1.    #1  
    they realized it is a horrible made product and threw it out the window.

HS now has 4 products left as brand new... Treo 270, 300, Visor Pro and Platinum.

the end is soon for HS i fear
    Originally posted by jimbob1234
    they realized it is a horrible made product and threw it out the window.

HS now has 4 products left as brand new... Treo 270, 300, Visor Pro and Platinum.

the end is soon for HS i fear
    I don't think the end is near, at least not based on the fact that they only have 4 products they sell as new.

They are even phasing out selling the remaining Visor's and selling the current ones at cost, according to the latest earnings conference call. I think they'll come out with new Treo's very soon, probably carrier-branded ones (again, according to the conference call, though the soon part is my guess). This is in line with their strategy of getting out of the organizer business and into communicators with carrier alliances.
    The "strategic carrier partners" (1) have never been defined as to relationship with Handspring - to say "branded treos" is simply an incorrect assumption - and (2) are not expected til year end anyway. Listen carefully to what Handspring says during the earnings conference if it is still available - they waved their hands totally when talking about these hoped-for carriers with NO mention of any special branding (ala Sprint).
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    The "strategic carrier partners" (1) have never been defined as to relationship with Handspring - to say "branded treos" is simply an incorrect assumption - and (2) are not expected til year end anyway. Listen carefully to what Handspring says during the earnings conference if it is still available - they waved their hands totally when talking about these hoped-for carriers with NO mention of any special branding (ala Sprint).
    To say assume "branded Treo's" is not an unfounded assumption. There is some info in the call to support this. As I recall, they say that they are working on a couple of more partnerships and throughout the call cite the success of the Sprint deal and the one in China and say that they want to do more of this type of deals. What other types of partnerships exist? They don't say they will be branded, but they don't say they won't either. They never mention T-Mobile or Cingular in the call, so I assume that they don't consider their current relationships with such carriers "partnerships".

I think they say "later in the year"; they don't say year's end, as far as I recall. They also mentioned, in response to a question, that it will include both existing and new models. Which, in the case of existing models, could happen relatively quickly because they don't need to wait for a new product.
    You are incorrectly remembering what HAND management said. Here is a link to the conference (that worlked yesterday) - listen again:

-- http://web.servicebureau.net/conf/me...1_16_2003_HAND

Anyone who is interested in the now-defunct TREOs or their successor(s) (Robin? Quattro?) SHOULD listen to it.
    The Treo 180 was introduced to tide things over until the Treo 270 and Treo 300 were released. I am not at all surprised that they have discontinued them. The Treo 180 will be the last monochrome device from Handspring. From now on you will see only color communicator type devices from them I think.

I personally think that focusing on communicators only is a good thing given their limited resources. More effort will be placed on creating an excellent product if they focus on one or two things at a time.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  7. rsh
    Lets face it, we have been screwed. Look for the forclosure notice. $90.00/share to $0.82/share. They are just trying to cut their losses. I am looking for a good deal on a Kyocera 7135.

rsh
    Distributed Folding for [H]umanity
    Join [H]ard|OCP's Team Today at
    http://www.hardforum.com
    OMG, some of you guys act like a company has never discontinued a product before. They discontinued a model, big deal.
    Originally posted by rsh
    Lets face it, we have been screwed. Look for the forclosure notice. $90.00/share to $0.82/share. They are just trying to cut their losses. I am looking for a good deal on a Kyocera 7135.

rsh
    Why does discontinuing the 180 mean we are screwed? Even if you belive that HS is going to tank, why do you need to buy a new phone now, or even after they tank? Do you rely on HS's existence to use your phone?

Incidentally, I'm glad they're discontinuing the 180. Discontinuing the 90 doesn't sound so good, however. It suggests bad planning. However, the glass-half-full camp could say that they put it out there to try out Palm OS 4.x and SDIO and that they could use that as the basis for the upcoming new phone models. Palm's Tungsten W has OS 4.x and I won't be surprised if HS's next offering is on 4.x.
    > ...They discontinued a model, big deal.

Some, such as myself, believe they discontinued ALL their models, not just one or two.

They said they were going to and they have discontinued the TREO 180 after a relatively short life and the TREO 90 after a dramatically short life.

However, they ALSO said they are not going to build any more TREO 270s or 300s unless they get orders for them ("...no more build to inventory, only build to order from now on..."). And we know they have more than 100,000 unsold TREO communicators of some type "in stock" already ("in stock" means they're built and sitting unsold somewhere). And we know that the "inventory" of TREO 270s and 300s is higher than they like (they said all this in the earnings conference). AND we know that different-form-factor communicators are "coming soon".

Well ... connect those HUMONGOUS BIG BLACK DOTS TOGETHER and it's fairly obvious tht not only did Handspring discontinue A model, they discontinued them ALL. By the time they have reduced inventory levels of current TREOs to something reasonable, the new communicators will have been released (at current sell-off levels 100,000 unsold communicators will take something like three QUARTERS to get rid of).

(BTW - noting the discontinuance of everything they currently have is not a negative thing - obviously Handspring has to survive FIRST and building UP inventory when it is grossly too high already would not be prudent - it is merely noting that they're outta the TREO business (it is unlikely the RSN new communicators will be called TREOs, IMHO, since they will have different features and form-factors))
    As a current 180 owner, I do not feel bad about the 180 being discontinued. Heck, as an old Visor Deluxe owner, this is not surprising

I would not expect any company to keep producing a product that is either out-dated or not competitive in the marketplace (eg. BETA machines, 8-track players or Record players, Dreamcast consoles, Motorola Startac, etc..etc...)

I know I am eyeing the 270 or whatever new product they are developing (360?) for the future. I believe (as does Handspring, evidently) that color is where the market is going.

As a stockholder, I am not happy with the stock performance, but the only thing I can do is support the company (by purchasing the products) and 'tout' their products.

Just my .02...
    > ...They discontinued a model, big deal.

Some, such as myself, believe they discontinued ALL their models, not just one or two.

However, they ALSO said they are not going to build any more TREO 270s or 300s unless they get orders for them ("...no more build to inventory, only build to order from now on...").
    How could a decision to build to order mean discontinuing a product? I realize that you mean that they may not have to build any 270's or 300's anymore if they never need more than they have in stock and new models come out before then, but this is not equivalent to a decision to discontinue them. Discontinuing all products sounds extremely negative, and this is not what is going on.
    Well ... connect those HUMONGOUS BIG BLACK DOTS TOGETHER and it's fairly obvious tht not only did Handspring discontinue A model, they discontinued them ALL.
    Umm, sure. Still seems like quite a stretch that you basically come to the conclusion that all models have been discontinued.

All threads discussing Handspring's future are getting a little tiring I might add. No one knows what they are going to bring out, nor how succussful it or they will be. All hopefull/hopeless speculation.
    not sure i understand why were in so much trouble? nokia discontinued the 5510, i still had one then i replaced it with a discontinued treo 180, just cause there not building them anymore doesnt mean we cant use or buy them from elsewhere.... ok fine u may have parts problems but the treo 180's a discount model or really a market prototype, its not going be there for long. How many people still own palm IIIs?
    Well, T-Mobile just started selling the 270 with a big T-Mobile lable on top. Here is a picture. I call this branded since T-Mobile is a brand and it is displayed on the phone.
    Hey... since the 180's are discontinued... I just wonder how long it will take till I can buy cheap replacement units on ebay, etc., when this one (my third) breaks.