Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by ltso
    So I also just got the I330 to compare the two side by side.
    My conclusions so far are
    The Samsung is faster, 66 mHz versus Treo's 33
    Various websites say either 66 or 33, but you can tell its faster

What's the use of a thumboard if blazer runs slower, I mean you don't really use the thumboard all that much when your surfing the web supposedly the critical thing holding the treo back from faster web surfing is its slow processor.

the i330 also allows for you to record voice messages to yourself

The replaceable battery is longer lasting than the treo and the extra battery that comes with it is tiny!

The i330 is 100 bucks less than the treo!

Whats holding the i330 back is the lower resolution 256 color screen, but that helps to improve battery life.
    Also the thumbpad would be nice. But is all that really worth the extra 100 bucks!

The i330 also comes with some nicer free polyphonic ring tones that just sound nicer than the treo's

HELP I can't decide!!!
    By coincidence, I today had a fellow lawyer pull out that Samsung model and start showing it off, and telling everyone why he chose it over the Kyocera and the Treo, the latter of which he had only seen in a picture.

I politely pulled out my Treo, and handed it to him. After a few questions, he made it clear he was going to go back to his office and look up his receipt and see if he could take it back to Sprint and get a Treo 300 like mine instead. He gave me at least 8-10 reasons for his regret and his hope he could still make the exchange.

But if it makes you happier, by all means buy the Samsung and look for the "SamsungCentral" board.

Go in peace!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    I returned my Treo300 yesterday, all because the battery life was awful after having two of them. I am considering the I330 as well and what is making me think of it is being able to have a back up battery (Extended). In the two weeks I had the two Treo's the battery ran down totally and my $500 device was usless until I could get to a charger. I liked the Treo except for the battery.
  3. jmw
    So I also just got the I330 to compare the two side by side.
    My conclusions so far are
    The Samsung is faster, 66 mHz versus Treo's 33
    Various websites say either 66 or 33, but you can tell its faster

What's the use of a thumboard if blazer runs slower, I mean you don't really use the thumboard all that much when your surfing the web supposedly the critical thing holding the treo back from faster web surfing is its slow processor.
    Sorry, dude, it's all in your head. Both the treo and the i330 have a 33 Mhz processor.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I have an original Apple Newton...Now paperweight

I have a Palm V...Now paperweight

I have a Palm Vx...with a bankrupt companies wireless modem...Paperweight...

Rex...Paperweight...

Treo 300....My favorite gadget in the world (for now...) It all came down that for all intents and purposes, a PDA without a keyboard is a read only device. I NEVER could get any handwriting recognition to work worth a damn. Far faster to write notes on a yellow pad, and key them in when I got back to the office when you look at total productivity...

Now the Treo changed all that. I agree the battery sux, but considering they realize it and throw in a free car charger, as long as I dock it in the car, I never ran completely out yet...
    Mark F Chinsky
    Originally posted by Tonya
    I returned my Treo300 yesterday, all because the battery life was awful after having two of them. I am considering the I330 as well and what is making me think of it is being able to have a back up battery (Extended). In the two weeks I had the two Treo's the battery ran down totally and my $500 device was usless until I could get to a charger. I liked the Treo except for the battery.
    I hope I don't jinx myself by writing this, but please bear in mind that not all of us are having any battery problems at all.

Check the board - if you are not looking specifically for reports by those having such problems, I think you will see that the overwhelming majority of posts are from folks using and enjoying their Treos immensely, which of course couldn't be happening if they were all encountering such battery drain problems.

The general consensus seems to be that it boils down to either the Treo constantly seeking a signal in a weak SprintPCS area; or not setting your web programs to disconnect on quit.

Then again you may have a defective Treo, which could have been replaced.

While we all have a right to expect quality in released products, also bear in mind that these are cutting edge technologies, and we are the early adopters. I am old enough to remember all kinds of problems and challenges with early introductions of color tv, vcrs, computers (and let's not forget all versions of "Windows"!) ad infinitum up to the present. (In fact, I am old enough to remember excitedly and appreciatively listening to AM radio stations with lots of static!)

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    I agree with NateS. I've had my Treo for about 2 weeks now and I have it checking my multiple pop 3 accounts every 10 mins from 8 am to midnight. The battery is down to about 35 - 40% when I plug it in each night (I'm very light on phone use; generally only a couple of short calls). The $10 vision plan is a revelation; but it's hard for me to imagine that Sprint will make money on it, so I'm not particuarly hopeful for the long term. With free nights and weekends I never go over my 300 monthly plan minutes, and I suck a lot of data over the network each day (browsing, using Wireless Modem, etc. in addition to email). Sprint is surely not making money on me; I wonder how true that is of others.

In other words, I have not experienced the massive battery drain problems many other people seem to be having. Then again I generally have 2+ bars of signal strength most of the places I frequent.

I also agree with Nate that YMMV when you're out on the edge in early adopter land. I've got to say that I think my Treo is the coolest gadget I'ver ever had, and I'm full bore on the gadget bandwagon with a TiBook, iPod, digicam, GPS, etc. etc.

If it's not good enough for you, just wait 6 months. At this point, for me, the curves intersect and the Treo will be my constant companion until the next cool connected wireless handheld comes out. I hope that that will prove to be the next gen Treo, but I'll go where the technology and service is best (well at least once my year-long contract expires).

I completely recommend the Treo 300, at least in my home service area (Ithaca, NY), and can't imagine that the i330 would be anywhere close without the thumb-board. The first time you write out a multi-paragraph email I think you'll be convinced.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    The $10 vision plan is a revelation; but it's hard for me to imagine that Sprint will make money on it, so I'm not particuarly hopeful for the long term.
    As long as you have it now, sprint wont change your plan.

-rob
    I'm currently debating between buying the Treo 300 versus the samsung I330
    I have a question for you about Web Clipping (i.e. PQAs). My understanding is that the I300/I330 are PalmOS 3.5.x, and come with Web Clipping libraries. What I'd like to confirm is whether they support color through PQAs or if they are limited like the other <= 3.5.x Web Clipping libraries.

The reason I ask is that 4.0 and greater Web Clipping supports color, and also does away with an apparent 16K limitation of page size. The 16K is bugging the heck out of me and I don't know any way around it other than to use a proxy such as vagabond which can paginate.

I have found the 4.0 Web Clipping libraries to be incompatible with the Treo 300. So what I'd like to know is if Samsung has a custom build of the Web Clipping libraries with color support and other 4.0 features, and yet will run on 3.5.x PalmOS devices. That would be cool
    can someone tell me the EASIEST way to access my Hotmail acct. on TREO please. I have used the link about but it is a real pain in the **** to have to type in all my info each time. Is there any way around that nonsense?
    Originally posted by jfscars48
    can someone tell me the EASIEST way to access my Hotmail acct. on TREO please. I have used the link about but it is a real pain in the **** to have to type in all my info each time. Is there any way around that nonsense?
    Extremely off-topic but I would suggest you try out 2banywhere's email program at www.2banywhere.com . Right now it's free during the beta period.

Scott
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12