1.    #1  
    Hello!
    I have a Zaurus 5500 - but this should be the same for all PDA's. Normally I can get Wireless Web though Verison Web for it BUT Verison's web coverage is not available in my area. SO I want to hook up my Sprint PCS phone (Samsung SCH-8500) with sprint Vision (Wireless Web) to my PDA. Now this should be similar for all PDAs - Just in case the Zaurus comes with Serial/USB (via docking station port and IR port. Now I KNOW how to hook up this phone to my laptop (see http://www.shorecom.com/wirelessly.html). But I have no clue how to connect it to a PDA.

Please Help,
    AK_RAGE
    Originally posted by AKRAGE
    Hello!
    I have a Zaurus 5500 - but this should be the same for all PDA's. Normally I can get Wireless Web though Verison Web for it BUT Verison's web coverage is not available in my area. SO I want to hook up my Sprint PCS phone (Samsung SCH-8500) with sprint Vision (Wireless Web) to my PDA. Now this should be similar for all PDAs - Just in case the Zaurus comes with Serial/USB (via docking station port and IR port. Now I KNOW how to hook up this phone to my laptop (see http://www.shorecom.com/wirelessly.html). But I have no clue how to connect it to a PDA.

Please Help,
    AK_RAGE
    This can be done with my WirelessModem program: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>. However, you'll need to experiment yourself in order to get the correct settings. I have done this with a Palm Tungsten T and a Sony CLIE connected both via IR and via serial (for the TT) to my Treo.
  3.    #3  
    First to make sure we are on the same page...
    We assume that the PDA CAN NOT connect to the internet by itself the phone however can (has wireless web). So the task is to get the PDA connected to the phone and using the phones Wireless WEB.

Now in responce to

This can be done with my WirelessModem program: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>. However, you'll need to experiment yourself in order to get the correct settings. I have done this with a Palm Tungsten T and a Sony CLIE connected both via IR and via serial (for the TT) to my Treo.
    I thought that inorder to do this - the Phone would have to act as the "server" because it has Wireless Web...so the PDA would have to initiate the connection...right? Also I thought your program (WirelessModem) was ONLY to set up the Treo 300 as a Modem (server) or can it intiate connections as well (act as client)?

Could you provide any detail of how you hooked up your TT to your Treo? What did you do to the phone spacifically? is there software for the phone? Please explain...

Thanks,
    AK_RAGE
    Originally posted by AKRAGE
    First to make sure we are on the same page...
    We assume that the PDA CAN NOT connect to the internet by itself the phone however can (has wireless web). So the task is to get the PDA connected to the phone and using the phones Wireless WEB.

Now in responce to

I thought that inorder to do this - the Phone would have to act as the "server" because it has Wireless Web...so the PDA would have to initiate the connection...right? Also I thought your program (WirelessModem) was ONLY to set up the Treo 300 as a Modem (server) or can it intiate connections as well (act as client)?

Could you provide any detail of how you hooked up your TT to your Treo? What did you do to the phone spacifically? is there software for the phone? Please explain...

Thanks,
    AK_RAGE
    Please see this thread:

<http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ght=clie+modem>

Please use the search feature as lots of questions have previously been asked. I realize that there is a lot to sift through, but the question has been asked and answered.

Do you have a Treo 300? Or are you specifically wanting to connect your Zaurus through a Samsung SCH-8500 phone on Sprint's service? Or do you want to connect your Zaurus through the Treo 300?
  6.    #6  
    I see we are having some misunderstanding...

First in reply to sgruby...I took a look at that thread and that is not what I am trying to accomplish - in the thread it explained how to connect a treo 300 to a Sony Clie or TT BUT the treo was the internet "provider" not the other way around.

For everyone...here is what I want to do
    1) I have a phone - Samsung SCH-8500
    This phone uses Sprint PCS Vision and has Wireless Web. Other then that it is just a normal cell phone (not a smart phone/PDA).

2) I have a Zaurus SL-5500 (PDA) WITHOUT Wireless Web. However the answer to my question will probably apply to ANY PDA WITHOUT built in wireless web.

I want to connect the PDA to the phone. And have THE PHONE provide internet for the PDA. NOT THE other way around.

NOW BEFORE YOU SAY "IMPOSSIBLE"
    What I have accomplished....

The phone comes with an optional data cable (phone->serial). I got this cable and I hooked it up to my computer. Then I created a "Dial Up Networking" connection using COM1 (serial) and dialing #2932. THIS WORKED! I got my computer connected to the phone through a serial cable and I could browse the internet.
    Now this is not exactly what I wanted to do...I got a comp hooked up to a Phone not a PDA hooked up to a phone.

BUT

The Zaurus (like many other PDA's) comes with a serial adapter (PDA->serial). Sooo WHAT IF I get a female/female serial connector and hook up the Phone's Serial cable to the PDA's Serial Cable (Phone -> Serial - ADAPTER - Serial <- PDA). This would create a connection between the Phone and the PDA. Then All I would have to do is figure out how to create a "dial up network" connection on my PDA. In essance this would be the same thing as the phone->computer hook up, only the PDA would be inplace of the comp.

Do you think this is possible? If so do you know how to create a "dial-up network" connection ON A PDA? Is there software to do this??? Finally is this the best approach or would you suggest doing something else?

Thanks Again,
    AK_RAGE
    That's what I thought you were trying to do. I have nothing to offer for help except to search around on http://www.howardforums.com. There are a lot of members on there, all doing weird and wacky stuff.

I do not know anything about the OS that the Zaurus is running, it's Linux is it not? There should be lots of ways to hack it. I am sure there are some web sites out there with howtos and such.

Have fun and good luck, I think you are in for an interesting and possibly frustrating ride.
    Basically the original poster posted this message in TreoCentral in the Treo 300 forum and isn't even talking about a Treo. How dumb of me to assume that he wanted to hook his PDA to his Treo 300.

(Moderators, I suggest that you remove this thread or move it somewhere else.)
  9.    #9  
    Dear Scott,
    I did not mean to offend you in any way...We just had a simple misunderstanding. Also I posted here becuase A) This could also apply to a Treo 300 B) It did not fit well anywhere else C) I saw the thread about your Wireless Modem program and thought that this is remotely related so the people in this section might know what to do.

(Moderators - If you feel that this tread would fit better somewhere else Please move it. Otherwise please don't remove this tread because I am just tring to get an answer to my complex problem)

AK_RAGE