1.    #1  
    Hi. I am not experienced in cell phone use so I dont know this. I have weekend and evening minutes free. I dont want to use up the very few minutes I have available that are not during these hours. But I like to make some calls, so I was thinking of a calling card. My question is this: If I use my calling card on my treo 300 during the day, will it eat up my minutes? Or will it only eat up my calling card minutes?
    It is my understanding that you are charged for your minutes whenever you use the phone. You are paying to use the airtime. A calling card is a mute issue with a cell phone. If you need more minutes change plans.
    Yep. If you use your cellphone, every minute it is in use is deducted from your monthly plan. Whether you call next door or Zanzibar. That's because you're still making use of the cell company's resources -- its cell towers, its mobile switching station, etc.

Now, if you're making international calls, using a calling card can save you the high international rates that are the default on a cell plan (or a landline plan, for that matter). My friend does this to call Mexico. The minutes are still deducted from his monthly cell plan, but he only pays 10-20 cents a minute for the international call on his prepaid calling card to the 1-800 number, rather than the very high rate that Sprint or AT&T or whatever would charge him if he just dialed up the Mexico number from his cell phone.

Most plans these days include free domestic long distance, but if you happen to be on a plan that does not, it also might be advantageous to use a prepaid calling card to make long distance calls. Each minute is still deducted from your plan, but there's no extra charge for long distance.
    Thunderbroom:

It is my understanding that you are charged for your minutes whenever you use the phone. You are paying to use the airtime. A calling card is a mute issue with a cell phone. If you need more minutes change plans.
    OK... I am going to be such an enormous pain in the rear, but I've seen the word "mute" as used incorrectly as in your post tons of times and itís driving me nuts. The correct term is "moot" and defines a pointless line of discussion or debate for no purpose. I am usually not a huge nudge on stuff like this, so I apologize for any feathers I may ruffle.

With best intentions,

Eric

Last edited by Bereuter; 01/29/2003 at 01:24 PM.