialing from DateBook5.

This is now FIXED (download the latest build at www.shsh.com/beta)
    Yes, totally fixed! Thanks.
    1. With the default highlight on the number field, a Rocker-center press dials the number. Since this is a Create & Edit detail, I do not think the number should dial from here, but should be editable.

1. I do not want the same looking screen to have two ways
    of functioning:
    - Dialing (press SELECT to dial), and
    - Editing (pres SELECT to edit)

Of course that would not make sense and would indeed be confusing. I was just suggesting (and only suggesting) that since the previous dialog ALREADY allowed editing the number that to default to that again in the subsequent dialog is what in IMO is confusing.

I think this may confuse people.
    So - the default form is as it is today. To edit a field -
    use the "5-way mode".

Another way of saying it is that to default to the number field AGAIN for dialing or editing is redundent and it is that, I believe, that users will find confusing. Again, this is IMHO, as I do indeed find it currently confusing as well as redundent.

Just to clarify, I understand that at the moment the "tap to dial" field is the default highlight one gets when the detail dialog appears after selecting Create & Edit from the pop-up. It is specifically this that is redundent of the previous Dial/Create dialog, because if you wanted to dial you already would have done so in Dial/Create "Make a Call," (from the pop-up), but if you want to edit, then you would select "Add to book" (from the pop-up) and then seleect Create & Edit (or just Create), but instead of getting the expected (to edit) you instead get "tap to dial," which is strange, not expected, and not intuitive. Seems clear to me that this is confusing and redundent, don't you think?

2. Again, with the default highlight on the number field, a Rocker-up press reveals the name text fields above, but nothing is highlighted, so you can't do anything yet.

2. The main use of the "Details" form is:
    - Dialing the different phone numbers of a record with as
    less presses as possible - this is why it opens at the
    PHONE fiels group, and why they are highlighted and you can
    scroll only the fields that HAVE phone numbers.
    - Second use - view the other fields, again - as less
    presses as possible, so - no scroll field by field, but
    group by group.

OK. That makes good sense; but how does one scroll "group by group" with as few presses a possible? I don't see how to do this currently except with many, many presses, not with as few as possible.

3. Once again, with the default highlight on the number field, Rocker-right then highlights the SMS button, and then 2 more Rocker-right presses highlights the Schedule button, then rocker-up moves the highlight into the number text field headers (Other, Mobile, Fax, etc.), where it is indeed possible to edit, but it is not possible to move the highlight into a name text field from this point and edit. It just won't go there. After a lot of Rockering around it is possible to get into a name text field, but it seems I got there by accident. It's just not clear how to do it.

3. To EDIT records using the 5-way - use the "5-way mode":
    - Start it by pressing RIGHT.
    - Now you can scroll up/down between the currently viewable
    fields and the bottom buttons row. You can NOT scroll to
    next/prev fields group.
    (You can consider this "5-way mode" as a "ZOOM group to edit")

Yes, I understand. However, the following actions work--try it:

In the Detail dialog, before a rocker-right (before starting 5-way mode), press rocker-up. This will move to the previous text field "group." Then begin 5-Way mode with rocker-right, then rocker-left 2X, then rocker-up into the text field headers and then you CAN highlight and edit. One can do the same with an initital rocker-down, too. It's a bit Byzantine, but it does in fact work. Is this intentional? If not, it does work, if a bit clumsy, but definitely workable if there is no other solution. (This is what I referred to before as not being able to figure out how I did this. That WAS how I did it.)

4. Once in an edit detail dialog, there are three buttons that are not supported at all by 5Way

a: If you tap the text field header, the following dialog offers two buttons: 'OK' and 'Back.'
    b. If you tap the text field itself, the following dialog offers two other buttons: 'Back and 'Update.' The 'Update' button is in fact supported by a Rocker-center press, but it is the only one.

4. Regarding the "Tap to Edit" or "Tap to Zoom" dialogs -
    Up/Down is used here to scroll the text up/down, left/right -
    to move the cursor. So - no way to navigate to those two
    buttons...

A few things here:

1. Suggestion: I notice that only rocker-right and rocker-left function in the text field in these two dialogs. Rocker-down and Rocker-up do nothing. Why not assign Rocker-down/up to the 'OK' and 'Back' buttons, and to the 'Back and 'Update' buttons?

2. In DB5, just as an example, there are similar issues, and the remedy was to press the option button and then the rocker (without holding the option button).

3. Another suggestion: At the very least, a simple center-rocker press should be the equal of tapping the "OK" button, which is in bold and is already supposed to work that way. But it does not. As I mentioned the only button of these four that responds at all to the 5-Way is the 'Update' (bold) button ("Tap to Zoom" dialog): it responds to a center-rocker press. Well, actually a rocker-center press does indeed work for the 'OK' button, but only in number fields, not in name fields.

4. It seems you do not want to make both "tap to edit" AND "tap to zoom" dialogs accessible from 5-Way. At the moment only "tap to edit" is accessible. Not sure why you feel this way, if in fact you do.

BTW: these fixes must be incredibly difficult to do on a simulator that does not always generate the actual hardware codes. More power to you for getting as far as you have. If I had just a few Treo 600s, I'd send you one in a flash. And not ask for it to be returned!

I have been trying out TAKEphONE, and I must say I am really impressed.

On another note, I have noticed the spacebar issue as well. There are some speed dial entries that have other numbers associated with them. On the regular speed dial page, pressing the space bar will pop up a list of those other numbers. To its credit, TAKEphONE will usually mimic this behavior. It is inconsistent though, it works for some speed dial entries and not for others.

Once again, this application looks great!
  5.    #265  
    Hi,

Posted a new build (5.05m 99j) at www.shsh.com/beta:

- "5-way mode" in DETAILS - scroll through all fields.
    - DETAILS called from DIAL/CREATE - start at names.
    - Treo 600 SPACE: use lookup for faster matches.
    - Treo 600 SPACE: Smarter (?) numbes matching.

Please report any problem - especially with the SPACE - report the name & phone of the record in the favorites list, and the eay it is stored in the address-book.

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
  6.    #266  
    Some more quick fix - 5.05m 99k - is at www.shsh.com/beta

Another fix in the numbers matching - SPACE in speed-dial...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Hi,

Posted a new build (5.05m 99j) at www.shsh.com/beta:

- "5-way mode" in DETAILS - scroll through all fields.
    - DETAILS called from DIAL/CREATE - start at names.
    - Treo 600 SPACE: use lookup for faster matches.
    - Treo 600 SPACE: Smarter (?) numbes matching.

Please report any problem - especially with the SPACE - report the name & phone of the record in the favorites list, and the eay it is stored in the address-book.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some more quick fix - 5.05m 99k - is at www.shsh.com/beta
    Another fix in the numbers matching - SPACE in speed-dial...

Thanks !

Holy mackerel! Unbelievable! Words fail me on this one. Instead of more Bravi 99J/K is worth a second reg fee. So I just sent you some green via PayPal.
  8.    #268  
    Originally posted by elysian9

Holy mackerel! Unbelievable! Words fail me on this one. Instead of more Bravi 99J/K is worth a second reg fee. So I just sent you some green via PayPal.
    THANKS !

This is really unnecessary.

(Well - a new Treo 600 would do... )

BTW - I hope my PayPal account is not deactivated - I have never used it, because they did not allow me to withrawl money here at Israel (!)

Again - THANKS !!!
    Shimon Shnitzer
    B]Truncated company names :[/B]

When you have a company name stored with no firstname last name (ie you dont know anyone there but you need the name of the company).
    In the find list the company name is truncated to 12 characters even though about twice that many would fit on the line.
    This results in the "Eastern Suberbs GP's after hours" company (not very good name anyway) being reduced to "Eastern Subu." If there is no firstname/lastname then company name should be used for the whole available width.

Tabs
    Once one gets used to using the phone button to navigate the tabs dont need to be so big. They really just indicate which screen your on and the heading does that effectivly anyway. Given that the treo600 is really a 90%touchscreen free device anyway I dont see why these need to be so big (and conversly why other things such as find results and speed-dial fonts etc need to be so small)
    I imagine that removing them would require some work (or at least scaling up the rest of the interface to use up the space would require some work)
    Just a sugestion.
    .no sig.
  10.    #270  
    Fixed the company display thing.

version is 5.05m 99m
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Shimon....Your software rocks.

Any plans to make the five-way nav work in Preferences?
  12.    #272  
    Originally posted by rosenft
    Shimon....Your software rocks.

Any plans to make the five-way nav work in Preferences?
    Afraid this will have to wait a little...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    I've just begun trying out the current beta of this software, and it does some impressive things. But...

It relies very heavily on using the "phone" button. I use a product named Button Launcher to assign multiple programs to each hardware button, and I don't want to turn this one button over exclusively to TakePhone.

I can reach a satisfactory compromise by letting TakePhone control the phone button within the app, but not making it the mandatory selection when outside the app, except for one thing: It appears that the only way to dial from within another application is to assign TakePhone to the hardware button. I had hoped assigning TakePhone to the Opt-Phone button would work, but it doesn't

Is there any chance of allowing more flexibility in dialing from an outside application?

Also, do you have any plans to augment D-Pad support? Right now, it is awkward in many ways. As an example, to navigate to the quick list, I have to be in one of the two righthand number columns on the keypad, and then scroll up. Why can't I get to the top by scrolling up on any column?

And after a few seconds at the drop down, the program decides on it's own it's time to go to the name window. Why? Maybe I want a different category, but got sidetracked and didn't choose it immediately. I'd rather decide for myself when to move the cursor, thank you. This might not be so bad if I could simply hit the up key and get back to the category list, but I can't. It seems I have to move left, then right twice, and then up to return to where I wanted to be all along.

I don't mean to be critical, as this app does many things well. But I hope the use of the D-pad can be improved.

One minor curiousity: How is the order of the categories decided? It appears random (All, Unfiled, Business, Personal, Quicklist, Restaurants, Archive, Commericial....)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  14.    #274  
    Hi,

1. I will try and allow for changing the button for dialing from other apps.

2. What exactly do you mean by "And after a few seconds at the drop down, the program decides on it's own it's time to go to the name window" ?

3. I will also look into sorting the categories.

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    I've just begun trying out the current beta of this software, and it does some impressive things. But...

It relies very heavily on using the "phone" button. I use a product named Button Launcher to assign multiple programs to each hardware button, and I don't want to turn this one button over exclusively to TakePhone.

This is a user option. Turn it off in Prefs<using the “Phone” button.

I can reach a satisfactory compromise by letting TakePhone control the phone button within the app, but not making it the mandatory selection when outside the app, except for one thing: It appears that the only way to dial from within another application is to assign TakePhone to the hardware button. I had hoped assigning TakePhone to the Opt-Phone button would work, but it doesn't

Is there any chance of allowing more flexibility in dialing from an outside application?

Yes, dialing from another app is possible but it requires the TakePhone hack extension, which requires a hack manager. But it does work.

Also, do you have any plans to augment D-Pad support? Right now, it is awkward in many ways. As an example, to navigate to the quick list, I have to be in one of the two righthand number columns on the keypad, and then scroll up. Why can't I get to the top by scrolling up on any column?

I see your point if the keyboard is not hidden. I keep the keyboard hidden, and so reaching the category drop-down is rather easy. In fact, there are two ways to view it. Since I rarely manually dial the phone, I do not need to see the keyboard. But that would be a good thing to add, i.e., better rocker support in this view with keyboard not hidden.

And after a few seconds at the drop down, the program decides on it's own it's time to go to the name window. Why? Maybe I want a different category, but got sidetracked and didn't choose it immediately. I'd rather decide for myself when to move the cursor, thank you. This might not be so bad if I could simply hit the up key and get back to the category list, but I can't. It seems I have to move left, then right twice, and then up to return to where I wanted to be all along.

Go to Prefs<Find and check “Up” button=change categories.

Well… actually, after the highlight times-out, rocker-up scrolls the category list, albeit without dropping it down, but does only move upwards (rocker-up long hold) in a loop. If you then land on your category of choice and then rocker-down, it takes you into the name list field (if list view has been selected) or into the name button field (if button view has been selected). These two views can be selected from the view list/button icon located in the upper right corner of screen. In list view, with regard to the category drop-down in the Find dialog, rocker behavior seems good to me.

You have to fool around a bit in Prefs with zoom, keyboard, etc, to get this to work the way you want it to.

Ideally, yes, it would be best as a user setting option in Prefs that would allow the time-out length to be set on a per-user basis, and/or to shut it off if so desired. Personally I don’t mind the time out.

I don't mean to be critical, as this app does many things well. But I hope the use of the D-pad can be improved.

You have no idea how far this app has come over the past week or so. Rocker support is so far advanced in the current beta (99m) as to make the ones from a week ago seem almost primitive. You owe it to yourself to read my posts in particular from this thread, since I’ve been pushing the 5-Way rocker thing very diligently and precisely. I’m very happy with Shimon’s work. He’s done a fantastic job at building these betas with incredible celerity and sensitivity. He deserves nothing but praise for his efforts and his commitment to his clients. Remember, we are beta testing here, and thus receive the benefits of a developer who really and truly is listening and responding. If your suggestion(s) work for him and make good software sense, they will magically appear in the next beta.

Try this and see how you respond to TAKEphONE afterwards: Try hiding the keyboard (in Display & Formats), Unchecking both “Phone” button runs TAKEphONE, and “Phone” loops through (in using the “Phone” button), checking If single match – Open “Details,” and “Down” button=Open “Zoom”, and “Up” button=change categories (in Find). Now tap on the list icon (upper right corner of screen) for every dialog/view. (This will give you an alternative appearance to the native phone app and improves some of the 5-Way functioning.)
  16.    #276  
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    One minor curiousity: How is the order of the categories decided? It appears random (All, Unfiled, Business, Personal, Quicklist, Restaurants, Archive, Commericial....)
    Just posted 5.05m 99p at www.shsh.com/beta

Fixes this - category popup list is now sorted.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Man, I wish there were more software developers like you. You have made TakePhone worth the money just from your support alone.

Thanks.
  18.    #278  
    Thanks.

Yet another update: 5-Way support for EDIT, ZOOM, NOTE forms.
    (Press RIGHT when cursor at end of field)

5.05m 99q at www.shsh.com/beta
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Thanks.

Yet another update: 5-Way support for EDIT, ZOOM, NOTE forms.
    (Press RIGHT when cursor at end of field)

5.05m 99q at www.shsh.com/beta
    Works like a charm. And a prince, you are.
    Didn't read through all the posts in the thread but is it a known bug if you have the Phone button activated that using the gray key (to get the numbers) plus the phone key crashes the program?