1.    #1  
    First of all I would like to thank all the folks that have answered my questions. I'm a convert to Palm from Windows CE and am really learning to love the Treo 300. I feel like a little kid that finally got a small little bag to hold all the marbles.

So anyway - the latest "opportunity" goes like this - I would appreciate any and all suggestions (well not THAT suggestion) that you think might help.

The Treo 300 lives in the charging / syncing cradle. Everything works fine. I occasionally sync it by pushing the button on the cradle and everything syncs fine. I have Inbox to Go and Documents to Go and all that works fine. Except - that on some occasions it just won't connect. I get the " connection to your computer isn't working check your setup and try again" (not the exact words). When I click setup under local it says COM1 - uh! nope I'm running off the USB port. The Setup setting has no choice for USB. The LOCAL setting on the computer shows both and I have selected both. Sometimes HotSync logo the red and blue circular arrows shows up in the task bar of the computer and some times it doesnt. (Windows XP Home)

Nothing I do short of rebooting the computer seems to make the connection to the Treo work again. And it will work fine for hours - sync 20 times - work again tomorrow until - something happens and it can't connect once again. I can click or double click on the HotSync Icon (the red and blue circular arrows) and nothing happens.

Clue:

I also have a USB cordless trackball that I loved to use but it would do the same thing - every so often - and not very often it would just quit working leaving me with no mouse and little way of working my way out of programs.

So this entire problem may be with my USB settings (or who knows what0 on my computer rather than the Treo.

Any ideas what would make the USB connection go kaput every so often. I have a USB hub with maybe 4 USB devices in it. A CompatFlash reader (never goes out) a Scanner ( never goes out) the TreoSync cradle and something else that I can't remember what is - and don't want to dig the CPU out tonight to rember.

So OK Treo Sluthes - any clues or ideas...

Thanks in advance...

Ron Vermillion
    New Treoist.
    Originally posted by Ron Vermillion
    First of all I would like to thank all the folks that have answered my questions. I'm a convert to Palm from Windows CE and am really learning to love the Treo 300. I feel like a little kid that finally got a small little bag to hold all the marbles.

So anyway - the latest "opportunity" goes like this - I would appreciate any and all suggestions (well not THAT suggestion) that you think might help.

The Treo 300 lives in the charging / syncing cradle. Everything works fine. I occasionally sync it by pushing the button on the cradle and everything syncs fine. I have Inbox to Go and Documents to Go and all that works fine. Except - that on some occasions it just won't connect. I get the " connection to your computer isn't working check your setup and try again" (not the exact words). When I click setup under local it says COM1 - uh! nope I'm running off the USB port. The Setup setting has no choice for USB. The LOCAL setting on the computer shows both and I have selected both. Sometimes HotSync logo the red and blue circular arrows shows up in the task bar of the computer and some times it doesnt. (Windows XP Home)

Nothing I do short of rebooting the computer seems to make the connection to the Treo work again. And it will work fine for hours - sync 20 times - work again tomorrow until - something happens and it can't connect once again. I can click or double click on the HotSync Icon (the red and blue circular arrows) and nothing happens.

Clue:

I also have a USB cordless trackball that I loved to use but it would do the same thing - every so often - and not very often it would just quit working leaving me with no mouse and little way of working my way out of programs.

So this entire problem may be with my USB settings (or who knows what0 on my computer rather than the Treo.

Any ideas what would make the USB connection go kaput every so often. I have a USB hub with maybe 4 USB devices in it. A CompatFlash reader (never goes out) a Scanner ( never goes out) the TreoSync cradle and something else that I can't remember what is - and don't want to dig the CPU out tonight to rember.

So OK Treo Sluthes - any clues or ideas...

Thanks in advance...

Ron Vermillion
    New Treoist.
    Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the usb connection?

When this does happen occasionally to me, doing the above makes it work again.

Best,
    D.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks - that did make it work again. Now if it can only hold on and keep working. At least I have a fix when it won't sync.

Thanks again,

RON
    I have the exact same problem. Removing and reconnecting the USB plug does not do the trick for me. When I first boot in the morning it works just fine. At the end of the day before I go home, about 50% of the time I cannot connect with the desktop. It is very strange to me. The only solution is to reboot again. It almost seems like it doesn't think the cradle is connected anymore. Any other ideas out there?
  5.    #5  
    The above suggestion was to unplug and replug the USB connector. Actually this doesn't do me any good. I have a powered USB hub and I unplug the power cord wait a few seconds and plug it back in. So far this is working OK but is a pain in the neck to have to do. Still looking for a real fix.

Ron
    I am still having difficulty with loosing the connection with my charging cradle. I actually downloaded a patch from Handspring I believe, but it had no effect. This is really becoming annoying, so any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated to solve this problem.
  7.    #7  
    As it turns out I had a hard drive going bad. Local fix it guy said that with my hard drive thrashing around and being incredibly slow that the USB connections would "time out" - Time will tell if the new drive fixes the USB issue.

Ron Vermillion
    Hi Everyone,

this is my first post here, but I didn't see an answer to this thread so I thought I'd put my two cents in.

I encountered the same problem 2 nights ago when trying to install and sync my Treo 300 via USB with my home PC (it syncs just fine through USB with my work PC). I got the same errors...that the treo couldn't connect or be connected to.

On the Handspring site at the following address...

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...oads_table.jsp

You can get a small application called USB registry utility. I ran this once, it took milliseconds, and my treo synched like a charm...

I take no responsibility for what it does to USB, although I have had NO problems with my USB keyboard and Mouse after using the utility...and hey, its provided by handspring and not sprint. So I trust it. Plus I know someone over at handspring...and where she works... :-)