1.    #1  
    Anyone know of a better web browser for Treo 300. Blazer is ok, but I know there could be better out there.

thanx
    "Living is the only thing worth dying for."
    AvantGo is good as well.
    The only browser with some Java support is ZFrame. Its support is pretty minimal, though -- it seems to mostly support just Java applets that produce static content, not ones that you need to interact with. ZFrame renders pages via Internet Explorer code on a proxy server and then sends your Treo "smart" graphical results (it knows where the hyperlinks are).
    Actually, Xiino supports a fair amount of Javascript.
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    Absolutely!
    I had a feeling someone was going to post this.

The original poster said "Java", not "JavaScript". They are completely unrelated, despite the unfortunate naming similarity. JavaScript was named to try to cash in on Java's early buzz (no pun intended). In recent years some vendors have taken to calling it by a less confusing (and less trademark-infringing??) name -- Microsoft calls their version JScript, while the new industry-standard name is ECMAScript.

My statement stands -- ZFrame is the only Palm OS web browser with some Java support. There are a few virtual machines available which bring a Java subset to the Palm OS (in addition to the one that Palm themselves is working on), and it's possible that one of them has the power to specify a web page URL where an applet is located and run it. Ideally the Palm OS web browsers would be written so that they could pass applets over to one of the JVMs (of course many applets would fail since you can't really fit a complete Java implementation on existing Palm OS devices).

If the original poster didn't know what he/she was talking about, and really meant JavaScript, then yes, Xiino is a good way to go. For JavaScript that doesn't dynamically change page content, though, ZFrame has a fuller implementation. For instance, user-requested popup windows work in it.
    Which is exactly the reason I specified Xiino handles Javascript, not Java. As I'm sure is well known, many people use the term "Java" for both.

Geoffrey
    Which is exactly the reason I specified Xiino handles Javascript, not Java. As I'm sure is well known, many people use the term "Java" for both.

Geoffrey
    Your "Actually..." implied that you were correcting me about ZFrame being the only browser with Java support. I was not wrong.

Using "Java" to mean both "Java" and "JavaScript" is a dumb idea and is absolutely to be discouraged.
    I tried Xiino. It's a nice browser but takes a lot of memory. I did a search for zframe at palmgear and came up with zilch. I use EudoraWeb for text only browsing because it's fast. The name "Blazer" must be an oxymoron. The graphics are good but it is pretty slow, presumably because it goes through a proxy. Maybe I'm asking too much but does anybody know of a good browser that handles at least some graphics but also moves pretty good without gobbling up too much RAM (sort of like a Xiino lite)?
    If you think Xiino takes up a lot of memory, then ZFrame would really scare you. It needs even more than Xiino. Unless you like the Vagabond browser (do a search for vagabond in TreoCentral), I think you've seen what's out there.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by Beagle92
    I tried Xiino. It's a nice browser but takes a lot of memory. I did a search for zframe at palmgear and came up with zilch.
    Yeah, I don't think they distribute it via the shareware sites. I provided a link to the browser in my post above.

I use EudoraWeb for text only browsing because it's fast. The name "Blazer" must be an oxymoron. The graphics are good but it is pretty slow, presumably because it goes through a proxy. Maybe I'm asking too much but does anybody know of a good browser that handles at least some graphics but also moves pretty good without gobbling up too much RAM (sort of like a Xiino lite)?
    No such beast right now.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I had a feeling someone was going to post this.

The original poster said "Java", not "JavaScript". They are completely unrelated, despite the unfortunate naming similarity. JavaScript was named to try to cash in on Java's early buzz (no pun intended). In recent years some vendors have taken to calling it by a less confusing (and less trademark-infringing??) name -- Microsoft calls their version JScript, while the new industry-standard name is ECMAScript.

My statement stands -- ZFrame is the only Palm OS web browser with some Java support. There are a few virtual machines available which bring a Java subset to the Palm OS (in addition to the one that Palm themselves is working on), and it's possible that one of them has the power to specify a web page URL where an applet is located and run it. Ideally the Palm OS web browsers would be written so that they could pass applets over to one of the JVMs (of course many applets would fail since you can't really fit a complete Java implementation on existing Palm OS devices).

If the original poster didn't know what he/she was talking about, and really meant JavaScript, then yes, Xiino is a good way to go. For JavaScript that doesn't dynamically change page content, though, ZFrame has a fuller implementation. For instance, user-requested popup windows work in it.
    Hello Dan Harkless,
    With the entire java-bahah-hooplah thing, I lose track of what's better. So please, a quick opinion: What browser would you recommend for the average Treo user?
    Thanks much,
    moose
    Originally posted by m00se
    Hello Dan Harkless,
    With the entire java-bahah-hooplah thing, I lose track of what's better. So please, a quick opinion: What browser would you recommend for the average Treo user?
    Thanks much,
    moose
    Xiino is the most powerful general-purpose Palm OS web browser (ZFrame is in many ways more powerful, but is more specialized and not well-suited to general-purpose browsing). Blazer is probably good enough for most casual users.
    I will second this. I have owned Xiino since I first tried it on my Kyocera 6035. I found ZFrame tedious to navigate.

Geoffrey