Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Just downloaded the demo, and I will give it the highest praise possible:

After trying several programs (Ringo amongst them), I had given up entirely on ringtones. This program has made me try again!

Great job, Scott. I'm diggin' it so far.
    Originally posted by chrism
    If I have any complaint, it's the quality of the ringtones. Some are fantastic -- in particular, Mission Impossible and Rhiannon. Others were awfully loud and not usable. That's just my two cents.
    I haven't tried installing TC Ringer yet, but I listened to lots of the ringtones with the web preview, and my beef with them is that many are looped at extremely non-musical locations. It appears that most of the tones were made by people without musical talent, and as a musician, I find them hard to listen to. I know the maximum ringtone size limits one's options for appropriate loop locations, but there were many places where it seemed like a little editing could have greatly improved the sound of the loop transition, despite the size limit.
    OK, OK, I broke down and bought it.

One thing I would like to see: Random ringtones for an individual.

I have a few friends for which more than one tune is "appropriate", and I would like a random tune to play for that person. However, I don't want those tunes playing randomly for someone else.

- Joe
    Hey Dan,

Can you send some of those ring tones my way mate.

Would love to take a look at what you have.

Eric.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

Originally posted by Ancient_One
    Hey Dan,

Can you send some of those ring tones my way mate.

Would love to take a look at what you have.

Eric.
    Eh? I don't see another Dan posting in the thread, so I assume you're talking to me.

The ringtones I was talking about are the ones at http://www.treocentral.com/content/Ringtones/index.htm.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I haven't tried installing TC Ringer yet, but I listened to lots of the ringtones with the web preview, and my beef with them is that many are looped at extremely non-musical locations. It appears that most of the tones were made by people without musical talent, and as a musician, I find them hard to listen to. I know the maximum ringtone size limits one's options for appropriate loop locations, but there were many places where it seemed like a little editing could have greatly improved the sound of the loop transition, despite the size limit.
    well, that's what makes a horse-race i guess. music is not a science, its an art and a matter of opinion and taste... but then i guess you recognize musical talent when you see it, since you are a musician, and probably the world's only one...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    well, that's what makes a horse-race i guess. music is not a science, its an art and a matter of opinion and taste...
    Right, but not much art seemed to be used in the looping of many of the ringtones -- it seemed like they were just looped wherever the memory limit point was, regardless of what that sounded like.

but then i guess you recognize musical talent when you see it, since you are a musician, and probably the world's only one...
    Eh?
    I talked to Marcus and he said he is looking into this.. was wondering if it is affecting anyone else as well....

TC Ringer does not seem to acknowledge Private numbers that you set individual ringtones to, or ones that are part of a group.

It ignores the # and rings with the default ring.

I have lots of numbers set as private due to issues with sharing my Outlook at work, and this is making TC Ringer not work for me.

The only thing I can do is maunally assign ringtones to Speed Dial numbers which seem to override all other settings.. But can not use the TC Ringer random feature...

I can see, if the treo is set in security to mask or hide private numbers that it DOES ignore them like it does.. makes sence for security reason... However, my Treo is not set to mask or hide those numbers... and am hoping they fix it so it the security doesn't have them masked or hidden that you will be able to assign ringtones as normal.

TreoPictureCallerID shows pictures regardless of if the numbers are private.

Otherwise (with the exception of a stray ringtone occasionally in the radio) it is a GREAT Program!

If this one issue is fixed I will be very happy!

Mike
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    I talked to Marcus and he said he is looking into this.. was wondering if it is affecting anyone else as well....

TC Ringer does not seem to acknowledge Private numbers that you set individual ringtones to, or ones that are part of a group.

It ignores the # and rings with the default ring.

I have lots of numbers set as private due to issues with sharing my Outlook at work, and this is making TC Ringer not work for me.

The only thing I can do is maunally assign ringtones to Speed Dial numbers which seem to override all other settings.. But can not use the TC Ringer random feature...

I can see, if the treo is set in security to mask or hide private numbers that it DOES ignore them like it does.. makes sence for security reason... However, my Treo is not set to mask or hide those numbers... and am hoping they fix it so it the security doesn't have them masked or hidden that you will be able to assign ringtones as normal.

TreoPictureCallerID shows pictures regardless of if the numbers are private.

Otherwise (with the exception of a stray ringtone occasionally in the radio) it is a GREAT Program!

If this one issue is fixed I will be very happy!

Mike
    I just sent Marcus a version of TC Ringer that fixes this; hopefully he'll post it soon.
    Originally posted by sgruby

I just sent Marcus a version of TC Ringer that fixes this; hopefully he'll post it soon.
    Very cool... Besies that issue, I am enjoying the program immensely. the tones are all nice and loud.

Mike
    Originally posted by sgruby

Will the update have a new version nmber? (So I know when it is there to redownload)

Mike
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    Mike
    I also believe that I have fixed this issue. It really isn't a "stray" ringtone; when you preview a tone, it is copied to the last slot in the radio. When the tone stops, the ringtone is supposed to be deleted. I guess there were some issues with this. (TC Ringer never showed it, but the Ringer Preferences and Speed Dial did.)
    Scott,

Is there any way to remove a PDB file from the Treo with TC Ringer? A quick perusal of the manual did not show one. I am not sure (short of an "explorer"-like program) how you would get rid of one.

- Joe
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    Scott,

Is there any way to remove a PDB file from the Treo with TC Ringer? A quick perusal of the manual did not show one. I am not sure (short of an "explorer"-like program) how you would get rid of one.

- Joe
    Nope. However, if you get my free DBUtil program from: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/>, you can remove individual PDBs from your device.
    Originally posted by pcampbell

<snip>

I wrote about 20 of the tones up there (including Rhiannon - thanks!) .

<snip>
    That's funny, I thought Rhiannon was written by Stevie Nicks. Still sounds good irrespective of who wrote it.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Right, but not much art seemed to be used in the looping of many of the ringtones -- it seemed like they were just looped wherever the memory limit point was, regardless of what that sounded like.

Eh?
    The ringtones I made (only 20 or so of them) were edited for size. I cropped in such a way that looping should sound okay (if I took it from a four stanza verse, I took all four stanzas, I didn't chop it a third of the way). But they all run 20 to 35 seconds (but stay well under the 10k limit), which is long enough that, if you haven't answered the phone, well, you aren't very polite, are you? :-).

I'm not sure if the preview at the TC ringtone web page cuts off the tones, as the TC Ringer preview does, after 15 seconds.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    I have noticed the ever incrasing numbers of polyphonic tones for the Treo 300.

My question is:

Can you still use a polyphonic tone on a Treo 270 even though the tone will not sound the same due to the Treo 270 not being a polyphonic capable phone.

Stupid question I know but just wanted to find out.

Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

Originally posted by pcampbell

The ringtones I made (only 20 or so of them) were edited for size. I cropped in such a way that looping should sound okay (if I took it from a four stanza verse, I took all four stanzas, I didn't chop it a third of the way). But they all run 20 to 35 seconds (but stay well under the 10k limit), which is long enough that, if you haven't answered the phone, well, you aren't very polite, are you? :-).

I'm not sure if the preview at the TC ringtone web page cuts off the tones, as the TC Ringer preview does, after 15 seconds.
    as scott was working on TCRinger and got specs from handspring, mine were reduced to shorter lengths than that. scott claimed that the only soft reset he could reliably reproduce was 'lambada' which was well below the 10 k limit but still was over 25 seconds long. so we tried to cut them down further to limit the number of resets.

then he found out that the resets are a treo problem and will never go away completely, so they just went with what they had. i still think that ringtones don't need to be that long. i agree with peter. if i haven't answered in 15-20 seconds, i'm probably not there or don't want to answer.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by Maniac8888

That's funny, I thought Rhiannon was written by Stevie Nicks. Still sounds good irrespective of who wrote it.
    yes, i think 'edit' or 'produced' would be more accurate... i did over 100 of the ones at the site, but lord knows i could not have written even the simplest tone there. best i can claim was some success at finding what i thought was the best midi file and cutting and adjusting.
    "Peter Campbell" is just an alias. I am Stevie Nicks. ;-)
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast