Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 46 of 46
  1. #41  
    Oops. This script had a whole lot of other stuff in it which I deleted in a hurry this morning because someone wanted a copy of the script with just the SMS related stuff. Didn't realize I deleted the copyright stuff.

    Yea, I read that post but was somewhat confused. It appears your getting just 91 characters? Is that correct?

    My Samsung A500 gets 115 characters. Wonder why my treo will only get 100.

    The 115 on my A500 used to be long enough for my server outage notifications but Sprint screwed that up by adding the "from" and "subject" from the alerts our monitoring service send. The message is too long for even the 115 character limit. It cuts off right before the name of the server that went down. So now I have to check all of them to find out which one crashed.

    Sure could use more characters. Oh well.

    Larry
  2. #42  
    Just tried the infamous http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/guestCompose.do I had never been able to get this to work with my Treo but always worked with my A500. BUT, today it worked and I can get all 160 characters of the message.

    Guess now I'll see if my script can call Sprint's script.

    Still doesn't help the server monitoring service that can only send to an email address.

    Larry
  3.    #43  
    Originally posted by lmelamed
    Oops. This script had a whole lot of other stuff in it which I deleted in a hurry this morning because someone wanted a copy of the script with just the SMS related stuff. Didn't realize I deleted the copyright stuff.
    Thanks for putting that back. However, I see you didn't follow my suggestion of adding a note with the authorship information for your modified version. For a while in a FormMail-type script that I wrote, I had comments blasting Reuven M. Lerner's "form-mail.pl", saying that it had a major security hole.

    Wasn't until later that I learned that the copy of form-mail.pl I had been looking at had been modified by someone without making any mention of this in the comment header, causing me to blame Reuven incorrectly.

    If you're unwilling to put in your name and a short note about what your modifications are, you should at least add a line like:

    Code:
    # This script is a modified copy of:
    just before the required copyright header.

    Yea, I read that post but was somewhat confused. It appears your getting just 91 characters? Is that correct?
    91 characters for the "body" of the SMS. 32 characters for the pseudo-From header that Sprint adds, plus 2 characters for the ": " after it. 32 characters + 2 for the ": " for the pseudo-Subject header that Sprint optionally adds, whether they do it in a particular mail or not.

    The 115 on my A500 used to be long enough for my server outage notifications but Sprint screwed that up by adding the "from" and "subject" from the alerts our monitoring service send. The message is too long for even the 115 character limit. It cuts off right before the name of the server that went down. So now I have to check all of them to find out which one crashed.
    Sounds like a job for a script called from procmail to mangle the results to fit within the character limit (somewhat along the lines of what sms_biff does, but in this case it'd be a specific filter that recognizes your outage notification mails).

    Sure could use more characters. Oh well.
    The only way you can get the full 160 characters now (well, 155) is to forge the envelope From to be a fake address that actually contains bits of the body, and then to do the same with the Subject if it's under Sprint's reserved 32-character size.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 03/01/2003 at 07:55 PM.
  4.    #44  
    Originally posted by lmelamed
    Just tried the infamous http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/guestCompose.do I had never been able to get this to work with my Treo but always worked with my A500. BUT, today it worked and I can get all 160 characters of the message.
    Hey, they fixed it!! Good find! (I just verified this myself with a 160-character message.) So now it no longer includes the pointless "ANONYMOUS@messaging.sprintpcs.co: " pseudo-From, and it doesn't reserve 34 characters for a Subject that'll never be there.

    Guess now I'll see if my script can call Sprint's script.
    Yeah, very interesting. Now it would again be worthwhile to modify sms_biff to be able to send via Sprint's web-to-SMS gateway, since that would get around the problem of the body being limited to 91 characters max. (And you woulldn't have to deal with long headers being split with a ": " in the middle, in its Sprint-intended "continuation" mode.)

    Still doesn't help the server monitoring service that can only send to an email address.
    Well, if you write a script that can send to the web-to-SMS gateway, it would be quite easy to write a procmail recipe that'd recognize your server monitoring emails and send them off to there.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 03/01/2003 at 03:58 PM.
  5.    #45  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Sounds like a job for a script called from procmail to mangle the results to fit within the character limit (somewhat along the lines of what sms_biff does, but in this case it'd be a specific filter that recognizes your outage notification mails).
    BTW, I've now written a script along these lines. It's called TreoVisorCentral_notification and it specially processes TreoCentral "Reply to post" and "New Private Message" emails so that you'll be able to browse to the new message(s) directly from the SMS popup on your Treo.
  6.    #46  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Yeah, very interesting. Now it would again be worthwhile to modify sms_biff to be able to send via Sprint's web-to-SMS gateway, since that would get around the problem of the body being limited to 91 characters max. (And you woulldn't have to deal with long headers being split with a ": " in the middle, in its Sprint-intended "continuation" mode.)
    Of course, it occurs to me that if I do add this functionality, I'll have to give it the ability to detect failures and back off to using the email gateway, since it's historically been much more stable than the web one.

    I had a new and entertaining failure of the web gateway this evening.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions