1.    #1  
    Any way to make the volume louder when on speaker with the Treo 300. I have a dash mount in my truck but can hardly hear the other party when the vehicle is running.

Ron Vermillion
    Same way you increase volume regularly...the jog dial increases and decreases volume. Unfortunately, in a car/truck, I'm not sure it's really loud enough. I would switch to a headset/earbud to get reasonable volume.
    sooner or later i'm sure someone will make a plug-in speaker that will solve that issue. meantime i wonder if a cassette adapter like those used to play a portable cd player through the car radio would work? not sure if it has the right connector...

i'm spoiled by onstar calling, so i don't use the treo in the car
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  4.    #4  
    thanks folks.

Yep, I know that you can jog the volume up and down with the switch on the side, but I'm about half deaf and drive a truck so I probably need more volume than the average person. Turned all the way up I have to use way too much concentration to listen when I'm driving down the road.

I had used a earbud headset before with another phone and kept getting tangled up in the wire - also with the headset plugged in that phone didn't ring at the phone any more, only through the headset - so you had to wear the headset all the time to hear the phone ring. I also had one of the little gizmos with that other phone that made it talk through the radio. That was neat but you had to either start flipping from CD to FM to FM1 to the button you programmed for that FM frequency to answer the phone.

I'm considering one of the Free Speak Bluetooth headsets, but I hear that there are some folks having problems with them related to poor sound quality. There is another thread about them around somewhere.

For me - driving - it would be really neat to amp that little Treo up a bit. Does anyone know of anything like a CB auxillary speaker that would work with the Treo ?

Thanks

Ron (suffers from CHS) Vermillion
    I can't comment on the FreeSpeak (other than to say I've read the same things you have about voice quality, etc.), but there are several earbuds/boom mike retractables out there. Jabra makes a couple (one that is a boom mike that retracts back into it's little case when not using), as well as goldlantern (earbud that retracts back...I use this one, like it better than the boom mike...it's called the "Freeme2 Mobile Retractable", choose the Standard 2.5mm Universal 4 pole at http://www.goldlantern.com/freemmobreth.html).

As far as ringing is concerned, the Treo does not ring in the earbud at all, whether you have it plugged in or not. It always rings through the phone (though if you have the lid opens, the volume of the ringer is turned down automatically).

So, I would go ahead and get a headset of some kind, wireless or retractable. Or, wait a few months...there are at least a half dozen new Bluetooth headsets coming out that should be improved over the FreeSpeak.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Brookstone sells a hands free unit that clips to the headrest of your car or tuck. It connects thru the earjack with a earphone connector adapter that works with the Treo. The unit amplifies the sound thru an enclosed speaker. It also has a integrated boom mike. The system works well and is less than $100.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Gary01 - I want one of everythihg that Brookstone has anyway. headed to the mall tonight.

1-30-03 Update:
    I went to Brookstone and looked at the gadget. It is designed to mount by clipping onto the two vertical steel posts that hold up your adjustabel head rest. Unfortunately my pickup truck seats don't work that wayl; but, I was considering rigging it to the top of the seat someway. When I tried it there in the store it wasn't compatable with the Treo 300. I plugged it in and dialed a number and at the first ring the Treo would hang up the phone. We put new AAA batteries in the handsfree gizmo and it did the same thing. I decided to pass. Still looking for an auxillary speaker or acceptable alternate.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Vermillion; 01/30/2003 at 02:51 PM.
  8.    #8  
    bump