1.    #1  
    Omniremote

Has anyone tried "OmniRemote" on their Treo 300?

Universai IR Remote? $24.95

might be fun....I have not used the IR for anything else yet...
    I tried a few different ones. The range was pretty lousy. That's apparently a Treo limitation.
    Which makes it pretty useless. My other Handspring products has similar limitations (Visor, Edge). It just seems Handspring uses poor quality IR components.
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Which makes it pretty useless. My other Handspring products has similar limitations (Visor, Edge). It just seems Handspring uses poor quality IR components.
    The "poor" range is intentional. You wouldn't want to be at an expo or mall or something trying to beam something to your friend right next to you and have a dozen other palms recieve your information too would you?

D.
    I had a Samsung I300 with a passive matrix screen that you had to be a just the right angle to see. I guess that was a security feature also, preventing people from reading over your shoulder!
    I had a Samsung I300 with a passive matrix screen that you had to be a just the right angle to see. I guess that was a security feature also, preventing people from reading over your shoulder!
    Um, no. That's neither a bug or feature. That's a limitation of the technology used in the device.

Screen technology is still evolving, newer screens are yielding better viewing angles and readibility in a wider variety of ambient light scenarios.

The difference is, today you can spec an IR blaster powerful enough to easily handle the distance of a football field. Obviously handspring chose not to.

Obviously price is a consideration as well, why would a manufacturer choose high-end IR, and screen parts when the "standard" parts satisfy 99% of the market 99% of the time?

In that scenario, the only thing using higher end parts yields is a higher price for a majority of users who won't appreciate the difference anyway.

Best,
    D.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    So you take something COMPLETELY different and apply it to his answer?

There is no NEED to have an IR that shoots very far. Other than this remote application.. (which I was able to turn on and off my stereo from about 4-5 feet away, but my tv I had to be right next to it), why would they need to design it to work from a distance?
    Actually, I DO use my treo (270) and OmniRemote. The range is less than it was with my old Visor, but it still beams the 6 - 8 feet to my TV and stereo. It is obviously a weaker signal than the Visor one was though, as the alignment need to be more exact, and interference by small objects can be a problem. Still, it beats having to find one of 4 remotes that might be lost. It's also handy when people won't give me the remote.

Still... it sure doesn't have the power of a 'real' remote and, if you were expecting it to have that kind of range, you'd be disapppointed.

....but I like it ;-). P.S. Get the trial version and see if you can live with it.