1.    #1  
    So, after playing around with TealMovie, I'm now convinced that this Treo 300 should be fast enough to decode MP3, or at least OGG. Has anyone tried writing an MP3 player?

Thanks,
    Peter
  2. jmw
    Originally posted by phandel
    So, after playing around with TealMovie, I'm now convinced that this Treo 300 should be fast enough to decode MP3, or at least OGG. Has anyone tried writing an MP3 player?

Thanks,
    Peter
    That doesn't sound like a practical undertaking. I'm not sure that the 33 Mhz Dragonball processor is fast enough to play mp3 in the first place, and even if it were, the Treo's 16MB of memory (with even less being available to store mp3's), would make it a rather poor mp3 player.
  3.    #3  
    ...although it may be interesting to see the lowest ogg bitrate that still sounds acceptable?

Thanks,
    Peter
    TealMovie has the ability to play WAV files off of an SD card. I had an M505 with a pretty good WAV file on it in order to test. It was barely recognisable. The sound qualty and power of the generic sound system is lacking, to say the least.

The Treo, along with all other Palm compatibles without specialized sound hardware will be limited to the beeps, clicks and chirps we have all come to know and love.
    Even if the Treo does have the processing power to decode MP3s, I don't see it lasting very long considering its battery life.
    And we'd probably have to listen to them in mono as well.