Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by RLewis
    Can I still sign up for the beta of TCRinger? Who should I contact/email?
    i think the beta is closed because they are almost ready to release the final version
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by mbordel
    Supposedly the Wireless Web Digital Link and the Treo 300 are very similar. Does Ringo and some of these ringtones work with it?
    I know that TC Ringer won't work with the Digital Link. I suspect the same of the Ringo.
    I was also wondering how I can get these ringtones to work.

Thanks.
  4.    #24  
    Originally posted by audi
    I was also wondering how I can get these ringtones to work.

Thanks.
    To get these working, you need the following:

1. A Sprint Treo 300 (These might work on other models, but they weren't designed for them and haven't been tested on them).

2. A Treo 300-compatible ringtone manager. At this point, the only commercially released Treo 300 compatible ringtone manager is Ringo. TCRinger's Treo 300 manager will be out very soon, and a number of people here are active in the beta test.

3. The ringtones, synced to your Treo.

4. Once all of that is combined, simply open the ringtone manager and add the tones to your system ringtone file (aka "radio" in TCRinger). If you use Ringo, be sure to use the menu "synchronize" command after copying the ringtones you want to the system.

5. Then, of course, you need to assign them in the Tones section of Prefs.

Note that bugs in the Treo operating system make the Treo less stable when dealing with ringtones, and you might experience warm resets. My ringtones are generally small in size, which means that they're less likely to cause problems than most commercially available sets.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Ringo has some serious bugs. It causes the headset button not to function properly and messes up the caller ID. This has been documented elsewhere on the discussion forum.

I purchased it and found that it causes too many problems to be worth leaving on my Treo. I contacted the manufacturer a month ago but haven't heard about any fixes in the works. My advice would be to try the other ring tone manager.
    I wanted to know that if once TC ringer comes out for the Treo300 can we use the midi files from this website 3gupload.com in tandem with TC ringer?
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by Bagbklyn
    I wanted to know that if once TC ringer comes out for the Treo300 can we use the midi files from this website 3gupload.com in tandem with TC ringer?
    I didn't want to register with this site, so I have to guess at the content, and give you these general guidelines:

1. If these are regular MIDI files, then you might be able to use them with the Treo 300. Or you might not. If the files end in something other than .MID, then they are probably not MIDI files. If they do, then they are not necessarily compatible with the Treo. I'm anything but a MIDI guru, but I note that the software I use to modify MIDI files for ringtones (Anvil Studio) has two options: "Save MIDI file", or "Export to MIDI Format 0 File". I use the latter. I had problems with the ringtones just saving them as what must be standard MIDI format. So I suspect that this is required, and may be a big factor as to whether you can get tones for standard 3g service to work.

2. To get the files on the Treo, they need to be placed in a .PDB file. If you save individual MIDI files to your hard drive, you can convert them to a PDB using the following web page, contributed by a TreoCentral employee (Scott- was that you?):

PDB Maker Page

3. If the files are 10k or larger, I don't recommend using them. We have it very well confirmed that size is a factor , and larger tones can either sound awful, reset your Treo, or both.

The Treo is not a normal PCS Vision device. Like many people here, I wasted a lot of time figuring that out, which could have been avoided if my salesperson had bothered to tell me. Instead of going to 3G sites, you'll be much better off hanging out at palm software archives, like palmgear.
    Originally posted by philipgood
    Ringo has some serious bugs. It causes the headset button not to function properly and messes up the caller ID. This has been documented elsewhere on the discussion forum.

I purchased it and found that it causes too many problems to be worth leaving on my Treo. I contacted the manufacturer a month ago but haven't heard about any fixes in the works. My advice would be to try the other ring tone manager.
    Your advice is generally well taken, IMO. However, I have a Treo300 and Ringo and I have never had a problem with it (headset works fine, callerID works fine, etc.). While I would love an alternative and will install TCRinger when available, the Ringo "problems" appear to be the result of different hacks not "playing" well with Ringo or visa versa. There has been two updates posted on the Electric Pocket web site since the first of the year to rather mixed reviews; albeit the latest seems to fix a lot of problems.

