Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I put together 20 more ringtones into two PDBs, bringing my collection to 28 total. They are available at My Web Site .

Those of you who recall my first small set know that I shoot for song-based (sorry, ringtone purists!), short (15-30 seconds), small (less than 10k - more than that might reset the phone) tones with either interesting rythms or solid nostalgia value.

That said, included in the new PDBs are:

The Animals (Rising Sun),

Bowie (Rebel Rebel),

Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go),

Cake (Never There and Going The Distance),

Fleetwood Mac (Rhiannon),

Roxy Music (Love is the Drug),

Isaac Hayes (Shaft - my current "known caller" ring),

Stevie Wonder (Superstition),

Stones (Angie),

Tori Amos (Winter),

Traffic (Freedom Rider),

Village People (YMCA),

Procol Harem (Whiter Shade of Pale),

Gipsy Kings (Bandoleo),

Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing),

Soft Cell (Tainted Love),

Sex Pistols (My Way),

Peter Gabriel (Solsbury Hill),

and the Cranberries (Linger).

Again, the ringtones are HERE, not at the site in my signature.

Enjoy!
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    some neat songs, peter. for some reason i had trouble with the midi's i could find of 'house of the rising sun'...

BTW i think TCRinger will be coming out soon and as we worked on that the developers came out with some limitations on what length and size of tones will be usable. based on their experience and handpring's recommendations, 9 K is TCRinger's limit and it won't even allow you to install a tone larger than that, and handspring recommends about a 20 second max.

you might want to work with those (or you might not give a hoot! )
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I just d/l these and will give a listen later.

I just got my 300 a week ago and started working on ringers myself. I've used Anvil Studio also with great success. I don't have a place to store ringers that I create. Would you be willing to host them?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    When I load these, two of them are named jan14 (Internally), so I can't load all three at once. Thought you should know...
  5.    #5  
    Hmm... I had the "Jan 14" weirdness, too (that being the name of my test batch), and I thought it was a local problem. I'll recreate the PDBs. and repost.

Aaron - I'm in the TCRinger beta group (from the start) and I'm aware of the limit. 90% of the tones are 4k or less, none over 9k. These ring tones run about 20-30 seconds. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've usually answered the call by that point. :-)
  6.    #6  
    Okay, my mixed up PDB files are no longer mixed up (don't take shortcuts with that PDB creating web page!) . I tested them before posting this.

If you downloaded thembefore 9:40 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 18, please download and sync again (from my logs, it looks like around 15 people have). Sorry for the glitch!

Ringtone collections

Thunderbroom - I can host your ringtones on the page, with the provisos that I'm not anticipating a lot of files/maintenance. My job and three year old keep me pretty busy, and take priority over web projects. Send me the PDB(s) , song list, and any notes you might want on the page. My personal email is psc at krazy.com (I don't write it in regular format to avoid spammers mining the address).
    Originally posted by pcampbell
    I'm in the TCRinger beta group (from the start) and I'm aware of the limit. 90% of the tones are 4k or less, none over 9k. These ring tones run about 20-30 seconds. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've usually answered the call by that point. :-)
    i just mentioned it because in your post you referred to 10k and 30 seconds... you probably read in the beta section that scott was able to reproduce a reset with one particular tone, and i have had no problem with it... i think it also can depend on what other software is on the treo.

it has surprised me that some tones i expect to be large are small and vice versa. must be something i am not aware of in the basic structure of the midi file that we start off with...

by the way you mention on your site you might have gotten some from my set but nothing looks familiar. thanks for thinking of it though...

there are so many songs out there. i have about 35 new tones, working on second set.
    Last edited by aarons12; 01/18/2003 at 12:36 PM.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by aarons12

it has surprised me that some tones i expect to be large are small and vice versa. must be something i am not aware of in the basic structure of the midi file that we start off with...

I did run into a few MIDIs that I couldn't reduce to a decent size at all. A 15 second snippet of "Walk on the Wild Side", with about eight instruments, wouldn't save any smaller than 24k, so I abandoned it. I'm completely at a loss as to what makes the size difference, as there was no discernable difference in sound quality.
    i have a feeling it may have something to do with 'blank' tracks in the song, or unusual instruments that are not showing up in anvil but were in the original midi file. could also depend on who made the original file and what kind of program they used.

occasionally GNMidi was able to wring a couple of K out of a file, but no drastic reductions in size...
    Have any of you thought of making "Take me out to the ballgame" as a ring tone? I have had it on my cingular phone and would like it on my Treo 300.
    Tonya (hey, that's my sister's name, and she lives in Georgia too!),

I'll make you one if you'd like. You'll need to PM me an email address that I can send you the pdb file. The original file is around 55 seconds and will need to be shortened. How long should I make it, 15 seconds? 10 seconds?

Let me know.
    They're polyphonic ringtones. I'm not sure if you can use them on the 180/270, but you won't be able to hear the full sound of them.
  14.    #14  
    As Thunderbroom said, they're polyphonic, and the 300 is the only Treo that supports that. The advantage is that you get great sound on the 300. The disadvantage is that, unless you can roll your own, finding ringtones that actually work on the 300 is a pain.

I have no idea what these will sound like on the 180 or 270, and can't warrant that it will be at all pleasant.
    Do I need TCRinger beta for the Treo or Ringo to make these ring tones work? Or can I just install the .pdb files?

Which is recomended more TCRinger beta for Treo or Ringo?
    Roger
    Originally posted by RLewis
    Do I need TCRinger beta for the Treo or Ringo to make these ring tones work? Or can I just install the .pdb files?

Which is recomended more TCRinger beta for Treo or Ringo?
    You'll need either the TCRinger beta or Ringo to install these. Just installing the .pdb files won't do anything. For the Treo 300, the ringtones must be copied to the radio; currently only the TCRinger beta or Ringo can do that.

If you're on the TCRinger beta list, I'd recommend using that as people have reported that it is more stable than Ringo. Of course I'm biased as I wrote TCRinger.
  17.    #17  
    I just modified my web page to add a plug for TCRinger. Scott can say this more definitively than I can, but it looks like it will be out of beta by the end of the month. My review: It has a cleaner interface than Ringo, and a more logical, simple way of moving tones in and out of the system file. It also is more reliable about moving ringtones - they sometimes get "stuck" in Ringo and can't be removed. But TCRinger lacks the picture caller ID functionality that Ringo has - that requires an additional purchase.
    Originally posted by pcampbell
    I just modified my web page to add a plug for TCRinger. Scott can say this more definitively than I can, but it looks like it will be out of beta by the end of the month. My review: It has a cleaner interface than Ringo, and a more logical, simple way of moving tones in and out of the system file. It also is more reliable about moving ringtones - they sometimes get "stuck" in Ringo and can't be removed. But TCRinger lacks the picture caller ID functionality that Ringo has - that requires an additional purchase.
    ditto the above review
    Can I still sign up for the beta of TCRinger? Who should I contact/email?
    Roger
    Supposedly the Wireless Web Digital Link and the Treo 300 are very similar. Does Ringo and some of these ringtones work with it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast