Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Altho I posted earlier, you might also try Visto's Message XPress - their software is what powers TreoMail, and I think they have a Notes version. Bottom line, you either have to leave your PC on or get the IT folks to install a version of either TreoMail or BizConn on the Notes server if you want to take your PC with you (that's what Blackberry does - runs ON the mail server, behind the firewall).
    www.visto.com
    Good luck.
    fyi, here's a solution I use on my sidekick, and hopefully, soon on a treo 300.

Normally, when you set up an agent to forward your work email to another email address, when it arrives it's from your work email address and the subject is stripped. If you reply, you're replying to yourself so you have to strip that out and the subject is also not the original senders subject.

Here's an inexpensive solution that requires no IT involvement. You just install it into your mailbox.

It's basically a forwarding agent on steroids. It will forward an email, but it strips out your from email address and adds the senders email address. It also adds the senders subject line. So it looks like you're accessing your work email on your Treo. Set up your Treo email account's from address (or any email account) to be your work addresss. Now, when you reply, it looks like it's coming from you at work.

This agent can be configured to automatically send a copy of sent messages from the Treo in to you sent folder. It can also be set to only forward at specific times, and to also forward meeting notices, etc...You still get all your email on your desktop at work too.

First three months are free and it's $60 after that. Check it out, works great for me.
    Originally posted by msneider

If i understand correctly from the responses, my choices are either to have my IT department install some sort of server or test an application that gets through their VPN/firewall. Or, get something plug-and-play that would reside on a computer that has to be connected, either mine or an assistant. (i have no assistant and only a laptop).
    This is the way I understand the situation and my IT department is way against both solutions. In fact the second method of a PC always on that is redirecting the email is grounds for firing.

Is there a wasy I can use the Treo300 wireless modem to dial into a corporate dialup account to retrieve email from behind a firewall? The Network prefs seem to only be for packet data networks, but hotsync seems to support wireless modem to phone modem. I'm trying to use Eudora for this currently and it can access the Sprint network only from which I can't tunnel into our coporate servers. Basically I want the TREO to look like my laptop to the corporate servers so I can download email directly to the TREO and browse inside the firewall.
    Let me clarify how the peer-to-peer connection sharing function of SPCS BC works. This is from a post I did a few months back:

With the service-based peer-to-peer capabilities of the software it requires at least one PC on the office network to be on, connected to the same domain in your corporate network and running the PCS Business Connection software.

For example, you and I are both SprintPCS subscribers with BC service, I send you an invitation from the software to share a connection. The software generates an email which is sent to you describing my request and giving you a link to download the Business Connection software. Providing you accept the invitation and install the software, you and I would then share a connection. This means that as long as one of our PCs is up and running on the same corporate domain and running the Business Connection software, we can both get to our email, calendars and the files in the one file folder we have designated when setting up the software. The neat part about the software and this feature is that you can set up sharing with multiple people in the office that are PCS subscribers using PCS web service which increases the chances of having a PC that is on. Additionally, all of the traffic across this connection is secure so that I don't see or have access to your data or vice versa.

It is important to note that for service based connection sharing to be utilized that all persons sharing connections have to be SPCS subscribers and registered for a BC account.
    Hi,

I could not find the answer for my situation.

We use Outlook to access Exchange. I was told I could get my e-mail via POP but VPN is also needed.

Is there a solution to get e-mail via POP through VPN?

We have webmail access but I tried it on a Treo 300 and it complained about some java thingy once I tried to log-on. Maybe I could try another browser to see if that supports it?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Sprinter
    Hi,

I could not find the answer for my situation.

We use Outlook to access Exchange. I was told I could get my e-mail via POP but VPN is also needed.

Is there a solution to get e-mail via POP through VPN?

We have webmail access but I tried it on a Treo 300 and it complained about some java thingy once I tried to log-on. Maybe I could try another browser to see if that supports it?

Thanks!
    I don't think there is a VPN client for the Palm platform that would allow you to do a port re-direct. If someone finds one, let me know.

As was mentioned in this thread some time ago, you could use OWA for Exchange and this utility. It works great and gets by the VPN issue.
    Originally posted by Maniac8888

I don't think there is a VPN client for the Palm platform that would allow you to do a port re-direct. If someone finds one, let me know.

As was mentioned in this thread some time ago, you could use OWA for Exchange and this utility. It works great and gets by the VPN issue.
    Hi Maniac8888,

But the software at the link you provided needs to be installed on the Exchang server? I was hoping for a solution that does not need to involve our IT guys.

I am able to use OWA from my desktop, but not from Blazer (Login fails for some Java reason I think).

Thanks.
    Yes, it does need to be installed on the Exchange server but it takes less than 5 minutes. Certainly the cost is not an issue. You will probably have to sell the advantages of providing this capability to handheld devices. <sigh>

Like I said, it works great for us.

BTW, the reason you are having challenges with OWA as it indeed requires Java and neither Blazer or Xiino will support it.
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    Yes, it does need to be installed on the Exchange server but it takes less than 5 minutes. Certainly the cost is not an issue. You will probably have to sell the advantages of providing this capability to handheld devices. <sigh>

Like I said, it works great for us.

BTW, the reason you are having challenges with OWA as it indeed requires Java and neither Blazer or Xiino will support it.
    Does anyone know of a Palm OS browser that supports Java (so OWA will work)?
    This is probably the best place to post this question, and the posts in this thread may answer this question, but I'm just too dense to see that , but here goes again:

Hi- don't know whether this is the right thread, but thought I'd try.

Our IS department has just put the Treo 300 on its list of "disapproved" devices. Here's their explanation:

"We need to to stem the tide of [the use of Treo 300s]... since they require full and total user access to [the Windows registry on desktop computers]. If there were enough [Treo 300s], we could potentially lose control of our desktops, or the users of them could unknowingly infect their PC, or drop a worm behind our defensive outer wall.

Handspring has no date as to when they will not need Windows Registry Read/Write/Edit access to run their software."

It would seem to me that this can't be the case, or if so, there's something that our IS folks are missing. Can anyone help? I am not an IS type, I'm just a frustrated user who is seeing a change in my work environment that will hamper my use of a very helpful technology- I can't imagine that Handspring/Sprint would have designed a system that would potentially compromise the security of a corporate network, or machines on a corporate network- or would they?

Thanks for anyone who can give me further info- or suggest to me a place where I can get further info. to pass on to our IS folks.

You might be a bit better off by not posting the same message multiple times. A few of us have responded to your other post in the VPN thread.
    I've been using Business Connection and have encountered a problem.

If I have Business Connection client running on my PC, everything works fine.

If I have Business Connection client running only on my adminstrator's PC who I share connection with, I can access my email, but get error message if I try to send email.

Anybody experience this problem? Is there any work around? Could it have something to do with my adminstrator's security/delegation settings re Exchange?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12