Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Any suggestions on how to go back to the factory defaults. I have some lingering tones. I've been using the buggy Ringo. Prior to running TCRinger through it's paces, I wanted go back to the defaults and remove Ringo for the time being. Would a hard reset do this? If so, what should I delete on my Mac to avoid the file over writing.
    thanks in advance
    chris
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by chrism
    Any suggestions on how to go back to the factory defaults. I have some lingering tones. I've been using the buggy Ringo. Prior to running TCRinger through it's paces, I wanted go back to the defaults and remove Ringo for the time being. Would a hard reset do this? If so, what should I delete on my Mac to avoid the file over writing.
    thanks in advance
    chris
    Unfortuantely there is no way (at least that I know of) to restore the default radio ringtones. The ringtones are stored in flash in the radio and will survive a hard reset. This is precisely the reason why TC Ringer won't allow you to remove any of the factory default ringtone...you can't recover them if you remove them.
  3. Puk
    Puk is offline
    Puk's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    #3  
    Originally posted by sgruby


    Unfortuantely there is no way (at least that I know of) to restore the default radio ringtones. The ringtones are stored in flash in the radio and will survive a hard reset. This is precisely the reason why TC Ringer won't allow you to remove any of the factory default ringtone...you can't recover them if you remove them.
    I have a ringtone on there that I installed, but that is listed as locked/default and that I can't delete. I had both ringo and tcringer installed at one point, so I might have confused it, but right now I can't find a way to remove that one. I can re-install it and it will have both a locked and unlocked copy of the same song. Clearing/syncing with Ringo had no effect. I've since uninstalled Ringo (TCRinger is so clean and reliable, with this one glitch!), but I'd prefer not to have to hard reset. Any ideas? Thanks.

    Also, I assume this is a Treo limitation, but when I select a ringtone in ringer prefs, it only demos a few seconds of it. It's not a big deal, since the whole thing plays when the phone actually rings.

    -Puk
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by Puk


    I have a ringtone on there that I installed, but that is listed as locked/default and that I can't delete. I had both ringo and tcringer installed at one point, so I might have confused it, but right now I can't find a way to remove that one. I can re-install it and it will have both a locked and unlocked copy of the same song. Clearing/syncing with Ringo had no effect. I've since uninstalled Ringo (TCRinger is so clean and reliable, with this one glitch!), but I'd prefer not to have to hard reset. Any ideas? Thanks.

    Also, I assume this is a Treo limitation, but when I select a ringtone in ringer prefs, it only demos a few seconds of it. It's not a big deal, since the whole thing plays when the phone actually rings.

    -Puk
    You'll need to figure out how to get Ringo to remove the "locked" tone as TC Ringer won't let you touch the first 24 or so tones (the default ones). This "glitch" isn't a problem with TC Ringer, it is an issue that Ringo had and TC Ringer can't correct it. Hard resetting won't restore the tones or remove the ones you've put in it. Yes, the preview is limited to a few seconds; TC Ringer will preview the sound for 15 seconds.
  5. #5  
    Darn... I have the exact same situation and have been waiting for the release of TCRinger just for that particular feature. It would be well worth the cost of TCRinger just to be able delete ring tones from the radio that I know are not part of the standard set. I understand the risks of removing the "wrong" ones, but I'm willing to take that risk.

    The problem is, Ringo won't/can't/doesn't have a way of fixing this problem. It seems that if you don't remove custom ring tones prior to uninstalling Ringo, they are there for good (even if you reinstall Ringo).

    Guess I'll have to think about hacking out my own version to remove those tones since TCRinger won't and I doubt that Ringo will ever be able to at the pace it's going.

    Thanks anyway!

    --bry
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    Darn... I have the exact same situation and have been waiting for the release of TCRinger just for that particular feature. It would be well worth the cost of TCRinger just to be able delete ring tones from the radio that I know are not part of the standard set. I understand the risks of removing the "wrong" ones, but I'm willing to take that risk.

    Guess I'll have to think about hacking out my own version to remove those tones since TCRinger won't and I doubt that Ringo will ever be able to at the pace it's going.

    Thanks anyway!

    --bry
    I understand where you're coming from; however, with TC Ringer we have to look out for all potential users and shooting themselves in the foot (removing default ringtones) is a bad thing.

    I'm seeing that this is a big issue; it is quite unfortunate that TC Ringer is looking like the bad guy when Ringo screwed up. If I have some spare time, I'll see about creating a separate utility that lets you delete the unwanted ringtones. However, the utility will have maybe 3-5 confirmation screens to verify that you really, really, really want to remove the ringers.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by sgruby


    I understand where you're coming from; however, with TC Ringer we have to look out for all potential users and shooting themselves in the foot (removing default ringtones) is a bad thing.
    Totally understandable.... We have lots of customers who are missing toes, feet, whole legs


    I'm seeing that this is a big issue; it is quite unfortunate that TC Ringer is looking like the bad guy when Ringo screwed up.
    Not at all. It's not TCRingers job to clean up Ringos mess. It was that just from what one of your beta testers stated, it appeared that there would be a way of doing this, so I was disappointed when it didn't (Not in Ringo, just that I still couldn't do it).



