1.    #1  
    Somehow, a bunch of appointments I scheduled into my VDX one night disappeared the next day. Only explanation I can come up with is that when I did a hotsync the next morning, I inadvertently set the Calendar conduit to "Desktop overwrites Handheld", although I can't believe I was that careless...

Anyway, I wanted to check the synch log to confirm that that's what happened, but all it doesn't seem to record what overwrote what -- only that the Calendar function sync completed successfully. Is there any way to retrieve the details of the sync transaction? I just want to confirm for sure that an overwrite is what happened as opposed to the appointments disappearing from my VDX due to some weird malfunction...
    Hey Leo!

I don't know what happend.

Here's what I do know: I never set anything to overwright anything else. I just set everything to *synchronize the files*! I'm not really sure what the overwrite options are for.....but *synchronize the files* just compares what is on your VDx and your Palm Desktop and puts all the same data on both.

So that's what I know.....after only 2 cups of coffee this Saturday morning.

Later, man.

------------------
    Did we blow up yet?

...long hair, gun slinging, spurs hittin the floor...
    Originally posted by editboxer:
    Hey Leo!

I'm not really sure what the overwrite options are for.....
    Most of the time syncronize is what you want but there are times that overwrite comes in handy. Like when you inadvertantly delete a bunch of records from the handheld. In that case you can set to Desktop overwrites Handheld to recover.
  4.    #4  
    I usually overwrite because I'm paranoid about duplicate entries -- at least with Datebook (I'm not so concerned about the others). I never have data entered directly onto the Desktop anyway, so I figure I might as well overwrite from Handheld to Desktop.

My concern about Datebook is this: Let's say, for example, I have my weekly Monday 4pm staff meeting recorded on both Handheld and PC. On Handheld, I then change next week's meeting occurrence from 4 to 5 pm. Handheld would then treat that 5:00 meeting not as an aberrant occurrence within a series, but rather as a single standalone event, right? So wouldn't syncing add the 5 pm to desktop and restore the 4 pm to handheld -- as part of the series as originally programmed?

[This message has been edited by leojbramble (edited 08-20-2000).]
    Originally posted by leojbramble

My concern about Datebook is this: Let's say, for example, I have my weekly Monday 4pm staff meeting recorded on both Handheld and PC. On Handheld, I then change next week's meeting occurrence from 4 to 5 pm. Handheld would then treat that 5:00 meeting not as an aberrant occurrence within a series, but rather as a single standalone event, right? So wouldn't syncing add the 5 pm to desktop and restore the 4 pm to handheld -- as part of the series as originally programmed?

Hey, again, Leo.

I just tried your senario quoted above with my weekly re-occuring monday morning staff meeting. (I hate my monday morning staff meeting.)

So.....that particular event is set up to repeat every week from now till the end of time. I clicked *details* for tomorrow's meeting, changed the time to 9am, clicked *ok* and then clicked *CURRENT* on the resulting dialog box.......which modified the meeting time ONLY for tomorrow. Then I sync'd (again, with all set to *synchronize* instead of *overwrite*) and BOOM!......It only modified tomorrow's meeting time, and left the rest of the occurances alone.

Is that where your were heading?

I've never had problems with duplicating events but I have seen an app somwhere (PalmGearH.Q.?) that gets rid of dups.

See ya,
    albert

(OIIIIO)
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by editboxer
    I clicked *details* for tomorrow's meeting, changed the time to 9am, clicked *ok* and then clicked *CURRENT* on the resulting dialog box.......which modified the meeting time ONLY for tomorrow. Then I sync'd (again, with all set to *synchronize* instead of *overwrite*) and BOOM!......It only modified tomorrow's meeting time, and left the rest of the occurances alone.
    Hmm, I guess it's smarter than I thought -- I guess it still recognizes the 9 am occurrence as part of the original series.

Since you're such a wiz, perhaps you can answer this:

I had a recurring weekly event on my Yahoo! calendar; when I imported the calendar into my Visor, it imported the events as individual occurrences. Now I want to delete them all. Do you know of an efficient way to do that so I don't have to find and delete weekly occurrences through 2025?
    Now this is the reason why I stopped using the true Sync conduit (Yahoo and Excite).... In my case, I never do a synchronize I always do an overwrite... of course I have my backup module in handy in case something wierd happens. Overwrites I believe deletes everything then copies all the files from where your overwrite comes from, say Handheld Overwrites Desktop Radio Button is selected during sync, this Deletes all the entry in the desktop first then it copies over all the data from the PDA, in our case, the visor.

