Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bassman97
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    So I recently got a Centro to mess around with & am wondering if I could practically use it in this day & age, assuming I have a data plan on it.

What might be the best apps for e-mail, mapping, Google Latitude, music playback, & browser? Is there a Facebook & Twitter app for Palm OS? Is Palm OS really a non-multitasking OS? How might one go about getting their contacts into the device if they use Google to store their contacts? Is there a way to sync calendar entries from Google Calendar? Is Teal OS worth bothering with or are other launchers better, if they're even necessary?

I have a 64-bit Windows OS on my PC & from what I understand, Aceeca made some drivers that ought to work on later Palm OS devices in addition to their own hardware. Has anyone had success using this on a GSM Centro?

Thanks.
    I had a Palm Centro on Sprint for several years before switching to a Palm Pre this last summer (and then making the FrankenPre mod to put its antenna into a Pre 2).

While it did not have all the features and apps of a WebOS phone, it could do a lot of things with the Sprint VisionPlus data plan ($15 extra a month on top of call plan).

It has/had an e-mail app included that works well with multiple accounts, a Google Maps app that was usable (although a bit slow due to the time to download the map graphics), a music playback app, and an included browser app that was OK (but certainly not HTML5 based and not fast on complex sites). It could be video clips, but that was a bit choppy.

I do not have a Google account, but if you can get Google to export your contact info into a CSV file or something like that, the Palm Desktop app should be able to import that and then you can synch with the Centro. Not sure about synching with Google Calendar.

Since you are asking about a GSM Centro, you might get better data speed, but the limit for the speed you can get for a lot of app stuff will be the processor. The Centro, can, though take an extra 4GB memory card, so you can boost the memory. There were a variety of apps for Palm OS that may still be available (and even more if your Centro happens to already have Java installed on it....that is no longer "officially" available).

All in all, I found the Centro to be very rugged and good experience for my first smart phone...at least for its time.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
    So I recently got a Centro to mess around with & am wondering if I could practically use it in this day & age, assuming I have a data plan on it.

What might be the best apps for e-mail, mapping, Google Latitude, music playback, & browser? Is there a Facebook & Twitter app for Palm OS? Is Palm OS really a non-multitasking OS? How might one go about getting their contacts into the device if they use Google to store their contacts? Is there a way to sync calendar entries from Google Calendar? Is Teal OS worth bothering with or are other launchers better, if they're even necessary?

I have a 64-bit Windows OS on my PC & from what I understand, Aceeca made some drivers that ought to work on later Palm OS devices in addition to their own hardware. Has anyone had success using this on a GSM Centro?

Thanks.
    Opera Mini is a great web browser to try.

the default music player is good
    there is a facebook app, but you may be better off using the website
    twitter, i have no idea
    Email, you probably want to stick with the default email app. or use the web version
    Palm OS, it's has no multitasking (like iOS) although fast app switching is there, but music can play in the background.

I know there was a Google Calendar syncing tool called GooSync, but it no longer works. Perhaps you can get MS Outlook to sync between Google and the Centro.

TealOS is cool, but they dont sell it officially anymore
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    There is little in the way of apps that are still around for the Centro. There was a Facebook app and it works OK. At one point Palm had a fight with Java and pulled.it from there phones. Opera mini needed it to work properly but often crashes. There was a java add on that works. Finding these all now is difficult.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917 View Post

Thanks.
    I think you can. For browsing, get every browser made. Opera works great usually, but sometimes Blazer (Web), or Web Pro are needed. For email, Chatteremail is by far the best email client that I've used (and wish webOS ported a version). Download it and search for the hack to enable the full version. The Facebook app was also quite excellent from what I remembered but who knows if Facebook changed their APIs. Palm OS multitasks like the iPhone (one task only, but background services are there). However, you can use desk accessories (basically pausing an app and running a new one in front of it) to offset this disadvantage. To use Google, add your account in Versamail (Email) as an Exchange account and select what you want synced. As for launchers, I like Initiate and best of all, the dev made it free now (and many of his other titles are quite useful as well).
    xandros9 likes this.