1.    #1  
    I do a hotsync, then my treo thinks it was hard reset and starts "restoring handheld database" (all my hotsyncs are now hard resets!!!). How annoying. Has this happened to anyone else?
  2.    #2  
    before it starts "restoring handheld database" it now asks for password. where did this come from? never did before...
    I had the same problem. I ended up using ChangeName, which is freeware available at PalmGear.com.

Included with ChangeName is a Windows application that lists the Palm usernames and, more importantly, their numbers. Change the number the Treo uses once you have the number that the PC is using. Worked for me.
    The default setting for the System conduit in the HotSync Manager should be "Handheld Overwrites Desktop" not "Desktop Overwrites Handheld". I am not sure if this is the setting that you have, but your descrption of the problem points to this. Click on the red and blue HotSync Manager icon in the system tray and select "Custom..."
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    I have "handheld overwrites desktop" for my system conduit as well, and I'm having the same problem when hotsyncing at home.

Weird.
    Could it be that you are having this problem because you are synchronizing with two different computers?

Originally posted by tmccartney66
    I have "handheld overwrites desktop" for my system conduit as well, and I'm having the same problem when hotsyncing at home.

Weird.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Having the same problem. I created a new user name and had "Handheld overwrites computer". For some reason will now not complete a HotSync. Gives me a "lost connection" message.

Any help here would also be appreciated.
    Could it be that you are having this problem because you are synchronizing with two different computers?
    It could be, but I never had this problem with the Palm I had before, and I use the hotsync at home only to install new programs.

I guess I didn't know syncing with two different computers was a no-no.

Tracey