Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    A program called, emil, does lots of charset conversion and repackaging of attachments. It can help to normalize messages.
    Okay, took a look at it, but again, it doesn't have the right featureset for this application. I think MIME-tools is the best option.

(Or did you mean to use emil in addition to one of the MIME-stripping scripts? I guess that could work, though I'd still feel better to have the code be in one place in sms_biff itself (not counting the MIME-tools modules).)
    Originally posted by Robert K.
    And on the SMS thing... are a lot of you having to pay for additional bundles of SMS's to cover all of the e-mail notifications?
    nope, the email notifications are now UNLIMITED, as part of the Vision plan.

Kimberly
    I thought I'd mention that shortmails coming into Treo300SMS today don't have the leading e-mail address.

Geoffrey
  4.    #24  
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    I thought I'd mention that shortmails coming into Treo300SMS today don't have the leading e-mail address.

Geoffrey
    Oh, is that right? I got a few SMS email notifications this morning but I didn't look at them closely -- just looked at the subjects before deleting them.

I just sent a couple of emails to myself but no SMS has come through. I then went to http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/, but it's broken in a way I haven't seen before -- it gives the bogus error "One of the message recipients does not subscribe to this messaging service." even though I'm using my correct cell phone number.

We can only hope it's down because they're fixing the stupid 91-character limit.
  5.    #25  
    I just successfully received an SMS email notification, and it did have the From: pseudo-header. However, Sprint's web SMS gateway is still broken.
    It's amazing, but, sadly, not entirely shocking, that two of us on the same system, with the same hardware, have our messages come through differently.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    It's amazing, but, sadly, not entirely shocking, that two of us on the same system, with the same hardware, have our messages come through differently.

Geoffrey
    You would be correct if we were all using the same system but hat is not the case. Sprint messaging servers are spread throughout the U.S. Our "mileage" obviously varies.
    Has anyone else found that some of their messages sent using Treo300SMS show up with a different phone number than the originating number?

For example, I sent 3 messages from my Treo to another Sprint phone I have and each message had a DIFFERENT number as the originator. One of them was indeed the correct number. I had some complaints from a friend of mine about this phenomenon, which is why I tried it myself.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by Maniac8888

You would be correct if we were all using the same system but hat is not the case. Sprint messaging servers are spread throughout the U.S. Our "mileage" obviously varies.
    Not wanting to be a picky SOB, but I consider it one "system," albeit with multiple servers. I can't say I'm surprised that aspects of this service are inconsistent, possibly due to regional factors.

I'll be happy when true 2-say SMS is in place. Whenever that may be.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I just successfully received an SMS email notification, and it did have the From: pseudo-header. However, Sprint's web SMS gateway is still broken.
    I just tested mynum@messaging.sprintpcs.com and here's what I got back:

Date: 2/7/03 2:08pm

myaddress@bellsouth.net: test:
    test123.

The "From:" and "Date:" are bold and those are not really part of the message. So it looks like they condensed it down to put the address (myaddress@bellsouth.net) and the subject (test) all on one line. That's better than what was described before.
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    The "From:" and "Date:" are bold and those are not really part of the message. So it looks like they condensed it down to put the address (myaddress@bellsouth.net) and the subject (test) all on one line. That's better than what was described before.
    Um, no, that's what I described before.
    Um, no, that's what I described before.
    Oh, I see now. Hrm, I guess I was complaining earlier about something that was not so bad. I can't try the web site either from here, it says "One of the message recipients does not subscribe to this messaging service." as you mentioned before. I know it worked at one time.
    If you put something like @x.com after the <number>, sprint doesn't put "@messaging.sprintpcs.com" after it.

Today i decided to make a blazer friendly website to send SMS, similar to http://messaging.sprintpcs.com. What I can't figure out is how to include a callback number. I was just going to have my frontend call their backend, but I also want to make a blazer friendly result page.

