Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To all those people who have recently purchased TCRinger for their Treo 300's...how about giving us some feedback as to how you like it, and if you previously used Ringo how it compares.

Just as some added info, I got very frustrated at how many times Ringo would reset my Treo. I did get a refund a free newer version, which seems to be a little more stable. So I'm trying to decide whether or not TCRinger would be better and although I intend to try the demo I would also appreciate peoples feedback.

Thanks,
    Originally posted by davetati
    To all those people who have recently purchased TCRinger for their Treo 300's...how about giving us some feedback as to how you like it, and if you previously used Ringo how it compares.
    Simple: if pictures associated with your callers (as well as ringtones) is a killer feature, and you don't want to buy two applications to handle all of it, Ringo is probably a poorer program, but a better value. This assumes that they have either fixed or are going to fix the stability issues that have plagued recent releases.

If it is strictly ringtone assigning you want, not only is TCRinger clearly more stable, it is also much simpler to use. You view your ringtone collections and move them in and out of the Treo radio in a simple two pane view. No additional synching required; no ringtones getting "stuck", system ringtones (which can't be deleted) are clearly marked. And - my input to the beta - when you exit TCRinger and reload it, it remembers what you had on the screen and returns there. I really appreciate that.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    I just downloaded the demo of TCringer yesterday and so far so GOOD.

The biggest positive is the ability to assign ringers to individuals, Ringo didn't allow that.

So far, I've not had any resets with TC, but experienced numerous resets with Ringo.

One negative is that some of the ringtones I was successfully using with Ringo, TC won't allow me to copy to my radio and I get a message "selected ring tone is too lage to be stored in the radio". A couple of my favorite tones are no longer usable.

The design of TC seems much more thought out and I give props to its developers.

Kimberly
    I immediately purchased and installed TCRinger, along with 4 ringtones yesterday. So far, I like it, although I'm having a few issues that I won't discuss here until I've had time to read the manual to see if they're covered.

The quality of the available polyphonic ringtones are very good.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by nchargreed
    I just downloaded the demo of TCringer yesterday and so far so GOOD.

The biggest positive is the ability to assign ringers to individuals, Ringo didn't allow that.

So far, I've not had any resets with TC, but experienced numerous resets with Ringo.

One negative is that some of the ringtones I was successfully using with Ringo, TC won't allow me to copy to my radio and I get a message "selected ring tone is too lage to be stored in the radio". A couple of my favorite tones are no longer usable.

The design of TC seems much more thought out and I give props to its developers.

Kimberly
    Thanks for the kind words about TC Ringer (I wrote it). As noted in the support section about TC Ringer, you may occassionally see resets when previewing and copying tones; this is due to a bug in the Treo 300 that Handspring has acknowledged. There is no workaround for it.

As for the long tones not working in TC Ringer; the documentation that Handspring provided for ringtones on the Treo 300 gives an approximate upper limit on tone size that won't cause problems. TC Ringer enforces this limit so that the Treo does not become destablized.
    Originally posted by sgruby

As for the long tones not working in TC Ringer; the documentation that Handspring provided for ringtones on the Treo 300 gives an approximate upper limit on tone size that won't cause problems. TC Ringer enforces this limit so that the Treo does not become destablized.
    Good thinking. Ringo's instability may be in part due to the fact that its developer's aren't playing by those rules. I can appreciate that you are trying to maintain a stable program.

You may, however, want to publish that bit if information in your manual. Knowing the reasons behind a programs limitations promotes acceptability.

Thanks for the program, I will be registering it soon.

Kimberly
    ...moved to appropriate thread.. sorry (system would not allow me to delete it).
    Last edited by Bryan Nystrom; 01/29/2003 at 01:08 PM.
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    Scott,

I had some "duplicate" ring tones in the radio even after removing Ringo. Now, TCRinger identifies these as locked tones, and I am not able to delete them. For example, the tone "Rocky" is listed in the "Raido" list with a padlock icon, and TCRinger says that it won't delete it because it is a "Default" ringer.

Any way around this? How does TCRinger determine what is a default ringer and which are not?

-- Bry
    What I was trying to say is that you MUST use Ringo to remove the unwanted ringtones first before using TC Ringer. The Treo 300 has 52 or so "slots" for ringers; the first 24 or so are reserved for the system and Handspring says not to touch them. So, if a ringer is in slot 24 or less, it is identified as a Default ringer and can't be touched. The Ringo folks didn't bother to read the Handspring documentation and apparently placed ringers in slots 24 or below.

You'll need to contact the Ringo folks to get them to fix the issue in Ringo so that you can remove ringers it put where it shouldn't.

The reason you can't touch default ringers in TC Ringer is that there is no way to recover them if you accidentally remove them. One of the principles of my development efforts is not to do anything to a user's system that is no reversible; removing the default ringers is NOT reversible.
    Thanks Scott.

I'll have to go dig up the Treo 300 ringtone doc on the Handspring dev site (if they have put them back yet..unless you're willing to email a copy of yours<g>) and see if I can resolve this with a program of my own. Really didn't want to get into this area (ringtones), but it looks like I have very little choice if I want to restore the default ringtone set (a risk I'm willing to take, I guess). I don't think I'm willing to wait for a "Ringo" solution.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Scott,

I've read the doc on ringtones and they mention .mp3s not supported as of now. Kind of funny how they worded it...as if it might be supported in the future. Do you have any info on this?
    Originally posted by AirData
    Scott,

I've read the doc on ringtones and they mention .mp3s not supported as of now. Kind of funny how they worded it...as if it might be supported in the future. Do you have any info on this?
    My guess is that they designed it to support MP3s when the hardware supported it. I don't currently think that the radio hardware supports it. Who knows if they will in the future, but I think that they planned on it. What I gather with all the phone APIs for the Treo is that Handspring is trying to unifying everything for the future in order to make it easier for developers.
    Downloaded the Demo of TC Ringer and a few free tones to try it out. Am I correct in that even though the tones show up in the phone application after copying them over using TC,I cannot assign the new tones to Known or Unknown caller by just changing them in Ringer Preferences? I tried and they load and test, but then default to the previous "tones that come with the Treo" ones.
    Thanks fpr the help.
    Bruce
    As an addendum to my previous post, can i assign the new ringtones to the specific people in my speed dial screens by using the option that comes with the built in phone application rather than TC?

Bruce
    nyy7,

The answer is yes to both your questions.
    I love TCringer; however, I found one small flaw.

If I run the application 'Silver' and scroll down to the TC application, it will force a reset every time. Quite annoying. I had to delete the TC application so I could keep using silver.

Not a big deal.
    Originally posted by silverdragon
    I love TCringer; however, I found one small flaw.

If I run the application 'Silver' and scroll down to the TC application, it will force a reset every time. Quite annoying. I had to delete the TC application so I could keep using silver.

Not a big deal.
    Do you mean SilverScreen? If it causes a soft reset, it sounds like there is a bug in their app and not in TC Ringer. I just ran a basic test with SilverScreen and TC Ringer and they seemed to work fine together.
    I was a frustrated Ringo user. I was looking to pick up a few Ringtones, so I splurged and went for TCRinger w/ a few ringtones. I was a previous Ringo user, so I can draw some comparisons.

So far, I'm real pleased with TCRinger. I ordered the product through the site along with an album (group of chosen ringtones saved as a .pdb). I enjoy the interface over Ringo. I would get confused as to default ringtones and custom ringtones when using Ringo. Plus, I used to get weird oddities with Ringo (soft resets, hang ups, song would hang) -- you get the point. The TC Ringer interface makes it easy to "move" custom rings from a group to the radio. With Ringo, you have to "syncronize" with the radio. However, as I read in another thread, Ringo places some tones in the "top 24" slots. This makes it difficult to remove annoying non-default ringtones; even using Ringo. I actually figured this out when first using TCRinger. The display shows a lock icon to display default or radio ringtones.

If I have any complaint, it's the quality of the ringtones. Some are fantastic -- in particular, Mission Impossible and Rhiannon. Others were awfully loud and not usable. That's just my two cents.

As far as the app goes, it delivers as promised. A great program to install and manage ringtones. The only thing I'll miss from Ringo was the picture ID.

-Chris
    Originally posted by chrism
    If I have any complaint, it's the quality of the ringtones. Some are fantastic -- in particular, Mission Impossible and Rhiannon. Others were awfully loud and not usable. That's just my two cents.
    Obvious question: You are discussing the polyphonic ringtones (the ones in pink), not all of the ringtones available, right? The blue, monophonic tones do not sound good on the Treo. As to loudness, the tones are much louder with the Treo open than they are when it's closed, so many of the ones that are hard to listen to in previewmode sound fine when the phone rings.

I wrote about 20 of the tones up there (including Rhiannon - thanks!) . My current favorite (theme from Shaft) is unlistenable in preview, but very cool when the phone rings.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    i'll say the thanks for mission impossible, and also note that

a) you can turn the volume down on the ringtones which might help if it doesn't make it too low. i agree some of them are loud, and i made many of them. and peter is correct, some just sound that loud with the cover open.

b) you can use anvil studio to lower the volume on a given midi file if you are really inclined

also, check out more of them. there are some that are really neat and not as loud.

and by the way, chris, you were the one who asked about custom ringtones. that's actually another problem. what if you paid for a custom tone and didn't like it...
    Last edited by aarons12; 01/29/2003 at 09:12 PM.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by pcampbell

I wrote about 20 of the tones up there (including Rhiannon - thanks!) . My current favorite (theme from Shaft) is unlistenable in preview, but very cool when the phone rings.
    i think i sent a total of 115 to marcus. i like whole bunches of them. believe it or not i carry most of them and some of yours (peter) on my treo and switch often.

some of my favorites are the herb alpert/tijuana brass ones which ring great, the monty python theme (liberty march), secret agent, and believe it or not, tom jones 'its not unusual' which comes across great (the opening brass is what i used). disney's electrical parade and star wars cantina too... and of course, the peanuts theme (linus and lucy)
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast