Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm currently debating between buying the Treo 300 versus the samsung I330

Of the Cons for buying the treo
    Single Band, vs dual Band, no analog roaming (hence reception is not as good as the i330)
    Does not have JAVA enabled web browsing (no hotmail.com)
    Battery Life sucks and you can't replace the battery
    33mHz processor versus I330's 66mHz processor
    50 bucks more than the i330 at $300 at amazon.com after rebate

Cons for buying the Samsung i330
    Does not have the nice thumboard
    Does not have the nice plastic screen cover
    Display is only 256 colors, but larger display than the treo
    is overall a little bit larger phone

I live in the Berkeley CA, area and mainly will be using the device as a phone, but also would like to surf the web as well as use PALMNVC to access my computer at home. I would like to purchase a sprint phone and get the unlimited PCS vision plan before they end the promotion.
    I'm also thinking of just buying the costco Samsung A500 phone for 200 bucks and then returning it after either the samsung i700 or the new hitachi ppc phone comes out in May. But these are pocket pc phones and can't use PalmVNC. ALthough they will have larger amount of RAM to download MP3's straight from the web, and a camera for video conferencing.

Any suggestions?
  2. jmw
    Originally posted by ltso
    I'm currently debating between buying the Treo 300 versus the samsung I330

Single Band, vs dual Band, no analog roaming (hence reception is not as good as the i330)
    Battery Life sucks and you can't replace the battery
    33mHz processor versus I330's 66mHz processor
    50 bucks more than the i330 at $300 at amazon.com after rebate

Cons for buying the Samsung i330
    Does not have the nice thumboard
    Does not have the nice plastic screen cover
    Display is only 256 colors, but larger display than the treo
    is overall a little bit larger phone

I live in the Berkeley CA, area and mainly will be using the device as a phone, but also would like to surf the web as well as use PALMNVC to access my computer at home. I would like to purchase a sprint phone and get the unlimited PCS vision plan before they end the promotion.
    I'm also thinking of just buying the costco Samsung A500 phone for 200 bucks and then returning it after either the samsung i700 or the new hitachi ppc phone comes out in May. But these are pocket pc phones and can't use PalmVNC. ALthough they will have larger amount of RAM to download MP3's straight from the web, and a camera for video conferencing.

Any suggestions?
    I ended up going with the treo in spite of its limitations, for these reasons:

1) I very rarely need analog or digital roam. (Once or twice per year) When i really need it, i can get a cheap tri-mode phone as backup.

2) The battery life really isn't bad at all. Certainly no worse than the i330's predecessor, the i300.

3) The keyboard - trying to write an email or instant message using the other palmphones' graffiiti or the "virtual keyboard" is tiring, slow, and just not worth the effort. I can't begin to tell you what a huge difference the keyboard makes. It rocks!

4) The treo came out first

To be honest, if the i330 had the keyboard, it would have been the clear winner.
    You might want to take a good look at the display on the i330. While it is taller (higher res) the actual work space (160x160 area) is smaller than the treo. Open a memo and compare the size of the text and you will see what i mean. The treo screen is already small but the i330 screen is tiny.

It does feel nice in your hand though.

Reception generally refers to the quality of the signal. The phone being dual-band just means that when you are out of the regular service area, you can still get an analog signal. Meaning, if you travel to rural areas where there is analog coverage, you can still make phone calls. Check Sprint's service maps for more details.

Neither does the I330, it uses Blazer by default as well.
    Thanks for the info
    I just got the treo300 yesterday and so far I like it.
    Though I still wonder if i should wait for the pocket PC phones
    Since the battery isn't exchangeable, even though its LiOn, wont it one day lose its charge?
    It will eventually lose its charge and by then, you should be on to the next gadget...I know I will!

The I330, by the way, has a 33 MHz processor, despite the rumor that it was 66 MHz. Check out the Samsung website for the specs. All in all, not a worthy upgrade to the I300, IMHO. You can't do MO-SMS, although I have heard that PDA Apps is working on something like Treo300SMS for the I330. The screen sucks. I looked at the I330 side by side with my treo and it looked washed out. Apparently, you can see the I330 screen in the sun but that info comes from the I330 board and they seem overjoyed with this screen (they seem a wee bit biased, in my opinion, and they say nasty things about the Treo, so what do they know??!! ) I would wait for the I500 from Samsung. It looks sweet and will have the WAP browser as well as Blazer.
    ltso,

I live in Oakland, CA myself, yet i work in berkeley. I used to have the Kyocera 6035 which was a tri band and the quality of that was better, yet because of the Treo 300's built in keyboard, I bought the Treo 300 (from a guy on ebay for 350 like new!).

I must say to everyone that the Treo 300 is worth every penny I spent on it. I have tried many phones before. First, I tried prepaid but that was not cost effective, nor did they have any features. I then got the Kyocera 6035 which had great features, but like others, I wanted a REAL keyboard instead of the crappy on screen one or some add on being bigger than the actual phone. Believe me, if you write alot of email like I do, it really does make all the difference. The keys are small, but I can type very effectively with it.

I really don't care if the Treo 300 is single band. I get great reception pretty much anwhere in the bay area (in SF, the reception is perfect!). I don't travel outside my area much due to school, work, girlfriend, etc, so I don't need to worry about roaming.

Besides the built in keyboard, I have to say that the Treo 300's best features are wireless web, nice clear color screen (I hate green Palms!), and just the fact that I like Palms since there is so much software out there. I don't make many phone calls (I mostly use email), but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

It really all comes down to your needs and prefferences. Since I commute alot, yet hardly use the phone much and like email wherever I go, the Treo 300 fit my needs nicely.
    "Living is the only thing worth dying for."
    Oh yea, to add, there are work arounds for many issues facing the Treo.

The non JAVA browser issue isn't much of a problem. Though I will be getting rid of my hotmail account soon due to constant spam, I used a web gateway site for it to log into my account.

Verichat, which I use for AOL IM, Yahoo IM, and MSN Messanger, has been nothing but great to me, since I can recieve messages even if my phone is not online (must be in wireless mode though).

The battery issue isnt a problem either because my phone seems to hold a charge quite nicely, and I know there exists some add on for the Treo to use regular AA batteries.

So whatever shortcommings the Treo 300 has, there is a workaround, it seems.
    "Living is the only thing worth dying for."
    camera for video conferencing.
    What pocketpc app does videoconferencing? I thought it was only a still camera?
    David
    Sorry the video conferencing is just something I assumed since your on a high speed network 144 kb/s and you have an integrated camera, only makes sense that some kind of video conferencing will be available.
    So what about the hitachi pocket pc phone coming out in june.
    It seems to have a thumbpad, exchangeable battery pack. And a more powerful pocket pc operating system. All for 500 bucks!

http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2852.html
    sorry for the double post
    One thing is common between I330 and Treo 300: both lack full SMS capabilities. Atleast now we have Treo300SMS for Treo 300 from PDAapps.
    When are they going to release similar SMS application for I330? Any clue?
    amda
    Regarding hotmail being inaccessible:

There is a way to access hotmail on the Treo, even through Blazer. (I purchased Xiino, and like it much better, although the images are not as nice...)

I must say, I like Hotmail's solution better than Sprint's mobile solution for checking mail. Hotmail uses a stripped down HTML solution. Yahoo!'s is linked-text based, so it is very hard to navigate. Just try to delete 10 messages using mobile.yahoo.com, and compare it to Hotmail's. Of course, Yahoo! probably wrote their version for pure text based phones, rather than PDAs with browsers.

If there's an easier way to check Yahoo! mail than using the link below, please post!
    BTW: How do you log out from MSN Hotmail Mobile?

Yahoo! Mobile Mail:
    http://p5.oa.yahoo.com/raw?dp=mail
    or click the Mail link @ http://p5.oa.yahoo.com

MSN Hotmail Mobile:
    http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx

(of course, I have since started using Eudora and popping my mail and will soon use both Yahoo and Hotmail for junk mail.)
    Originally posted by Amda
    One thing is common between I330 and Treo 300: both lack full SMS capabilities. Atleast now we have Treo300SMS for Treo 300 from PDAapps.
    When are they going to release similar SMS application for I330? Any clue?
    I just noticed on www.pdaapps.com that PDAapps now has a SMS app. for the I330.

Spiderman
    So I also just got the I330 to compare the two side by side.
    My conclusions so far are
    The Samsung is faster, 66 mHz versus Treo's 33
    Various websites say either 66 or 33, but you can tell its faster

What's the use of a thumboard if blazer runs slower, I mean you don't really use the thumboard all that much when your surfing the web supposedly the critical thing holding the treo back from faster web surfing is its slow processor.

the i330 also allows for you to record voice messages to yourself

The replaceable battery is longer lasting than the treo and the extra battery that comes with it is tiny!

The i330 is 100 bucks less than the treo!

Whats holding the i330 back is the lower resolution 256 color screen, but that helps to improve battery life.
    Also the thumbpad would be nice. But is all that really worth the extra 100 bucks!

The i330 also comes with some nicer free polyphonic ring tones that just sound nicer than the treo's

HELP I can't decide!!!
    So I also just got the I330 to compare the two side by side.
    My conclusions so far are
    The Samsung is faster, 66 mHz versus Treo's 33
    Various websites say either 66 or 33, but you can tell its faster

What's the use of a thumboard if blazer runs slower, I mean you don't really use the thumboard all that much when your surfing the web supposedly the critical thing holding the treo back from faster web surfing is its slow processor.

the i330 also allows for you to record voice messages to yourself

The replaceable battery is longer lasting than the treo and the extra battery that comes with it is tiny!

The i330 is 100 bucks less than the treo!

Whats holding the i330 back is the lower resolution 256 color screen, but that helps to improve battery life.
    Also the thumbpad would be nice. But is all that really worth the extra 100 bucks!

The i330 also comes with some nicer free polyphonic ring tones that just sound nicer than the treo's

HELP I can't decide!!!
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Go on AIM or Yahoo or whatever chat program and tell me the thumb-board isnt useful.

Write an email...

Write an address... a note.. a memo.. use one of the many apps that use writing...
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say. You don't use your desktop keyboard when you are surfing the web that much either, maybe ya better get rid of it
    I think it's a little weird coming to a fourm full of treo users and asking them why you should get the treo over the I330. Then state that the I330 is better then the treo. Then why waste everybodies time. We all love our Treo's so you shold know where we stand. The treo for us is the best things since slice bread and until handspring comes out with a better one we all swear by our treo 300. And once you put the treo down you are also putting the owner and that is why some people will take offense to your comments.
    oh good lord! take a chill pill dude. or get laid...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast