Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jsgraphicart
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Wondering if anyone out there has had success migrating ALL Contacts, Calendars (inc Categories), Memos, and Tasks SUCCESSFULLY from a Treo 680 to a more "recent" PalmOS device???

I am also curious how people have succeeded migrating from a Treo 650 or 680 (basically the same phone) to ANY later PalmOS phone - i.e. the 700 series, the 750 series, the 800 (I did not even know there WAS an 800?!?!?).

I LOVED my Treo 680. It was a fantastic BUSINESSMAN's phone and a True PDA / information Organizer.
    All these contemporary so-called smartphones that are designed so teenagers can chat on Facebook do nothing for me. So therefore I am looking to stay within the realm of a genuine PDA while possibly upgrading "slightly."

Sadly WebOS is a FAIL for me in this regard (please read my posts elsewhere for an explanation, but the long and short is that WebOS lacks huge amounts of PalmOS functionality).

Please chime in with your experience.

Thanks in advance.
    I went from a Treo680 to a Palm Pre- and now Pre2 with no problems what-so-ever in moving all of my data over. I used the transfer utility to move all data over. I ended up weeding out all of the non-needed contacts from my data (I had 700+ that weren't necessary), but you can keep whatever you need. Transferring everything out of your Palm Contact manager program into the webOS profile is pretty quick and easy.

I used my Treo's (multiple) for work and they were fantastic. I moved over to the Pre and while it took a bit of time to get used to coming from PalmOS, I find that webOS is fantastic for me as a business device. There are quirks to any OS, but I loved PalmOS for my work device... and once I got through the adjustment of coming into webOS from the old OS, I've been MORE than pleased with this system for a work phone. I can do things with this device I only dreamed up with the Treo. A lot of my trepidation when I first tried webOS was due to my being sooooo used to PalmOS. I just knew it. WebOS is that way for me now, but even more so. I really liked using my Treo's for work, but I'm even more productive using my webOS devices.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/19/2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Btw the 800 is a Windows Mobile device.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I went from a Treo680 to a Palm Pre- and now Pre2 with no problems what-so-ever in moving all of my data over. I used the transfer utility to move all data over. I ended up weeding out all of the non-needed contacts from my data (I had 700+ that weren't necessary), but you can keep whatever you need. Transferring everything out of your Palm Contact manager program into the webOS profile is pretty quick and easy.
    Can you please explain how you so easily transferred your data from your Palm Desktop (6.2?) to the Pre 3?
    I was told I had to use intermediary software like CompanionLink to make the jump, and CompanionLink did a moderate job at best. My notes and tasks ended up in the CompanionLink proprietary software instead of the plain and simple WebOS "tasks" and "memos" on the main phone, and I am missing 10 contacts or so (CompanionLink FAIL).

Any help MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thank You.

QUESTION for anyone who may have an answer:

It looks like the best PalmOS phone as far as "most recent" (meaning only 4 years old) was the Palm Centro.
    Do people think the Palm Centro was a good phone? A good upgrade from the Treo 680?

(*yes admittedly keeping myself a bit out of date, but maintaining the smooth functionality of PalmOS*)

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJotr View Post
    Thank You.

It looks like the best PalmOS phone as far as "most recent" (meaning only 4 years old) was the Palm Centro.
    Do people think the Palm Centro was a good phone? A good upgrade from the Treo 680?

(*yes admittedly keeping myself a bit out of date, but maintaining the smooth functionality of PalmOS*)

Thanks.
    I used a Palm Centro before the Pre Plus and loved it at the time. It was, however, my first Palm phone so I cant really compare it to any other Palm phone.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    The Palm Centro is a good device.
    It's a bit small and has the Palm famous jelly keys, but its pretty good in terms of functionality. (my Treo standards)
    It is essentially the same functionality of the Treo 755p in a smaller and different package.

The Treo 800w and Pro (aka 850w) were both WinMo devices.

Note: the Treo numbering, while usually logical, was a bit wonky once or twice.
    The 700p was a CDMA phone IIRC, the 680 was a slimmer, GSM one w/o the antenna. (succeeds the 650)

The 755p, then the Centro landed later.

I personally used the Palm PDA lines. (LD, Tungsten, Zire, m500, etc)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by AJotr View Post
    Thank You.

Thanks.
    You are not alone friend. I have this friend - no, really - that used Treos for years, then bought a Centro when they came out. He loves it. He has lots of apps, has cooked ROMs for them, has a nightly wireless backup, etc. He is all in. When they stopped selling them, he bought more for spares. He was intrigued by webOS but never bought in as long as his Centro kept breathing. I believe he is finally using the last one, with no clear path to a next phone when it quits. Maybe he will finally try it, but I suspect he will hold out as long as he can.

I went from palmOS to Windows Mobile for a while (thinking the Outlook sync would be more reliable.. it wasn't) then to webOS. I love it, but frustration (and app envy) got the best of me, and I bought an EVO 3D. Great phone, but I don't care much for Android - especially the UI. I'm hoping there's a future for webOS, because I'm about to switch back, in spite of the apps and one or two features I'll have to give up.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/19/2012 at 07:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I went from a 650 to 800. I was able to move the contacts. The windows mobile on the 800 was buggy. I love my pre 2 out of all.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    I think I must be the only one that never had problems with the 800. I still miss the Google Maps app from that phone, it was great. I will say though, the WiFi does NOT work well with my current router.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I have used a 680, Centro, T|X and Pixi+. Here's how I feel.

680- Great phone. What I disliked was the annoying white border and it's thickness.

Centro- Basically a smaller version of the 680. While the smaller screen (size, not resolution) is somewhat of a downgrade, it is the most rock solid POS device out of the box. Plus, it was the only device that finally got rid of the white border on the screen.

Pixi+- As a phone, it's wonderful. WebOS makes thing so quick and easy to do. However, thanks to the iPhone, it's cool to have reduced functionality. As such, unless you get a Pre or better, you won't have document editing. Although you do get a pdf viewer, it's garbage compared to the old PalmPDF or PDFToGo on POS. PIM applications copied Apple's junk, so it's many steps behind POS, even with patching. Email to is poor when compared to Chatteremail. Plus you get the added benefit of when replying to an email that had many replies, the Pixi will run so slow and almost freeze until you either delete the previous replies in the email or send it. However, you will never get a headache from random resets or reset loops. Also, you can get Classic and using Internalz, turn the trial off (why can't they just make it freeware as it is abandonware?) so that you can still take POS with you and have the benefits of both (and yes, w/ GraffitiAnywhere and the libraries, you can still have Graffiti when using Classic).

Bottom line is, I'd stick with the 680 since a custom ROM makes it just as stable as a Centro and the only bit you'll be missing then is the removal of the white border. However, I would say that if you need a device for personal use and one for work, here's what I would do. If you are willing to take a risk on the future, get WebOS for personal use and use either a 680 or a flashable T|X for work. This way, you can get things done efficiently with both since WebOS makes personal use easy with just type and a good browser and POS has all the right apps for business use. Classic is great and can simplify things into one device but nothing beats running natively. But, if you have no faith in WebOS' future, you can try Symbian which although it died at a similar time, it did die with a following that was as strong as POS fans.
    Very good points. I think you just made it a bit more difficult for anyone reading to finally dump Palm OS.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Classic is great and can simplify things into one device but nothing beats running natively.
    True, and running native wont lead to the potential compatibility issues - although they wont be likely if all one needed were the PIM apps. Having said that, Classic does have the advantage of running Palm OS much faster than native hardware If you thought Palm OS was responsive, try it on a Pre2. I'm considering buying one because of the Pre3/Classic incompatibilities and the fact that toting two devices is getting really old. I'd rather tote an extra Pre battery.

As long as the OP is testing things, the Pre2 w/ Classic may not be a bad idea; you may discover a thing or two. The 680 and Centro are tried and true but they wont ever be current. The Pre2 (webOS), OTOH, is still being developed for and has the potential to learn some old Palm OS tricks, natively or through emulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Very good points. I think you just made it a bit more difficult for anyone reading to finally dump Palm OS.

True, and running native wont lead to the potential compatibility issues - although they wont be likely if all one needed were the PIM apps. Having said that, Classic does have the advantage of running Palm OS much faster than native hardware If you thought Palm OS was responsive, try it on a Pre2. I'm considering buying one because of the Pre3/Classic incompatibilities and the fact that toting two devices is getting really old. I'd rather tote an extra Pre battery.

As long as the OP is testing things, the Pre2 w/ Classic may not be a bad idea; you may discover a thing or two. The 680 and Centro are tried and true but they wont ever be current. The Pre2 (webOS), OTOH, is still being developed for and has the potential to learn some old Palm OS tricks, natively or through emulation.
    Agreed. My overclocked Pixi does make POS run faster, but Classic still has its quirks. For example, I can't get internet access with it (should work, but I can't figure out why not). Also, I can't boost cache size or dynamic heap size to ensure stability (why MotionApps didn't use 30+M of cache and heap is beyond me, as PalmPDF in color would be nice). Classic is great, just speed isn't enough to make it good enough to completely replace native. Shame that MotionApps didn't pay attention to custom ROMs and UDMH when deciding memory sizes.
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    Have been using smartphones since attaching a Sprint PCS Digital Link to my old Handspring Visor. Moved up through the Palm Treo phones, and loved the simplicity of Palm OS. Tried an old Windows phone, and was turned off - went back to Palm.

Have been using Blackberries for the past few years, but now BB is looking to go to 10 and all-touch. That got me hankering for the old Treo series again - simple and efficient without bells and whistles I don't want.

So, found a Treo 755p on eBay for around $30. Picked it up, and wouldn't you know - my Mac still had all my settings for my old Treo from years back and loaded this one like it was the old one - sweet!

So, it's my backup for when I give up on Blackberry for good - then I'll downgrade back to my Palm OS device, and my Mac still syncs with it like a champ.
    John 3:16-18

Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Isnt it sad that today we have to 'downgrade' to get a decent experience? It says something about the market for these new phones that are being built, which is fine, but why not realize that there is also an under-served segment?
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalio View Post
    Given the explosion of smartphone use over the past several years, if I couldn't find a decent experience with all of those options, I would take a hard look at the way that I use smartphones and question my selection criteria rather than question the entire smartphone market. It's the same feeling I would get if I were trying to get somewhere in a crowded area and noticed that 99 percent of the people were walking in the opposite direction. No matter what my map was telling me, I would question it.
    Problem is the popularity of the iPhone made people accustomed to reduced functionality. As such, there aren't any email clients that can master Chatteremail. BB always requires 2 clicks, at a minimum to do anything. Most others don't let you do basic formatting. WebOS ends up freezing if you have too many replies. Similarly, multitasking was dropped. Windows went from multitasking in Wi-Mo to doing only save-states in Wi-Phone. That's a step backwards. Honestly for me, if POS was stable like WebOS, I'd still be using it since all the current OSs can't match many of the features it had.
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    Am selling my Blackberry Torch 9850 on eBay, and activated an old Treo 755p. Really seeing why I missed its functionality and simplicity. If BB comes out with a BB OS 10 device with a physical keyboard, I may upgrade again.
    John 3:16-18

Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930