Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By adam917
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I'm looking to get at least one mobile device from each OS family, which naturally includes PalmOS. Is the Centro the last PalmOS device or are others around? Is the best PalmOS device as far as capabilities go? I'd ideally like either GSM stuff or non-phone hardware like old PDAs. Also, does anyone else notice the physical similarities between the Centro & any or all of the webOS models?
    The Centro is the last Palm PalmOS device. Another company named Acceca makes ruggedized PalmOS/Windows CE handhelds, but you probably aren't interested.

Generally, the Centro is the smallest. It's comparable to the Treo 755p, just smaller. Given its the most recent, it can be considered the best, although it is smaller and features a the jelly-keyboard instead of the Treo one. (it introduced the keyboard, which was used in future models)

For non-phones, I'd say the TX is the "best", although they tend to not be full upgrades. There always seems to be a trade off compared to previous models.
    The best was Palm Treo 650!
    Was really "The Best"!
    The rest... is the rest!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    The best would be the Centro. Although the screen and keyboard leave a bit to desire (both are small), it has, from my experiences, the most stable Palm OS version. It also has the most dbcache w/o needing a custom ROM. Lastly, it is the only Palm device to finally get rid of the stupid white border on the screen, w/o needing hacks. If you want a larger screen and keyboard, the 680 is great, just not the AT&T version (too much bloatware). If you want a handheld, the Lifedrive is probably best, thanks to all the wonderful tools and hacks from Dmitry. The TX is also close, but you have to get an early one w/ a flash ROM chip so you can clean out the ROM for a larger dbcache to enjoy it.
    I had the Centro and it would spontaneously reset a lot... spent lots of time trying to fix it and I failed.
    Oh yea, I had a LifeDrive, and the CF mod is a must.
    It's a good device, it's just that Palm tended to leave behind older models with the small improvements.

Palm's tend to be similar, just small upgrades here and there.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I had the Centro and it would spontaneously reset a lot... spent lots of time trying to fix it and I failed.
    For me, Palm OS was finicky, and if something wasn't right, it will reset w/o warning. Usually the error messages pointed me to what was wrong. Once I flashed the custom ROM, my dbcache was large enough that I'd rarely ever need to flush it (another cause of resets).

Now my TX on the other hand, I feel like if I look at it funny it'll reset, despite all the nice hacks to improve it (bare ROM to boost dbcache, UDMH, etc.). My favorite with the TX is when it does reset, my only error message is "Fatal Exception" whereas the Centro at least said "File: line x."
    Ive had a treo 680, after updating the ROM it turned out to be very reliable.
    The last Palm OS device I had was the Treo 680. I used the crap out of it and it was a great device. Still miss that calendar (But not its Exchange server capabilities). The 650 felt better, like a tank, I loved the little antenna stub
    If I was on the market for a PalmOS device now, I'd try to score a Centro because it is the last iteration of the tech, was sold in large numbers (citation?) and I have not heard any dealbreaking negative stuff about it.

Using it as a day to day mobile phone has a major pitfall. Your service provider could just update the software running in their cellphone towers and you're SOL.

Man, that calendar...

It was a thing of beauty.
    Pre 3, webOS 2.2.4 on O2 Germany, TP 32 GB
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    My only gripe about the centro is the small screen and the platicquesque smansungneque feel.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I certainly wouldn't want to use a Centro as my primary phone these days. I simply want the best device of each OS family. I find the physique of the Centro interesting as it resembles what was then to come in hardware after the switch to webOS. I just saw a video of a skin called Teal on the Centro & to me it looked nifty on such a device. Maybe we can call that the Pre Zero / webOS 0!
    I love my unlocked GSM centro, though some of the more recent SIM cards/carriers no longer work on it.

I haven't had any issues on my Centro, but loved my Treo 700p, and it was a real rugged workhorse - you could play hockey with that thing. The big issue with the Treo's was the poor bluetooth. For that reason alone, I'd go with the centro.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
    I certainly wouldn't want to use a Centro as my primary phone these days. I simply want the best device of each OS family. I find the physique of the Centro interesting as it resembles what was then to come in hardware after the switch to webOS. I just saw a video of a skin called Teal on the Centro & to me it looked nifty on such a device. Maybe we can call that the Pre Zero / webOS 0!
    I liked the centro and was tempted to get one instead of my Pixi.

Glad I didn't but I love real legacy palmos devices, and still want to get one.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Just ordered a new Centro to play with. :-)

Update: AND I GOT IT!
    Last edited by adam917; 09/08/2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Update
    xandros9 likes this.
    We have been using Centros sinve they first came out. We just switched carriers and got a new GSM unlocked Centro. Works great but we are having trouble setting it up for Mms picturr messaging. Settings look right but messages don't send or receive. Everything else works. With Palm gone there is no one to turn to for support.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk