Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by pcampbell
    If you didn't design the page, maybe the author is reading this and can contact me. I have personal messaging enabled below.
    Marcus did that page; I'm sure he's reading this. As for contacting me directly, there's a reason that it's hard to find out how to contact me...I don't want to be contacted :-)
  2.    #42  
    Originally posted by sgruby

As for contacting me directly, there's a reason that it's hard to find out how to contact me...I don't want to be contacted :-)
    And I carry my Treo (bought on my own dime; pay for my own plan) rather than a company-supplied Nextel because there's no way I'm going to let my staff (IT and Facilities) radio me at any hour. But you can email me. ;-)
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Peter,

I would have no problem letting you look at the script, but I gotta be somewhat careful because we are about to launch polyphonic ringtones in our ringtone section, and I don't want there to be too many free alternatives out there.

The reason we charge for the ringtone is that we are required to pay several licensing fees for tones to stay legel - one for the notes and a seperate performing license. That's about 40center per tone. Throw in a 40 cent transaction charge and we are making a whopping 20 cent per ringtone (unless they are purchased in bulk).

It is very easy to make .pdb mid file. All you have to do is build the hearders, and then append the binary midi information.

Marcus
  4.    #44  
    I sent a private reply to Marcus, but it got me thinking.

When I bought my Treo in October, like many of us, I went hunting for Ringtones, only to find that there was little or nothing for the Treo 300, and what tones there were came in huge bundles where one out of 100 tones were songs that I might have wanted for a ringtone.

I was proposing setting up a "roll your own" website, where you can preview and build a hand-picked selection of ringtones for download. Marcus mentions (quite understandably) that he's shy about handing over code to a free web site that would compete with his commercial product.

So, here's a deal, Marcus: I'll take down my competing site if you implement my idea for your ringtone store. Instead of, or in addition to, selling big packages with tons of ringtones that your customers don't want, offer a "roll your own" setup and charge by the Ringtone. I know that I would feel like I was getting more value paying ten dollars for ten tones that I'd previewed and selected based on my personal tastes than I would buying a huge package of tones with only two or three that I want for the same price.

Note: You did not get my business with the one-size-fits-all approach. Instead, I was motivated to figure out how to do it myself, and started giving away what you want to sell. And it really wasn't all that difficult

So, what do you think about my offer?
    Peter,

You have always been able to preview and add single ringtones to the cart in the Ringtone store. After the checkout is completed, you have access to your unqiue .pdb album. That's why I wrote the script in the first place

We have never sold packages, nor are planning on it. The only package deal we have is that when you buy TC Ringer you get five ringtones for free (however you can choose which ones).

We will shortly add Polyphonic ringtones to the store (in time for the TC Ringer 300 launch). I will contact you privately to discuss purchasing the tones you created.

Marcus
    i have no problem 'unbundling' my ringtones... i packaged them mainly because i don't have the ability to write all this code you guys are talking about, and the only reason i started selling them to start with was to cover costs of buying the programs to make them.

on the other hand, $7 for 50 means that even if you only get a few you like, you have not exactly wasted a lot of money. anyway, i leave that to people smarter than me...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  7.    #47  
    Originally posted by marcus
    Peter,

You have always been able to preview and add single ringtones to the cart in the Ringtone store. After the checkout is completed, you have access to your unqiue .pdb album. That's why I wrote the script in the first place
    Oops! How embarrassing, but you're right, and, looking it over, I remember that now.

So, you've lived up to your end. I'm going to take my ringtone site down. I'll post a new thread pointing people to the Ringtone tab, with a suggestion that my tones might well end up there.
    This database is the default database for ringtones on the Treo 300. You can copy tones into this database. However, those tones can only be used for the Unknown, Known and Roaming tone. They cannot be used for assigning tones to people in speed dial. The database is pretty much worthless in my opinion.
    It's the default database for all ringtones or the default database for add-on ones? I didn't have that database backed up, yet after my post-dead-battery HotSync restore I still had all my factory ringtones, assigned appropriately. Is that because the factory ringtones were also sitting in NVRAM in the radio, or...?
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    It's the default database for all ringtones or the default database for add-on ones? I didn't have that database backed up, yet after my post-dead-battery HotSync restore I still had all my factory ringtones, assigned appropriately. Is that because the factory ringtones were also sitting in NVRAM in the radio, or...?
    Default for add-on ones. The ringtones that came with the Treo (and ones installed Ringo or the TC Ringer beta) are stored in the NVRAM in the radio. That database is, as I mentioned before, pretty much useless as the tones in it can only be used in some places on the Treo.
    Default for add-on ones. The ringtones that came with the Treo (and ones installed Ringo or the TC Ringer beta) are stored in the NVRAM in the radio. That database is, as I mentioned before, pretty much useless as the tones in it can only be used in some places on the Treo.
    Okay. Thanks much for lending your expertise here, Scott (despite not wanting to be contacted ). I'll follow up to the original "Backup question" thread where I first raised this question with a pointer to your answer.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Okay. Thanks much for lending your expertise here, Scott (despite not wanting to be contacted ). I'll follow up to the original "Backup question" thread where I first raised this question with a pointer to your answer.
    Information on the ringtones for the Treo 300 is supposed to be at: <http://www.handspring.com/developers...nesTreo300.pdf>. However, I think Handspring pulled it off the site (the link is there, but it links to nothing).

As to not wanting to be contacted, I have no problems to answering questions on the forums or mailing list, it's just that I don't like getting personal email where people ask me the same question 10 times. If I post here, I only have to answer once!
    I have Ringo, and I downloaded the ringers from this thread(great ringtones, BTW), and I find that my custom ringtones randomly change to the old Treo standard ringtones. For instance, if I have a ringer assigned to someone in my quickdial pages, sometimes a different ringer than the one I assigned rings, or in my ringer preferences, the "Professional" ringtone rings instead of the assigned custom ringer for known callers. Are these standard problems with Ringo? Is it that buggy?
    Originally posted by dsugarman
    I have Ringo, and I downloaded the ringers from this thread(great ringtones, BTW), and I find that my custom ringtones randomly change to the old Treo standard ringtones. For instance, if I have a ringer assigned to someone in my quickdial pages, sometimes a different ringer than the one I assigned rings, or in my ringer preferences, the "Professional" ringtone rings instead of the assigned custom ringer for known callers. Are these standard problems with Ringo? Is it that buggy?
    I have this problem too, and I think the problem may be with Ringo, NOT the Treo. One thing that has seemingling solved my problem...Each time I make a change to a ringer, I do a soft reset. (Be sure to go completely out of your phone preferences to the applications display BEFORE resetting) If I can remember to do that each time, I don't have the problem with ringers changing randomly.

Good luck.
  14.    #54  
    Originally posted by dsugarman
    This is a Ringo bug, which may (or may not) have been addressed in the most recent bug fix, 3.1g. Check your Help/About screen to see which version you have. Assuming it isn't 3.1g, go to electricpocket.com and download the demo (don't waste time looking for anything on the site even mentioning that a bug fix has been released - these people apparently do not communicate with their customers, or detail version changes). Install it (I didn't have to re-enter my reg code) and see if it solves the problem.

In Ringo's defense, judging from discussion in the TCRinger beta forum, Ringer-related resets are not necessarily attributable to Ringo. They could be a Treo problem, and are certainly exasperated by loading large ringtones (10k or greater).
    Originally posted by pcampbell
    In Ringo's defense, judging from discussion in the TCRinger beta forum, Ringer-related resets are not necessarily attributable to Ringo. They could be a Treo problem, and are certainly exasperated by loading large ringtones (10k or greater).
    There is a known issue with the Treo 300 that can cause it to do a soft reset when you copy ringtones to the radio. It is random and there is no way around it.
    Guys, I am telling you, doing a soft reset after making any changes to your ringer preferences, seals the deal.

If you do that, you shouldn't experience problems with random ringer problems.

By the way, I typically do a soft reset daily, anyway, because THERE IS A KNOWN caller ID bug that Handspring addresses on its website. Sometimes incoming calls will show a name but not a number, or vice versa and sometimes there is NO caller ID info until AFTER the call is answered or goes to voicemail (what good is that?). Handspring recommends soft resets to fix the problem. So after experiencing that annoying glitch on numerous occasions I have started doing a daily maintenance soft reset....works like a dream....no more intermittent problems

Kimberly
    Last edited by nchargreed; 01/22/2003 at 10:34 AM.
    The guy (Campbell) who generously made the free ringtones available has removed them from his web site. Did anyone get a copy of them they could e-mail me?

Thanks
    Anyone know of a Mac program that will allow me to edit midi's down in size? I'm assuming that's what the PC guys are doing with Anvil?? When converting to a .pdb, is it best to "bundle" them? If so, is there a specific file size that the .pdb has be under in order to prevent "buggy" Ringo behavior? Looking forward to TCRinger? Will there be a price break for registered Ringo users? What's the expected price point?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
  19.    #59  
    Originally posted by chrism
    Anyone know of a Mac program that will allow me to edit midi's down in size? I'm assuming that's what the PC guys are doing with Anvil?? When converting to a .pdb, is it best to "bundle" them? If so, is there a specific file size that the .pdb has be under in order to prevent "buggy" Ringo behavior?
    Can't answer the mac question, but I can tell you that I found Anvil by going to Shareware.com (CNet) and seraching for "MIDI Editor", then trying out a bunch of dog programs before I got to Anvil.

I'll leave the "maximum PDB size question to someone more knowledgeable. I always assume that memory is sacred, so they shouldn't get too big.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123