1.    #1  
    On the Treo 300, you can set the auto-off timeout to either 30 seconds or 1, 2, or 3 minutes. I like to keep it set low to preserve my battery (because PowerOn doesn't always succeed in turning the unit back off after accidental button presses in my pocket, and because I get regular SMS notifications of incoming emails which I sometimes don't immediately pull my Treo out of my pocket to acknowledge).

It's annoying that the Treo uses a single auto-off timeout regardless of whether or not you have the lid open, since if you do have it open, you typically don't want it to auto-off on you, whereas if the lid is closed, you definitely do.

However, semi-frequent undesired auto-offs (which in my case require a properly-timed double-press of the power button because I use PowerOn) are tolerable in the name of battery preservation.

What's not tolerable, though, is that the unit uses the same auto-off timeout when the unit is on AC power. When the unit does an undesired auto-off in this case, it's really annoying, since there's zero battery preservation benefit.

I looked around for a hack that would automatically increase the auto-off timeout when the lid is open or when AC power is present, but all I could find was OnPowerOn, which disables the auto-off entirely when AC power is present.

This means that if the unit turns itself on for some reason while on AC power, it'll stay on indefinitely, until you intervene. For instance, if the unit turns on for some reason overnight, it'll stay on all night. I was a little worried about this, since my unit turns on automatically every night due to having "Float Advance at Midnight" turned on in Date Book+, and even if I had that turned off, I often get SMS notifications of emails overnight. I was a little worried the unit would overheat being on all night, but some testing seemed to allay these fears.

However, there's a much worse problem, which I just discovered! The Treo 300's screen is susceptible to burn-in, just like (particularly older) CRTs! I had read in multiple places that LCDs were never susceptible to screen burn-in, so I hadn't been watching for this phenomenon.

However, today I noticed while playing Rally 1000 that there were ghost images on the screen. These images are especially clear if I tilt the screen downwards. The images are screen burn-in from the SMS notification screen -- the "OK" and "Delete Msg" buttons are particularly clear. Also evident is burn-in from SMS message text (not sharp like the buttons, since the text changes from message to message), as well as from the dotted horizontal lines from Date Book+'s daily view, which appears when "Float Advance at Midnight" kicks in. Other features from the Date Book+ and SMS screens are less visible, but are there if you look for them.

Now, this isn't the worst screen burn-in I've ever seen -- the burned-in images are most visible against (the color version of) Rally 1000's powder-blue background -- they aren't as noticeable against the white background used by most apps. And as I said, they're most noticeable if you tilt the screen downwards.

But they're certainly bad enough, and I'm definitely going to remove OnCradleOn from my Treo.

Does anyone know if there are any hacks out there that do what I was originally looking for -- to just increase the auto-off timeout when AC power is present, rather than disabling it entirely? I think I'll email the author of OnCradleOn and suggest he add this capability and add a warning to the documentation about the possibility of LCD screen burn-in. I don't hold out much hope for him coming through, though, as the app hasn't been updated since 0.1 in 2000.

Alternatively, anyone know of a hack that can increase auto-off timeout when the lid is open? Actually, complete disabling of auto-off when the lid is open would also be acceptable, since I rarely leave the lid open and forget about it.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/21/2003 at 12:12 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Oh, and BTW, I had read that "massaging" LCD screens can sometimes fix dead pixels, so for the heck of it I tried rubbing my Treo's screen (protected from scratches by a WriteRight) but it had no effect on the screen burn-in.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Found this on another website...

Burn-in or Screen-Burn with LCD Monitors

Burn-in like effect does happen with LCD monitors but they are correctable as Guy explains below:

"The burn-in like effects refer to a memory effect which can affect LCD displays. It isn't a permanent effect like that which happens with emissive phosphors.

Basically, the liquid crystal displays work by using electrical forces to align liquid crystal molecules into a coherent direction which causes a predictable and controlled polarization of light. Combining that with crossed, fixed polarizers, light filters and a light source allows one to create the color images we see on LCD's. The one part of this which gets forgotten is that the relaxed, incoherent state of the liquid crystal must be returned to after the control charges are done.

If a LC panel holds a portion of the liquid crystal in the coherent state (black on screen) the liquid crystal material can temporarily develop a tendency to stay in a more organized manner than normal. Thus long term black on a LC display may create an area which holds a persistent image effect that looks like a phosphor burn. Fortunately, if the LC panel is allowed to be quiescent (off) for an extended time, perhaps one or two days, the liquid crystal regains its normal characteristics. The effect reverses and the apparent "wear" or "burn" goes away. Another mechanism I've run across, but haven't verified, is a temporary charge problem on the driving transistors. Again leaving the panel off corrects the problem."
    Thanks for the warning. I'll delete oncradleon as well. While I don't notice burnin, neither do I want to. Have you considered using your CircuitCity warranty to get another?

