1.    #1  
    I just downloaded and installed RecoEchoPlus from HS's web site for my 270 and synced it. When I attempt to activate the software, I get a prompt that says

"Your Palm device has an older version of RecoEcho installed. Please disable and uninstall this older version first before enabling RecoEchoPlus".

Well that's great if I could figure out where it is and how it got there in the first place as this is the first time I have ever put this piece of software on my Treo. If I go to delete files, I cannot find a RecoEcho app other than the one I just installed "RecoEchoPlus".

I believe at some point I had a version of RecoEcho on my Visordeluxe. Is it possible that something is in my saved prefs or carried over when I synced my treo that I've had now since June??

Any help would be appreciated...
    Load up Filez and see what's there
    Only in a Jeep.
  3.    #3  
    I have Filez but can't find any files that relate to the name RecoEcho.
    FWIW: I got rid of RE because it was causing too many problems. Instead, NewPen. Much, much, better, and behaves as totally integrated software. You can turn it on/off as desired from within any text app. So if you discover a SW conflict, just tap the little icon and it's gone. And... it's free. Handspring blew it again.

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...4&prodID=42632
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I don't really care at all for any on screen graffitti type software but my goal was to check out "spell check" software and in the users guide it referred to installing recoechoplus in order to make the :menu: stoke command on the screen to activate the spellcheck edit menu in any of my apps in order to check spelling.
    I didn't think that this was going to be such a task.

I'll give NewPen a try.

Thanks
    Just a guess...but you may have gotten RechoEcho with your GPRS upgrade, or if you got a replacement Treo in the last month or so since RechoEcho is now a part of the pre-install.
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    I didn't think that this was going to be such a task. I'll give NewPen a try.

Thanks
    I hear you. With NewPen, you'll be able to activate it, then perform your pen stroke to start SpellCheck and then immediately deactivate NewPen all in the same app.

The other negative to all this is that Spell Check programs need very large dictionary databases too be effective, which eats up a ton of RAM. Of course, if the Treo had an extension card, this and many other issues would disappear as well
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Alli
    Just a guess...but you may have gotten RechoEcho with your GPRS upgrade, or if you got a replacement Treo in the last month or so since RechoEcho is now a part of the pre-install.
    I did perform the gprs 1.1 upgrade back in Oct, and if RecoEcho were rolled up into that upgrade, where would it be and how would I activate it? I've never seen it.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by elysian9

I hear you. With NewPen, you'll be able to activate it, then perform your pen stroke to start SpellCheck and then immediately deactivate NewPen all in the same app.
    Thank you!

NewPen works like a charm and allows me to access the spellcheck menu!

Thank you!

NewPen works like a charm and allows me to access the spellcheck menu!
    I read this thread and I am very interested in SpellCheck in general. Two questions:
    1. Can you spellcheck as you write?
    2. Now that you can use the graffiti stroke with NewPen, can you spellcheck email or documents?
    Thanks much, m00se
  11.    #11  
    1. You can type and than have spell check check it for errors and you can insert words that you commonly use for spell check to autocorrect.
    2.Yes, you can spell check in any program at least with all the programs that I'm currently using. If not you can copy the text to the spell check app and than check the spelling.
    1. You can type and than have spell check check it for errors and you can insert words that you commonly use for spell check to autocorrect.
    2.Yes, you can spell check in any program at least with all the programs that I'm currently using. If not you can copy the text to the spell check app and than check the spelling.
    Hello millerhifi,

I am clueless!
    I tried using NewPen, following the "readme" directions, but nothing: No response from my Treo. Then I was looking for SpellCheck in different apps but it never shows up (yet the NewPen "readme" says: "On a palm with OS 3.5 or above, In any program with an edit field, when this field is active, the Menu Command bar will have a SpellCheck option on it.").
    Can you help me here please?
    Thanks, m00se
  13.    #13  
    Once you enable the NewPen application, when in a text field and you are typing, if you do a :menu: stroke it will bring up the edit menu at the buttom of your screen and you can than tap on the SpellCheck (abc) icon that appears in that edit menu.
    Once you enable the NewPen application, when in a text field and you are typing, if you do a :menu: stroke it will bring up the edit menu at the buttom of your screen and you can than tap on the SpellCheck (abc) icon that appears in that edit menu.
    OK done. But NewPen does not work with my email (Snapper), it doesn't work with Wordsmith and it doesn't work with SMS -- the three apps that I use the most. Oh well, I gave it a try.
    Thanks for your help!
    m00se
  15.    #15  
    NewPen works in the SMS app on my 270 and it works on TreoMail and 2BAnywhere email apps. Are you sure it won't work with the 3 apps you mentioned? There should be a little square box in the right hand bottom corner of your screen in each app that you are typing in. You tap on it to activate NewPen.
    NewPen works in the SMS app on my 270 and it works on TreoMail and 2BAnywhere email apps. Are you sure it won't work with the 3 apps you mentioned? There should be a little square box in the right hand bottom corner of your screen in each app that you are typing in. You tap on it to activate NewPen.
    Humm... when I tap on that little square box, nothing happens. I'll uninstall it and try it again. Keep you posted as well.
    Thanks, m00se
    OK. I tried and tried. The little box in the right hand bottom corner does not respond to anything I do to it. It just sits there, hibernating perhaps. And the stroke that is supposed to activate SpellCheck doesn't work either. Unless I have an app that is conflicting with NewPen, I am in the dark.
    m00se
  18.    #18  
    In the NewPen app I have it set to Enabled with a check mark in the Draw Stroke box, Cammand Bar Support and Single Tap Recognition.
    In the NewPen app I have it set to Enabled with a check mark in the Draw Stroke box, Cammand Bar Support and Single Tap Recognition.
    Thanks again, you have been patient with me and my Treo. I tried all of that but NewPen simply does not work. I assume I have conflicting apps on my Treo. So here's a new question: Is there an app that check for conflicting apps? There's a great PC/Mac software that does it for computers.
    m00se