1.    #1  
    Is everyone still having problems accessing the sprintpcs SMTP servers? Are they still down? My SMS just started working again this morning - 10 messages blinked through from the last 3 days. I was hoping the abilty to send emails would come back up but no joy yet.
    Still down for me - now for about a week. Spoke with Tier 2 support today w/sketchy info. but he said it should be down another 12 hours or so. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Just checked -- working fine. If you have been successful in the past accessing the servers, ignore the following advice. Most people who have been unable to access Sprint's SMTP servers have had configuration problems. The main points to remember are that the servers require authentication (i.e., login with a username and password) and the proper username and password are essential. You must use the username and password set on the Vision website under the e-mail account settings. I have experienced very little downtime in the last 5 months. Best of luck.
  4.    #4  
    The problem is not a email client config problem. Sprint has a problem with some routers for the SMTP servers. It is a spotty regional thing based on the IP address that the units are setup for. That is why it works for some and not others. Changing the IP address to access different routers helped solve the problem.
    Sorry for the irrelevant post. Your description reminds me of the trouble I had with hanging and soft resets on data connection attempts that encountered network traffic. It was much worse in the NYC area than anywhere else. Hope they solve your troubles soon (or at least sooner than the soft reset issue!).
    HEllo all great forum.

I still cannot get sms or send mail from my treo 300. Sprint told me they would be down for a few hours two days ago.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I'm still having the problem. I'm not sure what's really going on. I'm able to receive email just fine, which tells me that Sprint's POP services are working OK.

From my PC, I can ping smtp.sprintpcs.com. From my PC, I can also try to send mail, but it is of course rejected: ‘relay not allowed'. This suggests that at least one of Sprint's SMTP servers are up. I'm trying to figure out why they can't simply redirect SMTP traffic to the servers that are up.

I've thought about complaining to Sprint to see if I can at least get a service credit. (It's been down a week so far.) What do you think?
    I finally gave up with sprint and their smtp server and opened up a fastmail.fm account and am now using their smtp server without any problems. Good luck with the sprint servers but for me it was worth the 14.95 to not have to use it again.
    > I finally gave up with sprint and their smtp server and opened up a
    > fastmail.fm account and am now using their smtp server without any
    > problems. Good luck with the sprint servers but for me it was worth the
    > 14.95 to not have to use it again.

For what it's worth, I just hunted down a random open relay server. The one I found is a little slow, and some mails will be dropped by some intended recipients (open relay servers are used by spammers, so some ISPs will ignore mail from those servers, but not usually), but it was a good temporary workaround.

But seriously ... the guys at Sprint could get one guy to spend a frickin' afternoon putting together a simple $200 linux box just configured as an smtp server. They could point their DNS for like "treo.sprintpcs.com" at it and tell their tier one support people to just tell smtp complainers to use that server instead. Holy crap. Three or four hours of work (and, seriously, a competent fellow could do all this in thirty minutes or less) to save hundreds of man hours a week in support. But nooooo. This is Sprint. They like embody masochism.

And their engineers probably get paid twice my salary. It's pathetic that this day and age an engineer can get paid well and not be given a fulfilling workload!

-JC
    Originally posted by jcholewa
    [B

<snip>

For what it's worth, I just hunted down a random open relay server. The one I found is a little slow, and some mails will be dropped by some intended recipients (open relay servers are used by spammers, so some ISPs will ignore mail from those servers, but not usually), but it was a good temporary workaround.

<snip>

-JC [/B]
    One of the other problems with this approach is that many corporate e-mail systems and Spam blocking engines will also tag email coming from known open relay servers as Spam and will never be delivered. This is becoming more and more common.
    > One of the other problems with this approach is that many corporate e-mail
    > systems and Spam blocking engines will also tag email coming from known open relay servers as Spam and will
    > never be delivered. This is becoming more and more common.

Yeah, that's essentially what I meant, in spirit if not in word, when I talked about ISPs ignoring the mail. Obviously, this is a temporary and not a permanent workaround. The permanent workaround likely involves my fingers around the throat of the nearest convenient Sprint representative.

You may be guessing that I've been listening to Sprint muzak on the phone for the past two and a half hours. You'd be right if you made that guess.

-JC
    Originally posted by jcholewa
    > One of the other problems with this approach is that many corporate e-mail
    > systems and Spam blocking engines will also tag email coming from known open relay servers as Spam and will
    > never be delivered. This is becoming more and more common.

Yeah, that's essentially what I meant, in spirit if not in word, when I talked about ISPs ignoring the mail. Obviously, this is a temporary and not a permanent workaround. The permanent workaround likely involves my fingers around the throat of the nearest convenient Sprint representative.

You may be guessing that I've been listening to Sprint muzak on the phone for the past two and a half hours. You'd be right if you made that guess.

-JC
    Been there, done that. Believe me I totally understand. Good luck!
    I finally got to a Tier 2 Sprint guy. He was nice enough to introduce me some of the undocumented features of the Treo 300 that lets the user do manual provisioning, a trick that other Sprint tech guys had said was impossible (hint: They built a command line interface into the netprefs log!). That is, of course, for my *other* Treo problem.

The SMTP problem has a bit of nice news. The tier 2 guy said that the servers are indeed messed up, and they are indeed being set up from scratch, and that this should be done by tomorrow evening.

So, hopefully, by the end of the week (or month, says my extra pessimistic mind) I'll be able to do things that other online palm users take for granted.

-JC
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    It looks like the Sprint SMTP servers came back up sometime this morning, at least for me in the Southeast Virginia area.

Hope they stay up so I can finally send e-mail using the Eudora
    app I installed last week.

Fred
    > It looks like the Sprint SMTP servers came back up sometime this morning,
    > at least for me in the Southeast Virginia area.

Thank you for the note. I was thinking about calling and asking Sprint about it, but I'd have to get to a Tier 2 support guy, and in the past two weeks (which involves at least five or six calls there), I've not experienced less than a half hour wait time for that (usually more than an hour, and once as long as two hours).

By perfect coincidence, my boss took a trip to Alabama today (we're in Long Island, NY, a few decamiles east of Manhattan). His Treo was configured to use some open relay smtp server in a foreign country (I think it was .ae, which'd be United Arab Emirates). I didn't think to set up multiple open relay servers for him to use, and that server disappeared totally today. So he can't send out from Eudora, and I don't want to go through the bother of having him change the Eudora prefs. And the only other Treo here is waiting the two hours to auto-provision (it's a replacement of a replacement, so pray for me to the deity of your choosing), so I can't test the smtp here yet. I set up a simple html form on our company's BSD web server, and that'll allow him to send out mail through Blazer for emergencies, but I still think that it's damned annoying that Sprint fixed the problem at the exact time that my boss couldn't have been farther from the home office.

Still, thanks for the heads up.

-JC