I was using http://www.carde.com/sms, but I don't think it's working anymore, and I'd rather not have 3rd party handle my messages.
  14.    #34  
    Originally posted by thppfft
    If you put something like @x.com after the <number>, sprint doesn't put "@messaging.sprintpcs.com" after it.
    I think people may be confused by your statement here. I know it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about.

What you're saying is that if you forge an email sent to your_phone_number@messaging.sprintpcs.com as being From: sender's_phone_number, that Sprint will append the default (local) domain name to this "email address", and the pseudo-From header in the SMS will appear as "sender's_phone_number@messaging.sprintpcs.com: ".

But, as you say, if you forge the email as being from "sender's_phone_number@some.domain", then it will use that as-is, as of course it should.

I did some testing awhile back, and the SMTP server at messaging.sprintpcs.com, unlike some SMTP servers, doesn't care whether the domain name you give in the From address is valid or not.

It won't append its local domain name as long as you give it a domain name with at least one dot in it. So, if you want to keep it short, you can forge your email as being from something like "sender's_phone_number@a.b". However, since Sprint is reserving the full 32 characters for the header whether you use it in full or not, it would make more sense to use something mnemonic, like "sender's_phone_number@web.sms.gateway", or something along those lines.
  15.    #35  
    Looks like it's even more important now than it was in the past to get this working, though. In response to some claims in the "Sending TREO SMS limited to 20 characters?" thread, I did some testing, and I see that SMS message "bodies" are now limited to 91 characters, rather than the old 160.

The way the 91 character limit comes about is because Sprint's stupid software unconditionally reserves the space for the new From: and Subject: headers. The content of those headers is truncated at 32 characters, and each is followed by ": ", so 32 + 2 + 32 + 2 + 91 = 159. Not sure where the 160th character went -- it may be a newline or NUL terminator at the end of the message.
    BTW, as mentioned here, I've now updated sms_biff to reflect this situation (see the new "continuation" feature).
  16.    #36  
    I see that SMSes you get sent when you have the "Notification by PCS Phone" option turned on for your Sprint email account now contain the From: and Subject: pseudo-headers as well. Whereas before you'd get an SMS from "No Caller ID" saying just:

"Check your PCS Mail!"
    you'll now get one saying:

FLast##@sprintpcs.com: You have mail from sender: "Check your PCS Mail!"
    Unfortunately, again, Sprint isn't behaving very intelligently with respect to their own 32-character pseudo-header limit. My FLast## account name is 11 characters long, and that plus the rest of the Subject above means that there's only 13 characters available for the entire sender email address. Very few email addresses fit within 13 characters (example: "jbob1@aol.com").

They need to either cut the other verbiage out of the subject, or, preferably, put the sender address in the actual body of the SMS. (Or increase the 32-character pseudo-header limit.)
  17.    #37  
    Well, here's another bug in Sprint's email-to-SMS gateway, which I presume goes back to the January 23 addition of Sprint-generated body pseudo-headers.

If you send the gateway an email with a blank body (e.g. a short message contained entirely in the Subject: line), you'll get an SMS consisting of just the From: pseudo-header and a portion of the first Received: header. The Subject: pseudo-header (where the actual message was) will not appear.

Note, BTW, that I've updated my sms_biff program to work around this bug.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 02/24/2003 at 09:39 PM.
  18.    #38  
    This is a reply to a private message. I'm posting it here because it may be of interest to other people trying to write software to send SMSes via Sprint's email-to-SMS gateway, and mostly because private messages are limited to 1000 characters (my reply is 2618) for some lame-o reason.

lmelamed wrote on 03-01-2003 11:25 AM:
    Been reading all your SMS posts. Learned alot. I'm wondering if you could help me with something.

I read on one of your posts about Sprint adding the SMTP "envelope" at the front of the SMS message.

I'm using a Perl script that sends my messages via SENDMAIL. All my messages come with "larry@sms.com" at the front of them taking us needed characters. IS this the SMTP Envelope?
    It's the "envelope sender" or "envelope From", yes. The entire envelope also consists of the envelope To.