I used a kyo6035 for about 18 months. It came with a cradle. Putting the phone in the cradle activated the screen. If I pressed and held the ir button, the backlight came on and stayed on while in the cradle. Never noticed any burnin there and while you can say apples<>oranges, monochrome screens shouldn't be any more immune to burnin than color screens.
    David
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by jaak3
    Found this on another website...
    Thanks, jaak! This post about current LCD technology being susceptible to screen burn-in (which unfortunately I didn't discover until today) states that just "running a screen saver again for a while" (equivalent in my case: removing OnCradleOn so that the screen is showing the Date Book+ or SMS screens for a much lower percentage of the time) can also fix the burn-in.

I guess I'll try that first and if it doesn't work, I'll try the not using my Treo for two days thing, which will be challenging.

BTW, I've only had OnCradleOn installed for 12 days, so it doesn't take many nights of the screen being on for burn-in to occur...
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/21/2003 at 07:10 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by drw
    Thanks for the warning. I'll delete oncradleon as well. While I don't notice burnin, neither do I want to. Have you considered using your CircuitCity warranty to get another?
    Hopefully the extended-off thing will fix the screen and that won't be necessary. Thanks for reminding me of that possibility, though (and good memory that I got my unit at Circuit City).

I used a kyo6035 for about 18 months. It came with a cradle. Putting the phone in the cradle activated the screen. If I pressed and held the ir button, the backlight came on and stayed on while in the cradle. Never noticed any burnin there and while you can say apples<>oranges, monochrome screens shouldn't be any more immune to burnin than color screens.
    Oh? I thought there were some fundamental differences between monochrome and color screens, that causes, for example, monochrome screens to be much easier to read outdoors, even in the absence of reflective or transflective screen technology.
    Here is one option:

:shortcut: .3

Open a new memo:

Type the following into the new memo:

:shortcut: .3 without any spaces.

The :shortcut: is keyed by pressing "s" then the list key button "...".

The text will then change to "[No Auto-off]"

This will turn the auto off feature off only when the lid is open
  8.    #8  
    Okay, I've posted a review of OnCradleOn to PalmGear.com warning of this problem (not up yet -- guess it has to be approved by the editors).

I've also emailed the author asking if he can add a feature to allow the auto-off timeout to just be increased (by a selectable number of minutes) rather than being disabled entirely. And I suggested that if he doesn't have time for that that he should at least release a new version with a warning in the README files about the possibility of LCD burn-in.

BTW, OnCradleOn comes with GPL'd source, so if the author doesn't come through (he may not even be receiving mail at his address from 2000, though at least it hasn't bounced back yet), any other Palm OS programmer who has an interest in this could add the feature...
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Here is one option:

Open a new memo:

where did you find this info? and if i delete the memo, does it go back to normal? also i noticed that ":shortcut:" + any other "." and numbers also bring up interesting commands. what do they all mean?
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Here is one option:

Open a new memo:

Oh! Thanks, miller. I had come across that when doing the search that culminated in OnCradleOn, but I apparently I mis-read the description -- I thought it only worked until the next time you closed the lid. According to this post, though, it works until you reset the unit (confirmed experimentally).

This is definitely an acceptable solution. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/21/2003 at 07:11 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by 003oret
    where did you find this info? and if i delete the memo, does it go back to normal? also i noticed that ":shortcut:" + any other "." and numbers also bring up interesting commands. what do they all mean?
    In the "disabling auto poweroff" thread whose post I link to above, there's a list of what the various '.' shortcuts do.

According to my testing, you can delete the memo and auto-off will remain disabled while the lid is open. You have to reset the unit to put things back to normal. Leaving the memo around will not cause the auto-off disable to come back after a reset -- you need to type the special shortcut again.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/21/2003 at 07:11 PM.
    I understand you Dan Harkless but you have to admit the program is straight forward "oncradleon". The only time I use this feature is when I am in my car driving at night and have it in the car holder. I really wouldn't see a use for it any other time. True if you take any other cell phone in the market when it is connected to AC power the screen stays lit. But as we can all attest the treo is not any other phone on the market(it's a flashlight). I'm guess Handspring made the auto shut off at 3 minutes because they knew it would have an effect on the screen during longer periods.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    In the "disabling auto poweroff" thread whose post I link to above, there's a list of what the various '.' shortcuts do.