    If I have some spare time, I'll see about creating a separate utility that lets you delete the unwanted ringtones. However, the utility will have maybe 3-5 confirmation screens to verify that you really, really, really want to remove the ringers.
    That would be most excellent. I'm still curious about all the "mysteries" of the radio in the 300, so I'll probably still do some hacking and investigation (as I mentioned elsewhere, if Handspring managed to re-put the docs they removed before I got a chance to grab).

    --bry
  8. #8  
    i have a clean copy of the midi_ring_tones database that has helped a few folks with such problems. if you want it, just email me and i will send it along. can't attach it here because the system won't accept a pdb.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by aarons12
    i have a clean copy of the midi_ring_tones database that has helped a few folks with such problems. if you want it, just email me and i will send it along. can't attach it here because the system won't accept a pdb.
    Do you know "how" they are using it? I had tried using the "Saved Midi Ringtones" file to see if that would get Ringo to clean up the mess, but it didn't.
  10. #10  
    not for sure but i would guess you would have to delete it from your unit then replace the clean one in your backup directory and then sync it on or something like that to make sure it is overwritten.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by aarons12
    i have a clean copy of the midi_ring_tones database that has helped a few folks with such problems. if you want it, just email me and i will send it along. can't attach it here because the system won't accept a pdb.
    I don't believe that this is going to work for the Treo 300 as the 300 stores the tones in the radio. Can you email me a copy (you have my email address) so that I can take a look at it?
  12. #12  
    I would guess this is the same file as you would get with a clean install of the Treo300 pose. As you stated, I don't think they are the polyphonic tones that are initially stored on the radio.
  13. #13  
    I just finished an app that all it does is delete ringtones from the Treo 300's radio. If you want a copy, send email to: deleteringers@gruby.com and I'll send it.

    It comes with no warranty. I've tested it on my Treo 300, but there are no guarantees that it will work for anyone else. This is not supported by me, TreoCentral, Mark/Space or anyone else. Use at your own risk.

    If this works for you and you want to show your gratitude, please purchase a copy of TreolTools or WirelessModem from my website.
  14. #14  
    message to bryan - i tried to respond to your email but it was returned undeliverable. it said 'user exceeded quota, try again later'...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    I would guess this is the same file as you would get with a clean install of the Treo300 pose. As you stated, I don't think they are the polyphonic tones that are initially stored on the radio.
    a number of the tones that come with the original treo 300 file are polyphonic. turca, arabesque, for sure
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  16. #16  
    Scott,

    Thanks for providing that tool.

    $8.50 for both the delete utility and TreoTools was quite a bargin today

    I just started playing with TCR, so that is proably a later purchase I'll make.

    --bry
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by sgruby
    I just finished an app that all it does is delete ringtones from the Treo 300's radio. If you want a copy, send email to: deleteringers@gruby.com and I'll send it.

    It comes with no warranty. I've tested it on my Treo 300, but there are no guarantees that it will work for anyone else. This is not supported by me, TreoCentral, Mark/Space or anyone else. Use at your own risk.

    If this works for you and you want to show your gratitude, please purchase a copy of TreolTools or WirelessModem from my website.
    did not realize you wrote treotools. i would not be without it! i kept leaving the darn thing on all night all the time.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  18. #18  
    I think i've gone thru this before and perhaps have a solution. If you have ringo installed, even trial version will do, go to the 3rd setting on the top left. while in the personal ringtones selection, go to menu, and clear radio ringtones. It clears all ringtones on your treo except the default ringtones. As far as I know, default ringtones are permenent. If you edited your System_Midi_Sounds file to include more ringtones or what not, then those files will still be there to be used as alert sounds. But as far as custom ringtones, it should be removed.

    If you have some ringtones still lingering around, make sure non of your Ringers in your prefs are currently selecting any custom ringtone. Set them to any of the default ringers from Treo to Waterfall2.

    If this doesnt help, them maybe its just a quick solution for my treo. Let me know. Good luck guys.
  19. #19  
    I was having a problem with TCRinger and Ringo not functioning properly. After a number of attempts to fix it I decided to start clean. I used the delete ringers program and cleaned out my ringers. Then I did a hard reset and installed TC Ringer and some ringtones. Worked great, so far so good. Then I reinstalled all my backups and my ringers were screwed up again. Ringers selected in TC ringer didn't show up when I went to ringer prefs to set ringtones. Instead a copy ringers showed up that weren't even showing in the radio ringtone list. After a lot of hard resets and re-installations I finally tracked down the problem.

    I had created a couple ringtones from midi files using PalmMidiDesktop. I'm not sure where I got the PDB that I copied them to.... that could be the problem. At any rate, when that ringtone file is on my Treo the ringtones will not work. The two ringtones in the file show up in my phone ringer prefs but they don't work properly and any ringtones I copy to the radio don't show up at all. It doesn't matter that I haven't installed them to the radio... just that the file is on my Treo. As soon as I delete the file from my Treo, the ringers work fine immediately. I have a copy of the file if anyone is curious.
  20. #20  
    I figured out that the problem has nothing to do with the file. Rather the two ringers in the file seem to be the problem. When I transfer them to another file, the problem is still there. However, when I delete the ringers but leave the file, everything works fine. Any suggestions so I don't make this mistake when creating ringers in the future?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions