1.    #1  
    Does the OEM auto charger cord that everyone is saying is "defective" actually do OK charging the Treo 300 - and / or is the only problem that it hangs up inside the Treo 300 plug and is hard to remove.

If the hard to remove part is all there is I have fixed mine by taking a fingernail emery board and filing a little off the tooth that sticks out on each side.

I haven't used it to charge the Treo but need to soon, so I'd appreciate an update by someone who is knowledgable about the "defective" OEM auto charging cord.

Thanks

Ron Vermillion
    Last edited by Ron Vermillion; 01/26/2003 at 12:02 PM.
    i used the original one with no problems, just was careful with it
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Same here. I know some people say it caused some sort of fatal error, but I've never experienced anything other than the problem with the hooks.

Does anyone know whether there's a better charger available as a warranty replacement, or should I just bite the bullet and buy an aftermarket charger?

Tracey
    i think the fatal error occured mainly when you charged and talked at the same time and drained the unit.

most of us got a replacement automatically in the mail from sprint. if you did not, either you got a correct one, or you should call them

i also got a spare from ebay. that's also where i picked up a usb sync-charge cable which is actually what i use the most. (i have onstar calling in my car)
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    My OEM car charger broke the connector on the treo on the first day I got my Treo (when I was in the parking lot just after buying it). I don't think it is built correctly at all. My replacement is not much better, I just have to work very slowly to plug and unplug it in the car
    Tell you what I just did - I took a pair of needle-nose pliers and bent those tiny hooks down against the tines they were poking out of. The charger won't stay securely in the phone, but it works, and it beats it getting hung in the phone and maybe tearing something up.

Also, you'll want to be careful not to bend the tines out too much or the plug won't go into the phone.

Tracey
    i also got a spare from ebay. that's also where i picked up a usb sync-charge cable which is actually what i use the most. (i have onstar calling in my car)
    Be careful what you buy on ebay. There's an auction at [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3003310233&category=29847[/ur] for $9.99, and it's the exact same crappy charger I got with my phone - the one with the hooks that won't turn loose.

Tracey
    i bought my charger as well as usb/synch and battery backup from ebay user peakcloudy. no problems so far.
    Originally posted by tmccartney66

Be careful what you buy on ebay. There's an auction at [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3003310233&category=29847[/ur] for $9.99, and it's the exact same crappy charger I got with my phone - the one with the hooks that won't turn loose.

Tracey
    How can you tell? I bought one from ebay that looks like the one I then got with my 300 (I had a 180) and the one I bought on Ebay had no problems whatsoever.
    How can you tell? I bought one from ebay that looks like the one I then got with my 300 (I had a 180) and the one I bought on Ebay had no problems whatsoever.
    That's very good that you haven't had trouble. You're probably more careful with yours than I've been.

I could tell from the picture. My bad charger, and the one in the picture on the auction, has three rows of five dimples on each side of the cigarette-lighter plug. It also has those nasty little hooks at the other end.

Tracey