I've done some searching and haven't found what I'm looking for. Is there anyway you know of to pass a parameter to SENDMAIL to set the "envelope"
    How are you calling sendmail from your script? By running the executable directly, or via one of the various modules that allow you to send via sendmail?

If you're running sendmail directly, you can use its -f parameter to set the envelope From (and you might want to add your username to the /etc/mail/trusted-users file so sendmail doesn't stick in unnecessary X-Authentication-Warning headers when you do that).

If you're using a module, you may be out of luck unless that module is Net::SMTP (which of course doesn't require sendmail, per se), which I use in sms_biff. I'm not aware of options on the modules that call sendmail to pass it the -f paramter.

to 1 character so it only takes up 1 space in the message?
    No, an address consisting of a single space wouldn't be a legal envelope From address. The RFCs do allow for a blank envelope from, the SMTP command for which looks like "MAIL From:<>", but Sprint's gateway doesn't allow that (which is not RFC-compliant -- that address is supposed to be accepted when delivering bounces).

I did some testing and the shortest address Sprint was willing to accept in the envelope From was a three-character one, like <a@b.c>.

Of course, your local sendmail is likely not to let you use that address, since the "b.c" domain doesn't exist, and recent versions of sendmail disallow domains that don't exist, for anti-spam reasons. In such a case you'd have to switch to using Net::SMTP so that you can speak directly to Sprint's MX server, or you'd have to switch to using a short domain that does exist, as in <z@a.to>. You should probably check beforehand that <z@a.to> isn't someone's real account (try sending it an email) so that if it is, that person won't be spammed with bounces (the RFCs require that bounces be delivered to the envelope sender).
    Thanks Dan. I got it down to a@a.a.

I'm calling my Perl script from www.dreampages.com/sms.html

A copy of perl script is at www.dreampages.com/smscgi.txt (bogus phone number is in the script but that's all that needs to be replaced if someone wants to use it).

Another question I though SMS messages can be up to 160 characters but I can only get 100 on my Treo. Am I missing something? I saw in one of your posts you were getting 91 characters. Anyway to get 160 even if including the "from" stuff?

Thanks,
    Larry
    Last edited by lmelamed; 03/01/2003 at 02:39 PM.
  20.    #40  
    Originally posted by lmelamed
    Thanks Dan. I got it down to a@a.a.
    Ah. So your copy of sendmail is evidently not set up to reject addresses with bogus domain names.

I'm calling my Perl script from www.dreampages.com/sms.html

A copy of perl script is at www.dreampages.com/smscgi.txt (bogus phone number is in the script but that's all that needs to be replaced if someone wants to use it).
    Ah yes, a modified FormMail, I see. However, you've ignored the author's licensing requirements:

Code:
    ##############################################################################
    # FormMail                        Version 1.92                               #
    # Copyright 1995-2002 Matt Wright mattw@scriptarchive.com                    #
    # Created 06/09/95                Last Modified 04/21/02                     #
    # Matt's Script Archive, Inc.:    http://www.scriptarchive.com/              #
    ##############################################################################
    # COPYRIGHT NOTICE                                                           #
    # Copyright 1995-2002 Matthew M. Wright  All Rights Reserved.                #
    #                                                                            #
    # FormMail may be used and modified free of charge by anyone so long as this #
    # copyright notice and the comments above remain intact.                     #
    As a free software author that also wites copyrighted software with certain licensing restrictions (in my case, the GNU General Public License), I would like to strongly suggest you put Matthew Wright's required header lines back (and then add your own headers saying what your modifications are so people won't get confused and send Matthew bug reports about your script).

Another question I though SMS messages canbe up to 160 characters but I can only get 100 on my Treo. Am I missing something?
    I thought you said you read all my posts about SMS. Re-read this one (you can skip the first couple of paragraphs).
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 08/13/2006 at 08:59 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast