Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by pcampbell
    "Peter Campbell" is just an alias. I am Stevie Nicks. ;-)
    stevie nicks, krazy kat, what the heck. its all the same to us
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    "Peter Campbell" is just an alias. I am Stevie Nicks. ;-)
    Wow! I AM impressed. That explains it then. Thanks. (Good job)
    couldn't you tell? i got it right away. stevie has an 'e' in it, peter has an 'e' in it. nicks has a 'c', campbell has a 'c'... it was obvious to me, holmes...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Is the fix for the private number assign ringtones posted yet?

Mike
    Originally posted by Ancient_One
    I have noticed the ever incrasing numbers of polyphonic tones for the Treo 300.

My question is:

Can you still use a polyphonic tone on a Treo 270 even though the tone will not sound the same due to the Treo 270 not being a polyphonic capable phone.

Stupid question I know but just wanted to find out.

Sorry, the tones will either not play or will sound like beeps or screeching if I recall correctly.

<snip>

I'm not sure if the preview at the TC ringtone web page cuts off the tones, as the TC Ringer preview does, after 15 seconds.
    That's a good question. Are the previews on the TC Ringtone web page the actual ring tones or, are they a snipit of the tone? YMCA might be a good example. Is that the tone or is it cut off?
    Originally posted by MikeRadio

Will the update have a new version nmber? (So I know when it is there to redownload)

Mike
    It will be version 1.0.3
    they are previews of specific length, not the whole tone in most cases unless its a short tone
    Originally posted by aarons12
    they are previews of specific length, not the whole tone in most cases unless its a short tone
    Any particular reason for that? Just worried about people figuring out what the JavaScript is doing, downloading the MIDI files, and making them into ringtones themselves?

In any case, the web page should really mention that most of the ringtone previews are cut off and looped at an arbitrary point, and that the real McCoys are not that way, so people don't judge them unfairly.
    oops. does that explain your remark about the loops?? i did ringtones, not program writing so i don't know why they are cut off. presumably scott had a reason like saving time with just a preview...

i don't think they have real serious fears about folks making their own, just a realization that there are no fortunes to be made. they did not object when i said i would still leave my 'groups' for sale at other sites even after tcringer went up for sale with the tones available as singles.

that is one of the things about the web. in an awful lot of cases, you can decide to put some effort in yourself and make your own, or you can start with a freeware or shareware program (of any type, not just ringtones) and put lesser effort in but pay something, or you can go the whole way and pay more... whatever model you prefer

the only thing i think they are trying to protect themselves against is maybe folks just taking the ringtones off the site. also they are serious about paying BMI and ASCAP for each download to stay on the correct side of copyright laws.
    Last edited by aarons12; 01/31/2003 at 07:37 AM.
    Originally posted by sgruby

It will be version 1.0.3
    Great... Looking forward to downloading it when marcus puts it up so I can start using the program!

Mike
    oops. does that explain your remark about the loops?? i did ringtones, not program writing so i don't know why they are cut off. presumably scott had a reason like saving time with just a preview...

i don't think they have real serious fears about folks making their own, just a realization that there are no fortunes to be made. they did not object when i said i would still leave my 'groups' for sale at other sites even after tcringer went up for sale with the tones available as singles.

that is one of the things about the web. in an awful lot of cases, you can decide to put some effort in yourself and make your own, or you can start with a freeware or shareware program (of any type, not just ringtones) and put lesser effort in but pay something, or you can go the whole way and pay more... whatever model you prefer

the only thing i think they are trying to protect themselves against is maybe folks just taking the ringtones off the site. also they are serious about paying BMI and ASCAP for each download to stay on the correct side of copyright laws.
    I think if I am going to pay money for tones, I would like to hear what I am paying for (i.e. the entire tone). Is that unreasonable? The flip side is; if I don't like the entire tone after I buy it, can I return it for credit? (probably not)?
    i think its all experimental. personally i can't understand buying one tone at a time at their prices when other places sell them in groups. but a lot of folks on here said they like the 'roll your own' model a lot... personally i now have about a hundred tones on my phone and change them often as well as showing them off to friends.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I noticed someone else posted this, but didn't really get an answer. Is there any way to use the new downloaded tones as default tones (in the Ringer Preference, like Known Caller Tones)? Everytime I assign a tone, it goes back to "treo."

Thanks
    Jeff
    you need to be using ringo or tcringer to change default tones
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless

In any case, the web page should really mention that most of the ringtone previews are cut off and looped at an arbitrary point, and that the real McCoys are not that way, so people don't judge them unfairly.
    The previews on the website is the complete version of the ringtone. However, when you preview it using TC Ringer only the first 15 seconds are played.

TC Ringer 1.0.3 will be posted shortly.

Thanks,

Marcus
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    you need to be using ringo or tcringer to change default tones
    I am using TC Ringer. When I change "Known Caller Tone" to one on the new tones, it changes back to the built in "treo" tone.
    Jeff
    Here's an annoying problem: I have a friend for whom I have three phone numbers (home, cell, work). I assigned him an individual ringtone, however, if he calls me on either of the two numbers that are not the FIRST in his record, the default ringtone plays instead of "his" ringtone. PLEASE fix this!
    Originally posted by marcus
    The previews on the website is the complete version of the ringtone. However, when you preview it using TC Ringer only the first 15 seconds are played.
    Yeah, I was afraid aarons12's explanation for why the loops sound bad might be incorrect...
    i didn't know i explained anything?

just mentioned that i noticed in the tcringer preview they were cut off. personally, if i thought they sounded bad i wouldn't use them, but i do, so that's just my opinion
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast