1.    #1  
    I have been one of the very dissappointed uses of the Treo 300 because of the lack of two way SMS (from Sprint) or Push EMAIl. I was also very frustrated that AOL Instant Messaging crashes the Treo.

Well, I am lucky. My primary ISP (BellSouth) has the feature to allow automatic forwarding of EMail to another email address. I have set up the email account to autoforward a copy to Sprint SMS using

##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com

as the email address.

Now within seconds, I get an SMS with the body of the email forwarded to me. It is also truncated in length.

If I need the full Email message, I simply use Eudora to retrieve the full message. I can then reply with Eudora as I need to.

Main advantage is that I do not need to pay extra for a TreoMail subscription or to register with TreoSMS.

Compared to AIM, I do not need to have a dedicated AIM client open preventing other uses of the TREO.

This is not perfect, but it does work.
    This was also working for me for about a month and it was awesome until my provider Rogers (Canada) capped the size limit on e-mails being sent to the text messaging server to 10KB and therefore all e-mails greater then 10KB were bouncing back to the users - hopefully Spring won't do this to you.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by dgreensp
    This was also working for me for about a month and it was awesome until my provider Rogers (Canada) capped the size limit on e-mails being sent to the text messaging server to 10KB and therefore all e-mails greater then 10KB were bouncing back to the users - hopefully Spring won't do this to you.
    This should not happen since I am forwarding a copy to the Treo, keeping the "original" on the server. The bounce back should be to my server.

We will see over time...
    You would think it would bounce back to your server, but it actually bouces back to the original sender.

I used that method with three different email accounts forwarding messages to the @messaging.sprintpcs.com address and sprint bouces messages with attchements back to the original user.

It is frustrating because the sender thinks that their original message never made it to you when it fact it did (it just didn't get forwarded to your cell phone).

Give it a try by emailing yourself form another email address with an attachment. In a day or two it will bounce back (most of the time).

I even tried forwarding first to my yahoo account then forwarding to the cellphone, but the damn thing still goes back to original sender.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by mpk65281
    You would think it would bounce back to your server, but it actually bouces back to the original sender.

I used that method with three different email accounts forwarding messages to the @messaging.sprintpcs.com address and sprint bouces messages with attchements back to the original user.

It is frustrating because the sender thinks that their original message never made it to you when it fact it did (it just didn't get forwarded to your cell phone).

Give it a try by emailing yourself form another email address with an attachment. In a day or two it will bounce back (most of the time).

I even tried forwarding first to my yahoo account then forwarding to the cellphone, but the damn thing still goes back to original sender.
    Thanks for the warning. I will be on the lookout for evidence of this.

If this is true, then one more item to be disappointed with...
    Originally posted by mpk65281

Set up an account on Yahoo Mail. That actually will send you just an alert and because it isn't sending the whole message, it won't bounce back to the sender.
    Kurt,
    No sure how to setup Yahoo to send an SMS to the phone - can you give me the steps.

Thanks.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Set up an account on Yahoo Mail. That actually will send you just an alert and because it isn't sending the whole message, it won't bounce back to the sender.
    How would that help? I want to track the reception of email in my current accounts, not use another email account?
    That does work, buy Yahoo has a limit of alerts per day (I think it was 30).

It works by setting your main account to forward a copy of each email to the yahoo account. When I did it this way I also set up a filter to put those messages right in the trash after the alert so that they weren't piling up in there.
    I still don't know how to set Yahoo up to send an SMS message to the Treo - I have been looking at how to do this throughout their mail site.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    I just did a search in Yahoo help for alerts and there doesn't seem to be the option to have Yahoo send an SMS to your phone - if anyone can find this let me know.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    Originally posted by Smartphone Fan

How would that help? I want to track the reception of email in my current accounts, not use another email account?
    Many people already said they use something to forward to messaging.sprintpcs.com Instead you can forward to Yahoo and therefore not get a bounce back to the sender.
    I just did a search in Yahoo help for alerts and there doesn't seem to be the option to have Yahoo send an SMS to your phone - if anyone can find this let me know.
    You have to set up a filter and an alert at mobile.yahoo.com
    I figured it out. Thank you for all your help. For all those interested here is what I did:
    1) Setup a mailing list using my service provider - therefore one copy of the e-mail goes to a yahoo account and the other goes to my pop3 account
    2) Setup a filter in yahoo that when the to/cc address is my pop3 address it sends the e-mail to trash and notify's the Treo through SMS.

One problem - when my pop3 e-mail address is in the BCC field - no notifciation - anybody have a thought to solve this one.

I don't like the idea of having yahoo notify me whenever anything arrives in my Yahoo Mail inbox because a lot of trash gets sent there.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
  15.    #15  
    I figured it out. Thank you for all your help. For all those interested here is what I did:
    1) Setup a mailing list using my service provider - therefore one copy of the e-mail goes to a yahoo account and the other goes to my pop3 account
    2) Setup a filter in yahoo that when the to/cc address is my pop3 address it sends the e-mail to trash and notify's the Treo through SMS.

One problem - when my pop3 e-mail address is in the BCC field - no notifciation - anybody have a thought to solve this one.

I don't like the idea of having yahoo notify me whenever anything arrives in my Yahoo Mail inbox because a lot of trash gets sent there.
    Are we sure that yahoo will not have problems with forwarded email alerts?

Looking at the mobile device notification, when you select sprintpcs and enter your phone number, it enters the email address form of your phone number...

Look at the edit tab for the filter and the mobile device.

It enters ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com

It also indicates that the email will be forwarded to that address.

This is identical to the forward address I used at Bellsouth.net

Is the problem with using email forwarding to sms with any truncated email or only email with attachments?
    Seems to be working well - only problem was as I described before with the BCC field and if you get lots of e-mails a day Yahoo will only send a maximum of 30 SMS alerts per day it looks like. I'm going to keep trying this for a week or so and see how it goes.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca