1.    #1  
    I just a bought a Treo 270 - I used a Palm Vx 2 years ago for a while so I am familiar with Palm OS, but I had a long hiatus in the wilderness, trying different platforms before returning to Palm.

I would like to hear people's recommendations as to what software I should download and install on my new Treo.

Thanks in advance.
    email client: SnapperMail
    Chat: VeriChat or QuickChat
    Calendar: Agendus
    Launcher: Launcher X
    Picture viewer: FireViewer
    Chess game: ChessTiger
    Utility: FileZ

The above apps can be found at:

http://www.handango.com/
    http://www.palmgear.com/

There are tons more apps! You might want to do a quick search here.
    Have fun with your Treo!
    m00se
    It depends on how you will use your Treo. I have a lot of contacts for example and I am finding a couple of problems with Agendus (see thread 'Searching in Agendus').

Agendus is much better than DateBk though.

I installed a lot of stuff in the first 2 weeks of owning my Treo and have now uninstalled most of it becuase I simply dont use it day to day. You need to really think what you will use the most on a day to day basis . . . . . I would avoid the temptation to load it up with junk just becuase you can.

My 'additional' software is : -

Agendus - brilliant (almost)

Chess Tiger - life saver in the dentist waiting room

OnlyMe - Basic security . . tried others . . I like this one

AlbumToGo - Free and great . . not really played with it much but I am keeping it installed for now.

Wordsmith - extends usibility of the limited Memo software (limited to 4k memos).

SnapperMail - Great . . but trial expired now . . didnt really use it much becuase I can check emails at work and home so easily.

I REALLY good thing (if you are able) is to have your mobile network send you free SMS messages whenever you receive an email. In UK I use O2 and have all my office and personal mail auto-forwarded to O2 and I get the first 160 characters of every email as a text message . . and it doesn't cost me.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    My favorite add on is Handy Shopper. It's a checklist for shopping and it's free. Also very useful for any other checklists, such as stuff to take before you travel.

Eudora works well for e-mail (also free), and agree with Verichat for IM.
  5.    #5  
    Great suggestions!

Agendus is absolutely great. I had Launcher III, but Launcher X in color is absolutely brilliant!

If you have any more suggestions, do post!
    Some other stuff you might want to check out...

Colorize
    PowerJog
    VSAlerts (if you use T-Mobile)
    B'Alerted