1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the native Treo SMS (which resides in flashable ROM) can be deleted and how? I'd like to replace it with a different SMS app (maxText).
    Thanks, m00se
    Last edited by m00se; 01/31/2003 at 08:50 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I am answering my own question, for people who are interested, or wondering about this issue. According to Handspring: "All the built in applications can not be deleted on the Treo. You can simply install the third party application and use it separately from the SMS application on the Treo."
    Oh well.
    m00se
    JackFlash and JackSprat enable you to do this. By Brayder technology. Sorry, i don't have al ink... google it.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by miradu
    JackFlash and JackSprat enable you to do this. By Brayder technology. Sorry, i don't have al ink... google it.
    Humm. So HS gave me the wrong answer?
    Thanks! moose
    The SMS app might be different though. Some 3rd party SMS apps, like the one in Iambic Mail, utilize the built in SMS app. I would do further checking before deleting it. Or at the very least back up the SMS app, then play with Maxtext. If it doesn't work, then you could at least put the default SMS app back.
    miradu,

Since the stock SMS application from the VisorPhone module doesn't support double-byte SMS messages and the ROM that comes with VisorPhone is Flash ROM, is it possible to use the JackSprat from http://www.brayder.com/products/jacksprat_beta.html to remove the stock SMS application as well?

TIA,
    Shawn
    miradu,

Since the stock SMS application from the VisorPhone module doesn't support double-byte SMS messages and the ROM that comes with VisorPhone is Flash ROM, is it possible to use the JackSprat from http://www.brayder.com/products/jacksprat_beta.html to remove the stock SMS application as well?

TIA,
    Shawn
    I'm going to say no, becuase jackflash/jacksprat don't know how to access the visorphone ROM... but, really i have never thought about doing that, and do not know a real answer.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by m00se

Humm. So HS gave me the wrong answer?
    Thanks! moose
    Did you really think that Handspring would tell you how to go in and remove an application from the ROM of your Treo, and in doing so run the risk of screwing it up and running the risk you you having to get a replacement Treo shipped to you?
    As Hanspring explains in this post (2nd paragraph) http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH they do not support users flashing their TREO's.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by ShadowDweller

Did you really think that Handspring would tell you how to go in and remove an application from the ROM of your Treo, and in doing so run the risk of screwing it up and running the risk you you having to get a replacement Treo shipped to you?
    I don't disagree. But I asked HS staff if it is possible to do it, not if they recommend it. It turns out that people have deleted some apps from their Treo's ROM (CityTime, for example) and the Treo worked fine afterward. I am not going to delete the native SMS, but I wanted to educate myself of the possibilities, and I have learned something
    m00se