How long do you think Sprint will be offering their unlimited Vision plans for 10 extra bucks a month?
    With all these cool new vision phone coming out, the only thing that's holding me back from waiting for them is the fear that the unlimited Vision plan will be terminated in March.
    well, if you sign up, you get it for 'the length of the contract' which they told me was a year. they would not give me 2 years for some strange reason
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    If you sign-up for 1 year you can then upgrade to 2 years. I did and my credit had nothing to do with it. Also when you upgrade you will get free unlimited pcs to pcs minutes. That means you can call any sprint phone and sprint will not deduct your calling time from your minutes. There is no sign or good reason for sprint to change the unlimited internet plan right now, so don't be parinoid.
    If you sign-up for 1 year you can then upgrade to 2 years. I did and my credit had nothing to do with it. Also when you upgrade you will get free unlimited pcs to pcs minutes. That means you can call any sprint phone and sprint will not deduct your calling time from your minutes. There is no sign or good reason for sprint to change the unlimited internet plan right now, so don't be paranoid.
    Doesn't matter the length of your contract. Even after your initial contract is up Sprint will honor the terms of your expired contract indefinitely. However, if you call to make any changes to it after your year is up, you will be subject to new terms.

So free vision is yours until you want to add a new feature or add or decrease minutes.
    Remember that most vision customers are locked into proprietary software that is tightly controlled by Sprint. Sprint makes additional money off these customers by selling them ringers, games, etc. Plus many of them (and us) pay $60/year for crippled email service that a PC user could get for free to $10 max/year.

IMO it's not likely that Sprint will discontinue this business model, though they might get wise and start charging new PDA phone users the same rates as modem users, heh.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by markshelby
    Remember that most vision customers are locked into proprietary software that is tightly controlled by Sprint. Sprint makes additional money off these customers by selling them ringers, games, etc. Plus many of them (and us) pay $60/year for crippled email service that a PC user could get for free to $10 max/year.

IMO it's not likely that Sprint will discontinue this business model, though they might get wise and start charging new PDA phone users the same rates as modem users, heh.
    For the PDA phones (treo, I300/330, etc..) there is no proprietary software controlled by sprint. It's all palm (or pocket PC) software that's obtained out in the real world.

As for charging same rates as modem users.. why? There is no way to do as much activity on a PDA as you could on a laptop or home PC. I don't see what there is to "GET WISE" to.
    Has anything been published that makes March a date to watch? Thanks.

Originally posted by ltso
    How long do you think Sprint will be offering their unlimited Vision plans for 10 extra bucks a month?
    With all these cool new vision phone coming out, the only thing that's holding me back from waiting for them is the fear that the unlimited Vision plan will be terminated in March.
    Originally posted by njchris
    There is no way to do as much activity on a PDA as you could on a laptop or home PC. I don't see what there is to "GET WISE" to.
    Unless one was using also their pda as a wireless modem for their laptop.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Originally posted by copernicus
    Has anything been published that makes March a date to watch? Thanks.
    The CTIA show is March 17-19 - it's the biggest cell phone show of the year.

Thanks,
    Peter
    I was speaking to a Sprint Rep the other day and he said Sprint might end it unlimited data plans (i.e. Vision) once they roll out their VoIP (Voice over IP) push talk service. Most likely that would occur once Sprint completes its 1xEvDV infrastructure which will allow true 3G data packet speeds (3-5 Mbps). Interestingly 1xEvDV is not the normal stepped upgrade of 1xRTT. CDMA2000 is supposed to be deployed in three phases. The first, 1xRTT, supports up to 144 Kbps packet data speeds. The second release of 1x, 1xEV-DO, supports data rates up to 2.4 Mbps. The third, 1xEV-DV, supports circuit and packet data rates up to 3-5 Mbps. For some reason, Sprint has decided to skip all the way to the third phase!? Of course this is all conjecture and way out in the future...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/11/2003 at 02:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I have to believe that SprintPCS needs to return to profitability for some time before they go and upgrade to the 1xEV-DV switches. Of course, VoIP is the only logical progression for any telco and it would be very welcome as it would allow for true 3G and end the whole "data or voice but not both" problem. I'm not looking for any change of this magnitude until probably 2006. Until then, I'm fairly certain that Sprint's unlimited data plans will stay in place. I'm not sure about the $10 extra over your current plan. My guess is that they will force you into one of the new Vision plans, but they are completely reasonable IMHO.
    I think what will most likely will happen is that vioce may become "unlimited" and data will become limited. This is what many telcom prognosticators believe at least. 1xEvDV (DV obviously for data and voice) would be an incredible progression from 1xRTT. However, I'm not certain if it will be able to offer dual data and voice simutaneously as possible on WCDMA networks? Anyone know anything about this?

Furthermore, I think 2006 may be a little too far off for 1xEvDV. Many GSM providers are already beginning to offer EDGE handsets with UMITS on the horizon as well. CDMA providers will have to keep pace if they want to maitain their position...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Hope you're right about the timing. You're probably also right baout the unlinited voice but metered data (Which would really suck) since data is rapidly becomming the preferred method of communication.

Who's barking about EDGE handsets ?
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Most likely that would occur once Sprint completes its 1xEvDV infrastructure which will allow true 3G data packet speeds (3-5 Mbps). Interestingly 1xEvDV is not the normal stepped upgrade of 1xRTT. CDMA2000 is supposed to be deployed in three phases. The first, 1xRTT, supports up to 144 Kbps packet data speeds. The second release of 1x, 1xEV-DO, supports data rates up to 2.4 Mbps. The third, 1xEV-DV, supports circuit and packet data rates up to 3-5 Mbps. For some reason, Sprint has decided to skip all the way to the third phase!?
    My understanding, perhaps mistaken, is that with voice-enabled 1xEvDO devices, voice is carried over traditional CDMA, so the improvements brought by CDMA2000 1xRTT are not available. This could certainly be a reason to skip 1xEvDO and go straight to 1xEvDV.
    Well I guess Sprint is going to start their "push to talk" service earlier than expected! However, I don't think it has anything to do with the next generation 1xEvDV service. News.com talks about the announcement in a recent article. Apparently the service will allow cdma users to access the same push to talk functionality found on Nextel phones. I'm not certain, but this doesn't sound like VoIP to me? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?
    well, take this for what it's worth..guess we'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...threadid=98959
    THAT IS AWEFUL NEWS!!! ARHHH If that is indeed true then it would suck hardcore!! (pardon my french). I cut and paste the new rate plans for sprint from the thread below:

New Plans for Sunday

$20 20/20 no pcs2pcs, $10 vision
    $35 300/1000 no pcs2pcs, $10 vision
    $45 500/unlim, pcs2pcs $5, $10 vision
    $55 600/unlim, pcs2pcs $5, $10 vision
    $65 800/unlim, pcs2pcs $5, $10 vision
    $80 100/unlim, pcs2pcs $5, $10 vision
    $100 2000/unlim vision inc, free add a phone, $5 pcs2pcs
    $115 2500/unlim vision inc, free add a phone, $5 pcs2pcs
    $125 3500, vision inc, free add a phone, $5 pcs2pcs
    $150 4500, vision inc, free add a phone, $5 pcs2pcs
    hmm, just noticed what seems to be new plans on sprint's site....

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/NVP-Online/planSelector.html
    thanks mo-bile, i just started a new thread here about the new rates.