According to my testing, you can delete the memo and auto-off will remain disabled while the lid is open. You have to reset the unit to put things back to normal. Leaving the memo around will not cause the auto-off disable to come back after a reset -- you need to type the special shortcut again.
    [/QUOTE
    Thanx Dan!!
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by Bagbklyn
    I understand you Dan Harkless but you have to admit the program is straight forward "oncradleon". The only time I use this feature is when I am in my car driving at night and have it in the car holder. I really wouldn't see a use for it any other time.
    That's fine for you, but I do have a use for it at other times. I am often sitting at my PC with my Treo open (and plugged into AC), alternating between my Treo's screen and my PC's, and my time spent on my PC often exceeds the auto-off timeout (sometimes just slightly) and it's annoying to have to double-click the unit back on.

True if you take any other cell phone in the market when it is connected to AC power the screen stays lit. But as we can all attest the treo is not any other phone on the market(it's a flashlight). I'm guess Handspring made the auto shut off at 3 minutes because they knew it would have an effect on the screen during longer periods.
    Yes, probably so. Would have been nice if they'd warned about in the manual, though, since of course they were aware that there's third-party software that allows you to change things like the maximum auto-off timeout.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by 003oret
    Thanx Dan!!
    Sure thing. Now if only someone would write a hack that auto-types the shortcut sequence for you upon reset (if this is possible).

In the meantime I guess I'll just leave a memo around with the instructions (though there doesn't appear to be a way to put a literal :shortcut: character in a memo).
    I posted a burn-in thread over at brighthand and I got some different responses.

The screen is LCD technology, not CRT. Can LCD's have burn-in's? Watches have LCD's and are on 24/7....
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by MitzEclipse
    I posted a burn-in thread over at brighthand and I got some different responses.

The screen is LCD technology, not CRT. Can LCD's have burn-in's? Watches have LCD's and are on 24/7....
    Sorry, but the "pundits" over there are wrong! I'm looking at the burned-in images from the SMS notification and Date Book+ screens on my Treo's display right now (they have gotten quite a bit better since I removed OnCradleOn, though -- hopefully a few more nights with the screen off and the images will be gone, without having to do the screen-off-for-two-days-straight thing).

I know that the screen is not a CRT. I said in my original post:

The Treo 300's screen is susceptible to burn-in, just like (particularly older) CRTs! I had read in multiple places that LCDs were never susceptible to screen burn-in, so I hadn't been watching for this phenomenon.
    Clearly, though, certain LCD screens are susceptible to this, just like CRTs. This post, by someone who does installation of LCDs at GM, verifying that this is the case, says it's only newer LCDs that suffer from this. Perhaps some change that was made to decrease power consumption resulted in the susceptibility to burn-in.

As to the LCDs in watches, yes, obviously they are not susceptible to burn-in, but those black segment displays are quite a different technology than the color passive matrix displays in the Treo 300 (other than the fact that they're both liquid crystal).
    Originally posted by Bagbklyn
    I understand you Dan Harkless but you have to admit the program is straight forward "oncradleon". The only time I use this feature is when I am in my car driving at night and have it in the car holder. .
    i WOULD LIKE TO USE ONCRADLEON WHILE DRIVING (DAY OR NITE), WHICH IS ONLY AN HOUR OR SO EVERY FEW DAYS. I WOULD LIKE TO DISABLE ONCRADLEON THE REST OF THE TIME.

WILL THERE BE A SCREEN BURN PROBLEM IF I SUE ONCRADLEON AS I HAVE JUST WRITTEN?

THNAKS, JAY
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    i WOULD LIKE TO USE ONCRADLEON WHILE DRIVING (DAY OR NITE), WHICH IS ONLY AN HOUR OR SO EVERY FEW DAYS. I WOULD LIKE TO DISABLE ONCRADLEON THE REST OF THE TIME.

WILL THERE BE A SCREEN BURN PROBLEM IF I SUE ONCRADLEON AS I HAVE JUST WRITTEN?

THNAKS, JAY
    I would guess you wouldn't have a problem with a schedule like that. You can certainly try it out, though. Since the burn-in is reversible, there's no risk.

If you can leave the Treo's lid open while you drive, then rather than enabling and disabling OnCradleOn, you could use the :shortcut:.3 trick.

(I still wish someone would come up with a Hack to enable the :shortcut:.3 feature automatically after soft resets.)
    thanx, jay