If you are using microsoft Outlook, you can recover all your data by going through the Deleted Items folder.
    ----------------------------------------
    I do not know what weapons will be used
    in world war III, but im sure that we
    will use rocks in world war IV. --Albert Einstein
    ----------------------------------------
    Originally posted by leojbramble
    [B I had a recurring weekly event on my Yahoo! calendar; when I imported the calendar into my Visor, it imported the events as individual occurrences. Now I want to delete them all. Do you know of an efficient way to do that so I don't have to find and delete weekly occurrences through 2025? [/B]
    Guess I'm not that much of a whiz.......'cause that one's got me stumped. I'll look into it and get back to ya.

If you do wind up having to delete manually, the best way would probably be on the PalmDesktop program.

I do have to take this opportunity to recomend the Excite Planner calander service. It's free like Yahoo, but Excite's rig seems a bit more intutive and it syncs well with the PalmOS stuff (recurring events are recurring events). Their sync conduit it from Starfish.....a program called TrueSync. You can get it from the Excite Planner page. The only reason I do this is to quell some of that data-loss-paranoia.

Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with on your deleting weekly occurrences issue.

See ya,

albert

(OIIIIO)
    O.K., Leo, Here's my best shot:

There's a program called UnDupe(shareware $5):
    http://www.stevenscreek.com/pilot/undupe.shtml

This program deletes duplicated records from PalmOS native apps including DateBook.

So here's my theory:

You've got a g'zillion individual (non-recurring) events that you want to delete, and it's my understanding that they started out as recurring events in Yahoo's calander service.

If you create a *new* event that coincides with the ones your are trying to get rid of, and *repeat* this *new* event that you just created so that you have *created* duplicate events that mirror the ones that you want to ditch.

With me so far? (I'm trying to keep up myself)

(I havn't tried this next part......just conjecture on my part) Next, run the UnDupe app......if you *named* your newely created duplicating event *EXACTLY* the same as the ones you want deleted, UnDupe will recognize that there are duplicating events and allow you to select the set you want to get rid of.

Does that sound like it'll work......or did I have too much coffee today?

Let me know if you try this.

Good Luck!

albert

(OIIIIO)
  10.    #10  
    ...I do have to take this opportunity to recomend the Excite Planner calander service. It's free like Yahoo, but Excite's rig seems a bit more intutive and it syncs well with the PalmOS stuff...
    Do you really find it necessary and worthwhile to keep your Excite calendar as a backup to the Palm Desktop and backup module? Or do you sync to Excite INSTEAD of Palm Desktop?

...There's a program called UnDupe(shareware $5)... you create a *new* event that coincides with the ones your are trying to get rid of... Next, run the UnDupe app......if you *named* your newely created duplicating event *EXACTLY* the same as the ones you want deleted, UnDupe will recognize that there are duplicating events and allow you to select the set you want to get rid of.

Does that sound like it'll work......or did I have too much coffee today?
    Sounds like a reasonable theory -- worth a shot. I'll let you know. Thanks.
    Do you really find it necessary and worthwhile to keep your Excite calendar as a backup to the Palm Desktop and backup module? Or do you sync to Excite INSTEAD of Palm Desktop?

I sync to both Yahoo! and Palm Desktop. I use Yahoo! as my primary PIM. It's nice because it allows you to access you PIM easily from anywhere in the world. Plus it integrates well with Yahoo! mail which is all I use these days.

From what I've seen, I do like Excite's PIM features much better; It sync's Notepad and syncs ToDo categories, which Yahoo does not. It also seems to have more preferences. I just haven't switched because I'm hooked on Yahoo Companion which also integrates with the PIMS stuff well. Does Excite have something similar?

The only reason I also sync to Palm Desktop is to be able to access my PIM data if Yahoo or my DSL go down.

Is is necessary to keep my Visor's data on the web, on my desktop, and on the VDx itself?

Nope.

I just do it 'cause I'm funny that way.

Well, paranoid, really. If lightning were to strike my house while my VDx was in the cradle......a big zap through the cable line or something.......then I'd loose all (and I mean ALL) my contact information and calander stuff. So I choose to keep a relativly current (sync'd every couple of days) version up on Excite's servers. I'm knocking on wood like crazy now so maybe lightning *won't* zap my stuff!

Also, if you're away from your Visor and your computer, but you still have access to the internet somewhere, you can get to your stuff to check address info or schedules or notes, etc.

Or maybe it's just another toy.....and like my wife says: The guy with the most toys in the end wins!

See ya,
    albert

(OIIIIO)