Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why would handspring discontinue this??

http://www.handspring.com/products/t...at_name=Treo90
    What are you seeing that I'm not? Did you mean the "bundeling offer" with the CD was discontinued OR the Treo 90 in its entirety. I need to know because I just bought one yesterday and if there's another simular Treo 90 with :

- jog dial support
    - silkscreen region

..I'll dump this puppy and get the new one.

Thanks

Techlinks
  3.    #3  
    right from the page it says

Treo 90
    Only $299
    No longer available directly from Handspring.
    Still available through select retail locations. Find one near you.
    According to the rep...they don't have any new treo's in stock, they're waiting for a new shipment.

I asked if they were coming out with a new organizer, she says that at this point in time she hasn't heard anything. But if they do come out with a new product it won't be an organizer per say it will be a communicator.

In either case I just purchased mine I have 30 days to return so we'll see what happens.
    ~T*R*U*S*T~
  5.    #5  
    usually it says temporarily out of stock, this one says no longer available. i'd say the 90 lived a short life. strange.
    Hey All

Well so much for trusting HS reps apparently they're not in the loop. Both 90 & 180 has been discountined. SUCKS I JUST BROUGHT ONE.

Check out this post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=31460

My only thing is that I might end up staying with it. I don't need a phone (I already have a Motorola T720 runs on GSM). So it looks like my Treo 90 will be my next visor deluxe (with me until I upgrade again) about 3 to 4 yrs from now.

Oh well, at least the accessories will drop in price
    ~T*R*U*S*T~
    I e-mailed Handspring about the Treo 90 and received the following relpy:

"Thank you for contacting Handspring.

Handspring has sold out of the Treo 90 stock allocated for its web site, and
    moving forward plans to focus solely on communicators at
    http://www.handspring.com/, while driving organizer business its channel
    partners."

My guess is that what they are trying to say is "thanks for keeping us in business by purchasing our organizers but we don't really need you anymore!" I totally understand the desire to focus on communicators but that segment is so small it is difficult to see what Handspring is thinking.
    Originally posted by mnchzhd
    I e-mailed Handspring about the Treo 90 and received the following relpy:

"Thank you for contacting Handspring.

partners."

My guess is that what they are trying to say is "thanks for keeping us in business by purchasing our organizers but we don't really need you anymore!" I totally understand the desire to focus on communicators but that segment is so small it is difficult to see what Handspring is thinking.
    With all due respect to you . . .
    Really, this occurs all the time in technology products, but it shouldn't detract from your use and enjoyment of your Treo 90 for years to come! Most of these products have a very short life cycle.

Cheer up!
    Use and enjoy it!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Originally posted by mnchzhd

partners."
    in Germany they stopped selling ANY product though the www.handspring.de web site altogether. But that doesn't mean they don't make the treo 270 anymore that they were selling previously. Could it be that Handspring just stops selling the treo 90 through their web site but still manufactures them so that their 'channels' can still sell them?

Just a guess,
    andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    The life isn't really that short, compared to my NR70 .

So, what can we expect from Handspring? A Treo 360? A Visor (i know...but they might think that this is a good idea to get people back), or a brand new PDA/Phone under another company's name (which means that they were bought by another company)?
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    If this move by Handspring isn't enough to convince you they're about to tank, nothing is. Anyone foolish enough to purchase a Handspring product after this most recent (of many) customer abandonment deserves to be separated from their money.

Kupe
    This news is either extremely ominous or indicative of a new fruitful strategy. I lean to the fomer unfortunatley. It's becoming clear IMHO that this is the make or break year for HS. The next line of communicators is going to be a defining moment for this company. If they fail, say good bye to HS forever...
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    My beloved Treo has finally become obosolete. Mind you I got quite a bit of use out of it, so it's not THAT bad. And it will continue to work. But there is still the issue of the fact that it is obosolete! oh well..time to see what's coming down the pipeline.
    Alex.

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a Treo 90?
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    I'm not giving up hope on the 90 as no news source has picked this up yet. HS is notoriously tight lipped about discontinued and new items. They've said they were getting out of the PDA market before they released the 90 so this statement isn't new.

And if this were true, look at it this way: Palm has two OSs now that are both in development. OS4 (4.2 is being released in Asia soon) and OS5. So your 90 has the current version of OS4. It has SDIO. It's upgradable to OS4whatever, if HS pursues upgrades. It's a great little machine. If you can get it for $200, that's a bonus. I like the KB so much, I'm debating on getting a second one while they're cheap or saving for a future unit.
    I emailed HS to request information on the fate of the Treo 90 and received the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting Handspring. At this time, we do not plan on discontinuing the Treo 90. We are continuing to manufacture more and will also continue to support the Treo 90."

After walking away from the Visor line the way they did my original thought was that the Treo 90 was gone after retail inventories were depleted. Apparently thats not true and the slight possiblity of a new version of Handspring's last organizer remains.
    I heard from another source that Handspring wants to concentrate on color communicators, which doesn't include the treo90 nor the treo180. On the other hand I'm ratehr sceptical, too. Who knows, time will tell ....

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Here is the URL for the archived earnings call:

-- http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/confcall...1_16_2003_HAND

About 38 minutes into it is some Q&A - an analyst explicitly asks the CEO "When are you out of the organizer business" and the CEO explicitly says "This quarter is it - you might see some stragglers after this quarter but that's it".

Fast forward to 38 minutes and listen for yourself.

There is no ambiguity.

(nor at the 4 and half minute mark where the CEO also explicitly says "Selling out of 90s and 180s")
    I hate to be the eternal optometrist here, tyring to paint a bright outlook, but "you may see some stragglers", exactly what does that mean? The Treo90 seems to be a straggler, so does that mean a few more PDA models, or that they'll sell off the remaining 90s? Of course, I'm hoping HS will give us a shot at an OS5 pda. But then I'd take a Treo 300 to the gas chamber, just in case the governor would call.
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    I hate to be the eternal optometrist here...
    Lol!

You might just want to check your own "future vision" there!

You really should listen to the conference - no kidding. I paraphrased the actual comments made - the ACTUAL comments leave no doubt that HAND intends to get out of the organizer business as fast as they can - the "straggling sales" comment simply meant they might not be able to sell out everything this quarter - but they're sure gonna try!
    the eternal optometrist
    heh heh I'm finding the first part to be much more difficult than the second.

Unipalmer, O.D.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast