Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the hopes of a non-technical response, I'd like to pose 2 very straightforward questions.

Situation: My IT department says they are testing various PDAs to synchronize email. They move at a snail's pace, and I have no hope they will move beyond the current blackberry capability they offer. They always claim there are firewall issues.

Desire: I would like to receive corporate email on whatever PDA/smartphone I get. Ideally, I'd like to be able to reply through my normal corporate email address so that back-and-forth email correspondence doesn't involve multiple email accounts. however, this is not an absolute requirement. I'm not too concerned about deleting messages on my PDA and having them also deleted on the corporate server either, but it might be nice.
    I would like to be able to read attachments, even if it's only in read-only format, as many of my email come with something to look at in Word, Excel or Powerpoint.

Question 1: Assuming I walk home from the store with one of these, can I fulfill the above desire without ever having to interact with my corporate IT department and how? I'd be happy to pay personal out of pocket money to make this happen, if it will really work. I don't trust my IT department to be very helpful in the near future. This is not a priority for them.

Question 2: I'm really interested in internet browing capability. With Sprint, it sounds like I can just sign up for their service, which would include an email account if I wanted. Treo has its own email, Palm does too. Assuming, again, that I walk home from the store with this device and quickly get started without getting bogged down, will I be able to pull it out, charge it, and go surfing or will I need to set up an ISP (as I have at home with Earthlink)?

Sorry to have to cut through the technical stuff.

Mark
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I just got a Treo 300 last week and am doing almost all of what you're looking for now.

Web - You don't need another ISP - Sprint is your ISP and you get unlimited web browsing and other data on their Vision plans.

Email - It sounds like you don't have POP access to your corporate email. You can get your email without involving IT, but you'll need to have a computer running that's connected to your company's exchange server. If you do, you can use Treo Mail Corporate ($100 / year) or Sprint Business Connection Personal ($5/mo) to notify you of new mails on your handheld and sync mail to your handheld. You can check out other posts regarding the tradeoffs between the two. I believe there are also a couple of other similar services. Business connection lets you attach files from your computer to outgoing mail, but I'm sure sure about actually receiving and viewing attachments on the handheld.
    Originally posted by msneider

<snip>

They always claim there are firewall issues.

<snip>

Mark
    Typical response from IT when they get lazy.

If your company is running Exchange, they should be able to bring up OWA and add this little and cheap utility to give you secure and complete access to your corporate e-mail, calendar, to-do list, address book, etc.
    Your description is virtually identical to mine. Here's what I do:

If you're running Outlook as the client to Exchange, both TreoMail and Sprint's Business Connection require your PC to be connected to Exchange in order to redirect mail over to your Treo. As far as I can tell, that's really the main (and only) downside to 'redirector' apps. Otherwise, TreoMail, for me, works great. I tried BizConn for about 4 months, but eventually bailed due to the handheld app being unstable (causing numerous soft resets, which in and of themselves are not a HUGE deal, but still...), and the PC software also frequently bombing out into the 'not responding' mode. Either one would probably be fine for you, again presuming your friendly IT folks run Exchange as the mail server.

As far as attachments, I've been using, with pretty good success, a mail attachment forwarding thing called 'PrinterOn' (www.printeron.net) - when you get a msg with an attachment, you basically fwd that msg to their servers, and they reformat and send back the clear text. Works best, obviously, with Word files. I've used it with Excel - not that great, and I've never tried viewing ppt files. They also have the ability to fwd attachments to fax machines, and that has worked great for me while traveling. For example, I rec'd some diagrams via attachment that I needed to review and confer with some co-workers on, so I sent the attachment to the hotel fax, went down and picked 'em up, and had some copies made. All good.

See if that helps. Good luck!
    Warning: I'm an IT professional, and am a little more sympathetic to that side of the house than other contributers to this thread. So there are some digs below.

Web - as previously stated, web access is enabled within 24 hours of your purchase through Sprint. If you are happy with the supplied Blazer browser, you can just start bowsing. Web access is limited by the limitations of Blazer and other PDA browsers. They are not as compatible with all of the web content out there as standard desktop browsers, so many sites, including, ironically, Sprint's web site, are not accessible. But the types of things that you generally want to do on a PDA - look up addresses, get maps, look up information work fine. Search here for links to PDA-friendly sites.

EMail - there are technical questions that have to be asked of your IT personnel to determine whether you can access your corporate email from the Treo.

Note that, in 99.9% of the organizations in the world, IT supports company policies, they don't set them, so, if the company policy is to prohibit access for security reasons, slandering your IT department reflects more on your lack of comprehension regarding corporate culture than it does on their effectiveness. That said, if your company policies allow POP or IMAP access to their email systems, there are email clients available for the Treo that can do what you want. You don't have to understand what POP and IMAP mean - you just need to know what the sending and receiving server names are. With that information, setting up a free POP client like Eudora is pretty simple.

If someone at my workplace (where I serve as VP of Information Technology) were to install Sprint's "bypass the security policy" corporate access software without permission from management, I would see that they were written up and the software removed. And we do software audits, as required by our financial auditors (what? You think we do them just to harass you? No, we actually have lives).

Sending mail outside of your corporate address book might be trickier. If your IT people allow you to send internet mail via their systems from your PDA, then they should be, to put it non-technically, um, shot. Allowing that functionality would allow spammers to route mail through their systems, as well. You may think that IT makes these rules in order to persecute you, but, sometimes, the limitations are not so personal and are necessary compromises in order to actually run secure systems.

In the above case, if you want to send Internet mail (as opposed to corporate), than you should do it via your Sprint account.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
  6.    #6  
    I am fully aware that IT often does not set the policy, or at least not independently. My frustration lies more with the apparent slowness to work out a fix than the concern about security, which is certainly valid.

Our company uses LotusNotes, so I don't know if that changes the answer. Also, it would be inconvenient to have to have my computer on at all times (but not necessarily a deal stopper), as I usually take my laptop with me on trips and traveling in cabs and waiting at airline gates, or simply hanging out on the weekend would be when I most need the remote access to emai.

However, I will copy some of this to our IT department (not the inflammatory quotes, of course) and see what they say. I have a feeling increasing numbers of employees will be asking the same question this year given what's happening in the market.
    Originally posted by pcampbell
    Warning: I'm an IT professional, and am a little more sympathetic to that side of the house than other contributers to this thread. So there are some digs below.

<snip>

EMail - there are technical questions that have to be asked of your IT personnel to determine whether you can access your corporate email from the Treo.

Note that, in 99.9% of the organizations in the world, IT supports company policies, they don't set them, so, if the company policy is to prohibit access for security reasons, slandering your IT department reflects more on your lack of comprehension regarding corporate culture than it does on their effectiveness. That said, if your company policies allow POP or IMAP access to their email systems, there are email clients available for the Treo that can do what you want. You don't have to understand what POP and IMAP mean - you just need to know what the sending and receiving server names are. With that information, setting up a free POP client like Eudora is pretty simple.

If someone at my workplace (where I serve as VP of Information Technology) were to install Sprint's "bypass the security policy" corporate access software without permission from management, I would see that they were written up and the software removed. And we do software audits, as required by our financial auditors (what? You think we do them just to harass you? No, we actually have lives).

Sending mail outside of your corporate address book might be trickier. If your IT people allow you to send internet mail via their systems from your PDA, then they should be, to put it non-technically, um, shot. Allowing that functionality would allow spammers to route mail through their systems, as well. You may think that IT makes these rules in order to persecute you, but, sometimes, the limitations are not so personal and are necessary compromises in order to actually run secure systems.

In the above case, if you want to send Internet mail (as opposed to corporate), than you should do it via your Sprint account.
    In my opinion, your view is very narrow minded. While your points are well taken there are many things than can be done to preclude security concerns and still allow the sending and receiving of e-mail through the corporate server. The visionary companies are developing wireless IT strategies that address all of these needs. The intent is not to "bypass" the security policy but to work with it and there are many ways of so doing. VPN for one. Your statement "If your IT people allow you to send internet mail via their systems from your PDA, then they should be, to put it non-technically, um, shot. Allowing that functionality would allow spammers to route mail through their systems, as well." just isn't true if you have a secure e-mail server and are up on the times. We allow this and have never, ever had a problem with spammers, hackers or being blacklisted on an ORB.

IT (and "Corporate Policy") rules, in my opinion, are the means to an end. Not the end in themselves. Technology changes, the way people use technology changes and the supporting infrastructure has to change with it. To suggest that one of your users (btw, your customer) use an outside e-mail system (sprintpcs) is absurd in the extreme. I can only say, I am glad in run the company I do rather than be in your company. I'd never get anything done.

I'm off my soapbox now.
  8. NBP
    msnieder,

Again, my situation sounds very much like yours and I've been able to accomplish all of what you'd like to (although haven't tried anything with attachments yet - only had my Treo for 5 days). I can tell you this:

1) My company uses LotusNotes 5.0
    2) I use Sprint Business Connect - Personal
    3) I did not talk with my IT dept
    4) I can send and receive from my Notes account, with no visible trace that they came from my Treo. Deleting mail on my Treo deletes them from my desktop/server. My Treo and my desktop mailbox always look identical.
    5) Biz Connect also lets you access your corporate phone directory. In other words, I can look up the phone # and e-mail address of any one of the 50,000+ employess that work at my firm.
    6) Biz Connect also allows me to access a folder on my corporate server. This works out well for me b/c all of my files are in subfolders of one main folder. Biz Connect allows me to access ANY of those subfolders and the files within. Included herein are mostly .doc, .xls, and .ppt files.
    7) Sprint Biz Connect also provides a web interface to access anything from above from any online computer - including e-mail, documents, calendar, corp directory.
    8) Although I haven't tried this yet, I believe you can still travel with your laptop. The redirect software just needs to be loaded on somebody's computer at the office. So, if you have an assistant, you can load the software on his/her computer with your username and password and it should still forward all of your info along.

The Treo with BizConnect has surpassed any high expectations that I had of it.
    1. Your F*&%ed if you have to go through your IT staff

2. Sprint Business Connection is terrible - will waste 10 minutes of your time every time you want to open an e-mail. (It doesn't actually download your messages.

3. Treo Mail won't work because you probably want to take your computer with you when you leave the office (Your laptop). (It won't run unless you have your computer up and running 24x7)

4. Your only option I see is to use Visto - and they make you pay about $500 for just a couple licenses.
    OR
    See if you can ask your IT company to create a POP3 access to e-mail - (this is what I eventually got my company to do)

Best of luck!

GR
    I have similar wants for accessing my work e-mail from the treo. I don't think sprint business connection will work for me- how does it connect to the PC that is connected to the exchange server? That is the part I really don't get--- But I think my best bet is like described above- getting my IT person to set it up for POP3 access. He tells me we do have POP3 e-mail (outlook, exchange server, T1 line) but I have never been able to set up an e-mail program to access it. I think there is something he needs to do on this end. He is really an MIS guy and I'm not sure if he knows what to do. Any suggesstions????

Marcy
  11. NBP
    Originally posted by marcyf
    I don't think sprint business connection will work for me- how does it connect to the PC that is connected to the exchange server?
    It's just software that you load onto your own PC and it runs continuously. Sort of like HotSync, RealAudio, or any other application you might have running in your applications toolbar.
    If you can leave your PC behind and connected to your network when you leave the office or travel (not everyone can nor is allowed to by their IT staff), then either TreoMail or Business Connection should work for you, notwithstanding the comments from the poster above your last one.

Both TreoMail and BizConn require your PC to be actively connected to the network - they have software that sits on your PC and redirects mail over to your Treo. So - as long as you don't HAVE to have your PC with you when you're out of the office, either of those programs will work. The very nice thing about both of them is that they essentially mirror what's taking place on your PC (since all messages flow 'through' your PC) - when you delete a message on the Treo, that same message is deleted on the PC. When you send a message from your Treo, that message appears in the 'Sent Items' folder on your PC. Very nice for being able to go back and maybe re-send or check something later, whatever.

The downside of using another mail account to access your Exchange mail is that you'd be dealing with a completely separate mail account - whatever you do in that POP account would not be reflected back in your work mail account - there's no replication of activity. In other words, when you get back to the office and look into Exchange (or whatever), a bunch of messages that you would have read, forwarded, replied to, whatever, would <probably> still show as unread, as if you had not accessed those messages at all (since the mail server would not have known that you had done anything with those messages, if you're using POP).
    So - many choices. It all depends on if you can leave your PC behind - if so, then go with with TreoMail or BizConn (I tried 'em both, and I prefer TreoMail, but everyone has different needs and preferences). Good luck.
    nrosser- thanks! That is the closest I have come so far to undertstanding how those programs work. They actually just route your exchange e-mails to you on your treo, not a direct connection. OK. I didn't realize treomail did that too- I'll take a look at it.

Thanks very much.

Marcy
    I'm still struggling with anyway to access our company e-mail through e-mail software (2banywhere or eudora for ex.). I may use the sprint business connection, but it does seem there should be a way to just check e-mail without that- it is pop3 e-mail. We have MS exchange server 5.5, a T1 line, and outlook 98. Is there some advice or tips I can give our MIS guy about how to make that work?

Marcy
    8) Although I haven't tried this yet, I believe you can still travel with your laptop. The redirect software just needs to be loaded on somebody's computer at the office. So, if you have an assistant, you can load the software on his/her computer with your username and password and it should still forward all of your info along.

I have found that when I install the software on my admin's desktop while I am away on travel with my laptop, that it happily forwards to my Treo _her_ email.

Suggestions?
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com

I have found that when I install the software on my admin's desktop while I am away on travel with my laptop, that it happily forwards to my Treo _her_ email.
    Suggestion: Install it on your desktop.

Apparently, it's going to forward the mail for whomever is logged in. Anyone up for some corporate espionage? Sprint is your partner. And I get flack for suggesting that this software shouldn't be installed without management approval... sheesh!
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Originally posted by pcampbell

Suggestion: Install it on your desktop.

Apparently, it's going to forward the mail for whomever is logged in. Anyone up for some corporate espionage? Sprint is your partner. And I get flack for suggesting that this software shouldn't be installed without management approval... sheesh!
    Well, that's just it. My admin has a desktop that stays put, I have a laptop that get's shut down every time I go on the road. I can't install it on mine and get forwarding when the laptop is off.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    set up a rule to forward your email (or a subset based on domain names etc.).

you can forward it to your sprint mailbox and retrieve it with eudora. you can also send with eudora using your corporate email return address.

and/or forward it to yahoo (that way you can even view attachments thru blazer).

and/or forward it to your phone number so you get notified to check either eudora or yahoo.

you'll love it!
    Originally posted by BillPetro

Suggestions?
    Bill -

When you set it up, did you go through "share connections" under the Links menu of the Biz Conn program, or did you just download it onto your admin's computer?

As I understand it, if you go through "share connection" it will know to send your email even though it's your admin's 'puter.

Dunno, maybe you've already tried this.

- Needles
  20.    #20  
    Thanks everyone for responding to the original post.

My original question was how to synch email with Lotus Notes without involving an entirely new email account (i.e. I don't want people to respond to a Sprint account when I do all my mail on my corporate account unless the two could in effect be merged).

If i understand correctly from the responses, my choices are either to have my IT department install some sort of server or test an application that gets through their VPN/firewall. Or, get something plug-and-play that would reside on a computer that has to be connected, either mine or an assistant. (i have no assistant and only a laptop).

Does this mean, at the end of the day, that I'm out of luck if I want to have my Treo, 7135, W, or whatever function like a Blackberry without the involvement of my IT department? By the way, I wouldn't necessarily be against paying for something to be installed at our office if I could share the expense with other potential users.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast