1.    #1  
    Sorry to keep posting... But I'm also wondering if anyone has any games suggestions for the Treo 300. I'd love a cool adventure game, and possibly the expert Backgammon or cards games. Just don't want to drop the dough before I know they're good. Thanks,

Rob
    Good games? Try Billiards, Aldon's Crossing, Scrabble, VRally, Pinball.
    Most Palm OS games are shareware, meaning you can "try before you buy" as the saying goes. The "free" period is usually 14 or 30 days, and then some kind of roadblock is put in place so you need to register before you can play again.

I had the hardest time convincing a newbie friend that it was okay to use shareware games for free for the designated free period. She had a moral problem with using software without paying for it -- even if it was only for evaluation purposes. She winds up buying all these cruddy games without trying them first, because she thinks it's cheating to try before she buys.

I say, that's the point of shareware.

That said ... in the world of Palm OS development (where regular folks are creating neato programs out of love for the platform), it's really really really really really really REALLY important to pay after the eval period. Lest people stop creating shareware. The good thing is, Palm OS games are usually cheap.

On a different note ... have you tried any of Astraware's games? They rock!

http://www.astraware.com/palm/

Ever hear of Bejeweled? Addictive as crack.
    I'm nowhere near the gamer that other people here are. The only two on my Treo are Bubblet and Yahtzee.
    Hmm, surprising this thread wasn't moved out of the Treo 300 board to General Software -- it's even more off-topic than usual. Even if the author were only interested in color games (which wasn't stated), it would still be applicable to 270 users. Actually, ever since the new push was made for posting to the appropriate board rather than posting everything to "Sprint Treo 300", I've thought on occasion that it'd be handy to have a board called "Color Treos" or something, where anything specific to the color units, whether hardware (the screens themselves) or software, would be fair game.

Originally posted by Bbonnn
    Ever hear of Bejeweled? Addictive as crack.
    I guess I'm one of the rare folks that doesn't find Bejeweled compelling at all. What I don't like about it compared to other Tetris-inspired games is that the entire playfield is always filled -- every time you clear blocks out, more come from above and take their place. You never seem to get anywhere, and clearing the jewels feels like a chore rather than a pleasure.

But I guess I can see how the never-ending nature of the game would be addictive to some.

For me, the most addictive Palm OS game is Rally 1000, an implementation of the "Milles Bournes" card game. I do think one of the things that helps it be addictive is that after each game is over, another one starts immediately, without you being asked. It's hard to resist the temptation to just keep playing. Unlike Bejewled, however, there are also multiple levels of short-term goals to work for, so the ongoing play is much more compelling (for me, at least).

Another of my favorite games for the Treo is MineHunt, which comes in the "Add-on" subdirectory under the master Treo 300 directory on your hard drive.

If you're playing a game in a situation where you can apply more concentration than is necessary for the above games, I can highly recommend Frobnitz, but of course it's not a game itself -- it's just a text adventure game interpreter.

Then of course the problem becomes selecting games for it. Personally, I have a bunch of Infocom games installed, which I can do legally because I own Apple ][ versions of the games. It's still possible to buy copies of some of the Infocom games for the PC, and then you can convert them into PDB format.

If you don't want to buy the games, Infocom has released the Zork series for free, and you can also grab a free copy of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", as explained on this page.

You can also download lots of free games from the Interactive Fiction Archive, but the quality is of course more variable than Infocom's offerings. Some great ones if you're an MST3K fan are the "MSTed" versions of "A Fable", "Detective", and "The Incredible Erotic Adventures of Stiffy Makane". The authors of the MSTed versions took some really really badly-written text adventures (like, by precocious 12-year-olds) and inserted semi-interactive quips by the MST3K crew, as well as non-interactive "host segments". Very amusing stuff.
    Originally posted by convbcuda
    Monopoly is pretty cool.

http://www.visorvillage.com/articles...view-Pass.html
    I found hard to play well, since you can't zoom in to see the details on particular properties. It'd be okay for a regular Monopoly player who has the board and various rent rates and so forth memorized, but it's not good for an occasional player.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I found hard to play well, since you can't zoom in to see the details on particular properties. It'd be okay for a regular Monopoly player who has the board and various rent rates and so forth memorized, but it's not good for an occasional player.
    No, you can't make out the names of properties on the main board screen, and you don't have the pysical "deeds" to the properties, but in the menus of Monopoly you can review who owns each property, which are not owned, what the cost is, the mortgage value, how many houses, hotels, net worth of each player, and all kinds of details that you would have a hard time tracking with the board game. There are also timed auction options, which can be fun also. I play it all the time with my two little girls (10 and 7) and it has the feel of the real game and is great for when there is some down time since the game is automatically saved when you exit.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    I think that it's very appropriate to have a Treo 300 games thread going... mainly because there's no graffiti area on the 300. For instance, I downloaded Race Fever and it looks like a million bucks, but you can't control it at all without the graffiti area.

My favs are Sol Free and YahDice... both free... and both... uh... very playable while you have time on your hands (sitting upon the throne.)
    Originally posted by Redbeard25
    I think that it's very appropriate to have a Treo 300 games thread going... mainly because there's no graffiti area on the 300. For instance, I downloaded Race Fever and it looks like a million bucks, but you can't control it at all without the graffiti area.
    Yeah, but I'm sure the number of games out there that don't work without graffiti is miniscule (most use either the hard buttons or screen taps for control), and that wasn't the focus of the original poster's question.

A very good puzzle game I've discovered since my last post is Beiks' Tip-Tap. I didn't really understand how to play properly on my first try (instructions for many of Beiks' games are insufficient), but starting with the second time I got the strategies. This one's a keeper.

Beiks also has a pretty dead-on port of the Apple ][ game Karateka. It's an amazingly true port (making me think they're using 6502 emulation), but unfortunately you can't really play the game properly with two-finger controls. You can beat the initial enemies reachable in the demo version with this limited dexterity, but I remember that many of the later enemies require carefully coordinated timing of stepping and punching/kicking, and really need five fingers on a full-size QWERTY keyboard (the left three shifting back and forth a row to go from punching to kicking).

Another couple of cute puzzle games from Beiks are Clickomania and FreeWalk. FreeWalk really needs a button you can press to temporarily speed up the characters' walking, though.

Another good puzzle game is Pipe Crazy, an enhanced version of old LucasArts game Pipe Dream. (Simpler clones of the original are also available -- Hot Pipes and Pipeline Perils -- but aren't as interesting or as fun.)