The end result...Your mileage may vary.
    have to agree that the worst problem i had with ringo was a couple of unruly ringtones that still showed up in the radio after i had 'deleted' them.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Not sure if I have this straight or not, downloaded the demo version of tcringer (1.01) installed that on my Treo300, then downloaded the ringtones from pcampbell (thanks!!), but they sound really bad, can't distinguish the songs. Now maybe the tcringer demo is the problem? I thought it doesn't work on the 300, but I downloaded it and installed it? Any insight?

thanks
    you can't use the demo version of tcringer on a treo300, the tones will sound awful sorry, could not resist. what we have been talking about in this and other threads is the BETA version, not the trial version currently available.

the final version for the 300 should be out maybe next week, i would think but its not up to me. meanwhile your only real choice would be the trial version of ringo.
    Originally posted by webninja
    Not sure if I have this straight or not, downloaded the demo version of tcringer (1.01) installed that on my Treo300, then downloaded the ringtones from pcampbell (thanks!!), but they sound really bad, can't distinguish the songs. Now maybe the tcringer demo is the problem? I thought it doesn't work on the 300, but I downloaded it and installed it? Any insight?

thanks
    TC Ringer 1.0.1 will not work properly on the Treo 300. While 1.0.1 will let you "play" sounds, it only plays sounds through the internal speaker and not through the radio. The internal speaker can't play polyphonic ringtones; the radio can. These tones are polyphonic and will sound like junk played through the internal speaker. (In addition 1.0.1 will not let you "enable" and therefore use the tones for individuals or groups.)

Please be patient, TC Ringer 1.0.2 which fully supports the Treo 300 should be out soon.
    aha - thanks everyone. I was under the impresion that tcringer didn't work at all for the 300, and when I installed it I thought I was using the beta (but it was the demo). I will wait.

thanks again.
  14.    #34  
    Originally posted by webninja

thanks
    The warning is still front and center on the Ringtones page that TCRinger doesn't work with the Treo 300. You'll need to wait for the 300-compatible version to be released.

As to Ringo, I have to report that I've never had any problems with Ringo, either - not even the stuck ringtones that others report. And I probably qualify as a power user. I prefer TCRinger - much nicer interface - but I doubt that I'll buy it, because I already paid for Ringo; it isn't (as far as I can tell) broken; and it includes the picture ID stuff. I'll likely remove TCRingerr and put Ringo back now that the beta period is done.
    Ringo doesn't work with the WWDL. Now, if we could just get someone to try to make it work...
    Originally posted by mbordel
    Ringo doesn't work with the WWDL. Now, if we could just get someone to try to make it work...
    What's WWDL?

Also, I wasn't aware there was an update to Ringo (you'd think that paying customers would be notified of this?). I've re-installed Ringo and will see how this new version works. When I originally purchased it and downloaded it over a month ago I found it had too many problems, as stated in a previous post. This was without any extra hacks or extensions and was installed on a brand new Treo.

I do like Ringo if it works properly but would like a little better response from the author regarding bugs and upgrades.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    have to agree that the worst problem i had with ringo was a couple of unruly ringtones that still showed up in the radio after i had 'deleted' them.
    That reminds me of a question I had. I recently had my Treo's battery go dead and I lost some things because they aren't set up by default to be backed up by a HotSync.

In the aftermath, I found out about and installed FileZ, which allows you to flip the Backup bit on programs and databases.

One (preinstalled) database that's not backed up by default is "MIDI Ring Tones". Can anyone (Scott Gruby?) comment on why that would be and whether it would be a good idea to set it to be backed up?
  18.    #38  
    In my early hacking with Ringtones, I set the backup bit on that file and subsequently had my Treo replaced when a pin bent and I lost the ability to charge. The old System file was copied to my new Treo on first sync and I haven't had any problems as a result.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    One (preinstalled) database that's not backed up by default is "MIDI Ring Tones". Can anyone (Scott Gruby?) comment on why that would be and whether it would be a good idea to set it to be backed up?
    This database is the default database for ringtones on the Treo 300. You can copy tones into this database. However, those tones can only be used for the Unknown, Known and Roaming tone. They cannot be used for assigning tones to people in speed dial. The database is pretty much worthless in my opinion.
  20.    #40  
    Scott -

I looked for a way to contact you directly and failed, so I assume you'll see this. I'm thinking about (on a time available basis) expanding my ringtone page to provide a "roll your own" option with my MIDIs available, as well as a way for people to contribute MIDIs. Did you develop the PHP script at http://www.treocentral.com/ringtones...0fun/index.php that I've been using to convert ringtones to PDAs, or was that someone else?

I do a lot of PHP development myself, and I have some questions about how that was developed (in particular, what tool creates the PDB, assuming a third-party tool is involved, and how can I get a copy of it, or, if that's prohibitively expensive, is there a way to interact with that script).

If I do this (still a big if), my page would be database developed with a selectable list of tones (name, musician, contributer, size, length) that a visitor could preview/select from and compile their own PDB. Poor man's version simply lets them download their choices and then sends them to the PDB page; rich man's version does it all in one step.

If you didn't design the page, maybe the author is reading this and can contact me. I have personal messaging enabled below.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast